FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Alvin Maker Audio Books.

Author Topic: Alvin Maker Audio Books.
Mott
Member # 9574

- posted      Profile for Mott           Edit/Delete Post 
Been a lurker to the boards for quite some time. Thought I'd introduce myself, and ask for some opinions from the community. [Smile]

I've recently gotten hooked on Audible.com, and have purchased a bunch of audio books that I can listen to at work/on the road etc.

some of the books I've purchased may have a great story, but the reader bores me silly. Being a big OSC fan I purchased the Alvin Maker books. I feel the readers do such a good job at putting me "in to" the story, that I'd rather listen to those books than read em. hehe

So, when I get through the Alvin Maker books, what do you folks that like audio books suggest I pick up in the future? Maybe could save a few bucks, and not buy any lemons. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
absolutely stay away from Enchantment. They abridged that audio book with a chainsaw. The voiceacting is great, but unless you read the book recently you will be terribly confused and if you read it recently you will be pissed at what they chopped out. I wrote a review of that particular audio book on this site sometime ago.

I suspect OSC was referring to this particular nugget a couple of weeks ago when he complained about what the abridgers did to some of his books when they were made into audiobooks.

All of the other audio books of OSC's work I have read are wonderful. I especially like the way the different voice actors interact with their parts. the Enders series teasers at the start of each chapter where you aren't told who is speaking are entirely voice acted with multiple voice actors. those are my favorite parts.

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Sarah was really good. All of the Ender Series is also good. I like the Lusitania trilogy much better in audio. He also has a couple of short story compilations on audible that I liked. I think you can even buy "Pretty Boy" for only a few dollars.

Also, have you read "A Game of Thrones" by George RR Martin? If not, that too is a very good audio book.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warlock2010
Member # 10938

- posted      Profile for Warlock2010           Edit/Delete Post 
When you finish with OSC's selection All Good
Robert jorden's Wheel of time (11 books)
kevin J Anderson's Saga of seven suns(5 Books)
larry niven's ring world (4 books)
David Weber march upcountry (reading March to the sea at the moment)
I spend 3hour a day in my car Id go nuts without
a good book

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Nana Visitor did a great job on the first two Alvin books I heard. It was a real treat to, being a DS9 fan.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also a big fan of the Alvin Maker series on audio. Make sure you're getting the unabridged versions.

Hart's Hope is also very well produced and Stephan Rudnicki is the main reader once more.

Same with the Ender series - with the welcome addition of Gabrielle deCuir, who does all the Little Peggy scenes in Alvin. I have to say I am not a big Scott Brick fan so his somewhat smarmy tone throughout Ender's Shadow is a little annoying to me, but it's still a good book. I must admit I haven't read/listened to any of the "Shadow" books in the Ender series beyond Ender's Shadow - military novels don't interest me if they're not set in space, and I prefer to keep all the Ender characters as young as possible in my head. Especially Peter. So I can't speak to anything other than the original "classic" Ender novels and ES.

I just got Songmaster - another one read by Stephan Rudnicki - and so far I am enjoying it immensely.

I've also listened to Lost Boys but that's a pretty draining story. You might not like it; proceed with caution.

If you like historical fiction, you will love Sarah from the Women of Genesis series. Read by Ms. deCuir again, one of the finest readers out there. I am eagerly awaiting the rest of the Women of Genesis books so I can satisfy my Card and Gabrielle deCuir fixes with more double-whammies.

Other audio books you will probably like:

-A Song of Ice and Fire (if you like swearing and crazy medieval dudes stabbing each other with swords. Also some of the best storytelling and character development in all of writing, let alone in fantasy, IMO)
-Lolita. Jeremy Irons reads it and it is magnificent. Really does Nabokov's amazing prose a world of honor.
-Anansi Boys has a pretty silly story but it's produced and read well.
-Dune was just released. Extremely well performed. Sort of a half-dramatization - very interesting. It even has Scott Brick in it and I liked him for once!

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.