FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Premonition with Sandra Bullock

Author Topic: Premonition with Sandra Bullock
mikegs
Member # 10758

- posted      Profile for mikegs           Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the Sandra Bullock movie "Premontion", and immediately noticed it was very similar to an OSC story I read years ago. (The story was, I believe, "Queitus", but correct me if I am wrong. It is the story where a dead man wills himself back through his life to father children, so that his grieving wife is not left alone. It was macabre, and yet touching as well.)

Besides the main plot twist of insemination after death, the movie also shared the same non-linear timeline, things happening out of order.

Anyone else notice this, or am I just putting 2 and 2 together and getting 22?

mike

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Might want to edit your post to indicate spoiler warnings. And yes, it was Quietus. Aside from that, welcome to Hatrack.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah. Somehow I didn't get that from the previews. Maybe I'll have to watch it.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I listened to Quietus as a book on tape a couple of years ago (like, literally 2) and they didn't seem that similar to me, probably because for me the conflict had more to do with the wife's attitude towards the husband's death and both of their spiritual lives. Another thing, they weren't childless so that wasn't the big issue like it was in Quietus.

But the one thing I don't understand is that a certain thing happened on Tuesday which there was no sign of on Thursday (The "first" day of the week).

The ending worked for me, but my husband thought it was horrid.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KaliAngelKat
Member # 10765

- posted      Profile for KaliAngelKat   Email KaliAngelKat         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to watch the movie four times to get it, but once I was able to focus on it, I got it. Sandra is not really my favorite actress so....

It was a pretty good flick.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Quietus is probably my least favorite OSC short story... does that mean I'll not like premonition?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
IMO premonition was garbage. In the end, my thoughts were "So what?" It was just a week in that woman's life, just skipped around to make things confusing. Put it together linearly and it still sucks.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

You just didn't get it, is all. It didn't spoon feed you the mystery like an M. Night Shymalan film.
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it sucked.
Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, that's pretty strong language...
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.