FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Mirror: Unaccompanied Sonata

Author Topic: Mirror: Unaccompanied Sonata
Barely
Member # 10607

- posted      Profile for Barely   Email Barely         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished listening to this, it was a beautiful and moving story that I'll always hold as one of my favorites.

I like OSC stories in general, I loved EG, although I'm still on the fence about the rest of the series. Although I enjoy the novels, OSC short stories make my inners quiver.

So, to sum up the thread...

Unaccompanied Sonata = Beautiful
OSC = Good short stories
Inners = Quiver
Barely = Hi

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stick1988
Member # 10556

- posted      Profile for Stick1988   Email Stick1988         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree. I received "Maps in the Mirror" (the thick collection of OSC's short stories) for Christmas from my parents and just got around to reading it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am trying to read as much of OSC's works as I can and I am really glad I didn't overlook his short stories or I would've missed out. I recommend them to anyone who loves OSC as much as I do.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
To our planet, welcome.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanna see that instrument the dude was playing.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uindy
Member # 9743

- posted      Profile for Uindy           Edit/Delete Post 
I have read most of Maps in the Mirror. I still have a bit to go.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Unaccompanied Sonata is my very favorite of his short stories. [Smile] Welcome to the 'rack!
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
The one that really bugs me is the one with the guy and the coffin.... I think it was also in "Changed Man", but I can't remember what it was called.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
i have read all of the stories in Maps (multiple times) and almost every story is amazing. are there any more books that have OSC short stories? P.S. I've read the worthing books if anyone was going to suggest those. [Wall Bash] (love those gremlins)
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Flux, a small collection of OSC short stories. I think most of them are in Maps, possibly all of them.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

Thanks [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
The stories in Maps are the types of stories that I can NOT get out of my head or memory -- even if I wanted to (some of the more disturbing images, I wish I could).

Unaccompanied Sonata is probably the most ingrained in my memory of all of those.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a musician. My son's name is Christian.

I still tear up everytime I read it.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

I'm listening to another collection of short stories right now (can't remember the title), and one of the stories called "St. Amy" really brought me to tears.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timoty
Member # 10389

- posted      Profile for Timoty   Email Timoty         Edit/Delete Post 
Unaccompanied Sonata was incredible, like many of the stories in Maps in a Mirror.

Now I'm concerned... I can't remember if I actually still have my copy. I know I've got Flux and Monkey Sonatas kicking around, but I can't remember where my Maps in a Mirror is.

*runs off to find it*

Posts: 39 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
The coffin story is called "Quietus", if I remember correctly.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I too love 'Unaccompanied Sonata', and just reread it because of this thread. Excellent. I also read the one about the guy who comes home and finds they are storing a coffin in his house. I think that is the other one people are referring to.

One thing I notice about all of Card's works I have read so far, is that they all have this dark element to them. Poor Ender went through hell. The characters in 'Maps in the Mirror', each, all, go through their own personal hell. Dark, dark stuff.

Still, overall, I think the stories are uplifting. Unaccompanied Sonata is a dark tragedy, yet at the end, there is hope and light; and life and music live on. There is an element of satisfaction in having lived (as a character or as a reader) through the darkness, and moved out into the light.

For what it's worth.

Steve/bboyminn

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

WOW im rereading mirror (again) and this story reminds me why i love to read. I instantly thought of this thread and brought it back. YAY! This collection of stories is amazing! anyone who doesnt have it needs to!
-Dude [Cool] LT

kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it was a year ago -- but LargeTuna asked if there were any other books of OSC short stories. If you haven't noticed the new collection "Keeper of Dreams" -- it just came out. All new stories since Maps in a Mirror.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

Thanks [Smile] i just finished it and it was so good
I am gonna re-read it as soon as im done mirror! LOL
thanks again -LT

CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I actually don't have Maps in a Mirror yet. But I do have four smaller anthologies, like "The Changed Man", that have quite a lot of his earlier short stories in them. I just bought Keeper of Dreams and am looking forward to reading it!
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
The one story that I heard about here in this group, that was left out of the large volume 'Maps in a Mirror' was the story about Elephants roaming the streets of Poland. Can't remember the name, but it sounded like a good story.
Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
The Elephants of Poznan? I believe you can read that in the new volume.

Wasn't it originally a free story? I remember reading it on this site, I think.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

Elephants of Poznan was in the Keeper of Dreams
i liked it, i think its one of the first stories in the book [Big Grin]

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

"The Elephants of Poznan" was in my copy of Mirror... but I got it in audio, I think he said that was the first US publication of it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.