FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Named my baby boy Ender

Author Topic: Named my baby boy Ender
Shermhead
Member # 10341

- posted      Profile for Shermhead   Email Shermhead         Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought maybe Orson might like to know I named my baby Ender... I only told my wife it meant "fountain" which is true.

Photos here
http://picasaweb.google.com/shermhead/BabyReedSFirstSet

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww... Cuteness!
*head asplodes from cuteness of Ender*

And welcome to Hatrack, dude.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cute.

But, um, you named him Andrew, nickname Ender, right?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally darling!
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
He's VERY cute.... How big was he? How is parenthood treating you?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shermhead
Member # 10341

- posted      Profile for Shermhead   Email Shermhead         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone.. thanks for the welcome and the comments.

Ender is a great newborn in comparison to what other people have said about newborn behavior.. there is always a maximum of a three step proccess of elimination and a easy solution to soothing him.

I named him Ender and not Andrew because I wanted a unique name. I was actually consdering "Bean" for a hot second because he was born at 6lbs 2oz but, if genetics carry over he'll be 6"2 or taller at maturity like his daddy.

Im glad I found this great site.. thanks again all.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Your family is lovely. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Perplexity'sDaughter
Member # 9668

- posted      Profile for Perplexity'sDaughter   Email Perplexity'sDaughter         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, I seriously considered naming my son Ender too.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought, while I agree that 'Ender' is a nice sounding and unique name, have you ever wondered how your son's classmates are going to react to that name?

Sadly, boys can turn nearly anything into innuendo of sexual or non-sexual nature. Any chance 'Ender' might become 'Suspender' which is about the nicest twist on the name that I can think of?

I'm not saying you are wrong. I think short of some mild teasing which every kid must endure, it will probably work out OK. But it is something you should have seriously considered before you gave him that name.

Let me be clear here, I'm not criticizing you. I think it will work out OK especially when there is a heroic story behind the name. I'm merely curious if you look at the long term consequences of such an unusual name.

To show that I'm not biased against unusually names, I liked George Costanza's* idea of naming his kid 'Seven', odd as it is, it does have a nice ring to it.

* Jason Alexander - George Costanza - 'Seinfeld'

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a boy and a girl, and when we were pregnant with our third - another boy - we seriously considered Andrew, as our own private in-joke. Ended up not using it, but I know where you're coming from.

Sometimes when he's not listening, I call him "Third". [Smile]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

Just so you know, we've met several very young Enders at book signings. One was a girl. The oldest one we've met was about 16 at the time and that was a couple of years ago. He HAD to be the first one named for the character. The rest of them have been very young! So your Ender will not be all alone.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

You also might be interested in this little "fun fact" listed on the page about Ender's Game on this website. I quote it here:

Twenty-two years after the story of Ender Wiggin first appeared in print, Orson Scott Card learned that the name "Ender" really exists - in Turkish. The name means "one in a million" or "something that is rarely found" - an extraordinarily appropriate name for Ender Wiggin. Card affirms, however, that he had no notion that the name actually existed in any language - he coined it only to allow the title "Ender's Game" to be reminiscent of "endgame" in chess. The correspondent who informed Card of the meaning of the name is himself named Ender. "Many people are named Önder in Turkey," he writes, "so Ender is a rare name even in Turkey."

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

I wouldn't be too worried about unique names. At least Ender is easy to pronounce. It's not like ANY name you give a child will be safe from teasing, even nice normal names like... hmmm.. Richard for instance?

Besides, Ender sounds nice. I grew up with a name that is fairly unusual, Dacia, and also impossible for most people to either spell or pronounce. When I got ready to name my son, I didn't want to give him a hard to pronounce name, however I also wanted it to be something semi-unique, because I know my best friend (Jennifer) hated ALWAYS having to give a last name. We went with Azriel because it fit those two classifications and also meant "Help of God".

Ender is a great name, be proud of it, and your son! I'm sure he really is "one in a million".

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mean to get side tracked, but I can't help wondering about all the boys who are likely to end up named 'Draco' in the very near future. Though I suspect, there are already a few. 'Ender' is at least a heroic name, but Draco is the bad guy, Slytherin through and through. That doesn't bode well in my book.

Sorry for the distraction.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Flaming Toad on a Stick beat me to the cuteness punch. He is so totally cute.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charistay
Member # 10424

- posted      Profile for Charistay   Email Charistay         Edit/Delete Post 
Shermhead:

Egads. The cuteness! He really is adorable.

And Bean? Haha. IF you did that, then your son would endure MUCH teasing and strange looks. You could have gone with Julian though.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemonymous
Member # 2662

- posted      Profile for Lemonymous   Email Lemonymous         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's anything wrong with the name. Yeah, kids are going to be rough about it but if they want to pick on you they'll find a way. I had all sorts of nicknames when I was younger. And I hated them. Had nothing to do with my name.

Meanwhile, my stage name is Ender Bowen so... It was just going to be Ender but I couldn't get away with it - too many plain ol Ender bands out there.

Ender

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

I heard the most pitiful name for a kid today. Pegasus Vanderwende... poor kid is in middle school right now. I'm sure it gets butchered all the time.
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I almost named our latest son Ender, but went with Julian instead.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.