FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC News Roundup

Author Topic: OSC News Roundup
bCurt
Member # 5476

- posted      Profile for bCurt   Email bCurt         Edit/Delete Post 
From OSC himself:

quote:
Ender's Game is in turnaround, but we're in negotiations with another studio already and things look good.

I just signed with Johnson-Roessler Company to create a tv series pilot set in a post-oil America.

I'm in development (and attached as screenwriter) on a film adaptation of William Sleator's "The Green Futures of Tycho," which is being produced by a team that includes "Doc" Wyatt (of "Napoleon Dynamite) and has Jonathan Frakes attached as director.

Orson Scott Card
For Your Amusement Only
Do Not Try This At Home

From Niad Management:

quote:
Orson Scott Card will be adapting several comics for Will Smith's company, Overbrook, and Warner Brothers based on the upcoming Will Smith movie I Am Legend.
Niad Management also mentions the pilot for the Johnson-Roessler Company (The Initiation of Sarah; Barbershop series).

"The Green Futures of Tycho" is about a boy named Tycho who finds an egg-shaped object with which he travels back and forth in time. The 11-year-old Tycho grapples with several futures he sees for himself and his family. Here is a link to a review by OSC.

Posts: 134 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember LOVING William Sleator books when I was in late elementary school. That was before I discovered Card's stuff, but wow. That'd be a great film!
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mindbowels
Member # 7407

- posted      Profile for Mindbowels           Edit/Delete Post 
While I'm sure that OSC will continue writing novels, it seems like he is working on a lot more "smaller" and "alternative" pieces (ie comics, games, screenplays etc.) I wonder if these are more enjoyable for him to write... after all, he was first and foremost (I think) a dramatist...
Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoveOfWorthing
Member # 10440

- posted      Profile for LoveOfWorthing           Edit/Delete Post 
"Worthing" would make a great series. An HBO sort of thing, maybe (hopeful look).

I really do love Worthing!!

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bCurt
Member # 5476

- posted      Profile for bCurt   Email bCurt         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like OSC is getting to do lots of things he enjoys. It is probably a good thing he enjoys them or his sanity would be fleeting being involved is so many different projects.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was at EnderCon that Card was asked how he goes about deciding what to write and when, and his reply was "When my wife tells me we're running out of money, I finish a novel." Of course, that's just how I remember it, and it may have been at some other signing or something. I don't know, I dream about celebrities a lot. Maybe that's when it happened. I've had some pretty awesome post-apocalyptic adventure dreams featuring Card.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Childs
Member # 5382

- posted      Profile for Craig Childs   Email Craig Childs         Edit/Delete Post 
Add this to the roundup:

According to Amazon.com, OSC will have five books come out this year.

1. RED PROPHET: TALES OF ALVIN MAKER (May; comic book adaptation of his novel)

2. SPACE BOY with Lance Card (August)

3. INVASIVE PROCEDURES with Aaron Johnston (September)

4. WYRMS (October; comic book adaptation of the novel)

5. A WAR OF GIFTS: AN ENDER STORY (October; this may be the "Christmas in Battle School" book)

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
i wish he was making Marco's millions. that and Beasties were my favorite Sleater books. its been a while since ive read either.
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrkr81
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for hatrkr81   Email hatrkr81         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Craig, A War of Gifts is in fact "Christmas in Battle School". They announced that on one of these threads awhile back, don't remember where though. Pretty cool that we're finally getting that!
Posts: 124 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
I think it was at EnderCon that Card was asked how he goes about deciding what to write and when, and his reply was "When my wife tells me we're running out of money, I finish a novel."

He must run out of money a lot, then. I'm surprised he can turn his novel-writing capabilities on and off like that.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Childs
Member # 5382

- posted      Profile for Craig Childs   Email Craig Childs         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm most excited about Invasive Procedures. I want to see what OSC does with the sci-fi motif of genetic engineering.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like he deals with it a lot. Do you mean as a screenplay?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Childs
Member # 5382

No, it is a novel coming out in September that OSC co-authored with Aaron Johnson

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.