FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Cyberpunk OSC

Author Topic: Cyberpunk OSC
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to a friend about scifi and he said that he likes cyberpunk, but not much else. So I was trying to think of what OSC would fit into that catagory. So far I've got Dogwalker and A Thousand Deaths from Flux, but I haven't read his other short story collections. I'm not sure if any of his novels fall into cyberpunk. Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, those are the only two I can think of.

I'm pretty sure that OSC actually had a pretty big write up on why he wrote Dogwalker as Cyberpunk in the "Maps in a Mirror" collection, too. Interesting read.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't categorize them as such, but I've seen Ender's Game and Speaker for the dead described as cyberpunk, because of Jane and the net manipulations Peter and Valentine did.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Dogwalker is the only fiction that OSC himself labeled as cyberpunk.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
What about A Thousand Deaths? It's got the all-powerful communist gov't persecuting a rebelious underground with far out sophisticated technology. There's not a whole lot of gatchets and electronics, though. Is that enough to disqualify it from cyberpunk?

quote:
I wouldn't categorize them as such, but I've seen Ender's Game and Speaker for the dead described as cyberpunk, because of Jane and the net manipulations Peter and Valentine did.
But that's a good hook to get my friend interested in OSC!
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah-- it's missing the cyberpunk jargon. And the technology is a backpiece; in cyberpunk, technology is much more influential.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not entirely sure what the definition of cyberpunk is, but there was a short story called Closing the Time Lid or something like that that seems to qualify.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
The only "officially cyberpunk" story OSC wrote was called "Dogwalker."
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It must be very difficult to get on the official cyberpunk literary registry [Wink]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.