FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Is 'Empire' part of the Ender-verse?

Author Topic: Is 'Empire' part of the Ender-verse?
franjime
Member # 10727

- posted      Profile for franjime           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all - long time listener, first time caller.

I just finished reading 'Empire' (yes, I'm behind) and I am wondering if this could conceivably be tied into the Ender-verse. By the time of the Ender novels the USA is shown to be much less a player on the world stage; was wondering if the events in 'Empire' could lead to that decline. Are we reading about Ender's great-great-great (great, etc) grandparents?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I see no reason for that to be true, and several for it not to be.

Welcome to Hatrack! [Smile] (To posting, anyway.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Empire a video game tie-in or something?
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not? Isaac Asimov tied together his Robots, Galactic, and Foundation series together. Why can’t OSC tie together Enderverse, Empire, and Alvin series all together?

He’s the author! He can do what he wants!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay:
Why can’t OSC tie together Enderverse, Empire, and Alvin series all together?

Because every author that has pulled the "all my universes are One!!!111" shtick has, IMO, diminished their world, not improved them. And IIRC, OSC himself has said as much about the practice.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyronist
Member # 9691

- posted      Profile for Cyronist           Edit/Delete Post 
Though the idea is tantalizing, it couldn't work. The events in the shadow series are too close to the events in Empire for there to be no mention whatsoever about the events of Empire in the Shadow series.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I know OSC denies it, but I'm convinced the Worthing-verse is the future of the Ender-verse.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I see (and like) the Worthing connection, but combining anything else with Ender is just greedy and i am under the impression it wouldn't work. [Hat] the tip of the hat to you [Hat] clever ideas.
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I don't take credit for it. I believe it was talked about somewhere on the forum and it makes a fun kind of sense.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
a good reason for keeping the Enderverse out there a ways is it never gets too outdated. Look at Tom Clancy's Jack ryan novels. they were popular precisely because they were contemporary, but as tim e surpassed them, clancy had to keep trying to shoehorn President Durland in there somewhere with President Reagan and President H.W. Bush and still managed to find a few ways of obliquely referring to Clinton. It got kind of comical trying to figure out how many Presidents Clancy could shoe into a decade. And then for his final trick he crammed Jack Ryan in there as well. [Smile]

Don't get me wrong I liked them (Jack Ryan stories) all, but there is an advantage to keeping a story nebulously in the future.

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.