FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC at SVU

Author Topic: OSC at SVU
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've checked the tab at the top of the screen. But that article is nearly two years old now, and I've heard recent news that somewhat bothers me.

I've been told by someone who's attending OSC's class this semester that this is OSC's final semester teaching at SVU. This is apparently something that Mr. Card said during one of his lectures.

I've been hoping to take one of his lectures in a future semester (I'm a new freshman here this semester). He also told me himself that he was planning on offering courses in later semesters.

Sorry if I'm bothering you, Mr. Card, but could I possibly have some clarification on this matter?

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott says "I've been teaching every semester, and this past semester directed a play as well. During that time I wrote nothing longer than a novella. I have to cut back drastically on both teaching and play directing in order to write the books. But I'm hoping to work out a one-semester-in-four schedule at SVU so that any four-year student will get a couple of chances to take one of my writing or literature classes. And students who don't want to take any classes from me will have far more opportunities than before."
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a valid concern. But you know, Scott (if you read this thread), people make a living teaching too, so if you enjoy it, I sure hope you find a way to afford it!

But it certainly is hard to swap back and forth between jobs.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
I love OSC's sense of humor. That quote was classic.

Sad for those at SVU, but good for those of us waiting for his books.

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY! That means he will start writing some more!

Woot!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, sounds like a good thing to me. [Smile]
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit that, in a choice between an excellent professor and an excellent author, I'd really rather have the author.

Good choice, OSC.

--By the way, did he mention when he'd next be teaching? I'm leaving on my mission in a year, so I was wondering if I'd get an opportunity prior to my leave.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caedus
Member # 10437

- posted      Profile for Caedus   Email Caedus         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh good, now (once he is done writing a bit) he can teach at Elon. It's only 20 minutes from Greensboro. [Razz]
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.