FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Remember OSC story about the "Fall" from Eden?

Author Topic: Remember OSC story about the "Fall" from Eden?
Elizdo
Member # 10421

- posted      Profile for Elizdo   Email Elizdo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I'm researching examples of "dealing with the devil" for a book for business people. (Somehow seems relevant [Wink] )

I seem to recall a short story by OSC where an arrogant young man believes he is so virtuous that, had he been in the Garden of Eden, Man would never have fallen.

Does that ring any bells for anyone?

Thanks.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I vaguely recall hearing that another story in the Pastwatch universe would deal with "Eden" like Pastwatch dealt with Noah and the flood.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the next Pastwatch book was supposed to be based more on The Flood. Wasn't that the point? The first one was about Christopher Columbus with the inclusion of the original short story "Atlantis" that contained some brief information about Noah and the flood.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
"Atlantis" is the short story that preceded Pastwatch and goes into far more detail about Noah/Gilgamesh and the flood/Atlantis.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Isn't it included in one of the chapters in the first Pastwatch book? Chapter six, maybe? I don't have my copy on hand.

Edit:

I think it's the chapter that introduces us to Kemal (I think that's his name...) ?

Edit Again: Maybe not the whole story, but I think part of it is in there for sure. So, there's a little info. I think The Flood is supposed to be the second book. The Flood was a projected prequel/sequel to the first novel. I think. Which would then be followed by, tentatively titled, Pastwatch: The Garden. Or something along those lines. I think OSC posts about it on here somewhere. I'll look for it.

[ April 10, 2007, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
The Pastwatch books aren't a series like the others, because the first Pastwatch DID the "change the past" thing, and given the rules of the universe there, it UNDID Pastwatch. So there can't be sequels - only prequels!

The Flood story is already complete before the beginning of Redemption of Columbus; and the Garden of Eden story will take place (that is, the Pastwatch part of it) WHILE the Columbus expedition is being prepared, so that the things they learn are NOT included in the summation of human knowledge that they take with them into the past.

You're more right than I. But I was on the right track. I admit that I was wrong. I admit defeat.

[ April 10, 2007, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Isn't it included in one of the chapters in the first Pastwatch book? Chapter six, maybe? I don't have my copy on hand.

There is a chapter in Pastwatch which talks about Noah and the flood, but it doesn't go into nearly the detail that Atlantis does.
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Worthing Saga may be what you are thinking of.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
an arrogant young man believes he is so virtuous that, had he been in the Garden of Eden, Man would never have fallen.
Sure sounds like something Abner Doon would believe.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Oh, you don't even want to go there. [Wink]

Abner Doon is one of my favorite characters.

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
... and his modesty and constant displays of humility are most honorable... oh wait... [Razz]
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like Camelot to me, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't one of the plays that OSC wrote.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by kacard:

No, I'm just wrong. I havne't read that one yet. I keep going to bookstores, and they don't copies of it in very good shape. It always seems like the binding is not well done whenever I look. So, I haven't read that one.
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see an OSC version of camelot. that would be cool.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmichael
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for dmichael   Email dmichael         Edit/Delete Post 
Lancelot in "Camelot":

Had I been made the partner to Eve
We'd be in Eden still

Posts: 490 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
quote:
Originally posted by kacard:

No, I'm just wrong. I havne't read that one yet. I keep going to bookstores, and they don't copies of it in very good shape. It always seems like the binding is not well done whenever I look. So, I haven't read that one.
I just found a paperback in pristine condition at a used book store. Made my day.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I haven't got that lucky. I haven't checked recently either, but I seem to be unable to find a decent copy. It took me forever to find a good copy of Pastwatch. And I'm glad I did because I loved it.
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! DMichael's back. Welcome back, man.
Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.