FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What gender did you think the Oversoul was? (Homecoming)

Author Topic: What gender did you think the Oversoul was? (Homecoming)
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering... I always read the voice as a man's voice (I think it's because the oversoul just injected its thought's into Nafai, who was male)

But, in another thread, somebody referred to the Oversoul as 'she'.

It's a machine, so it technically doesn't have a gender, I know. But, for some reason I always heard his voice as a man's.

I know that the woman referred to the oversoul as she...

So, even though it doesn't matter, I'll ask anyway: Out of curiosity, how did you 'hear' the oversoul's voice? Man, or woman's?

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KaliAngelKat
Member # 10765

- posted      Profile for KaliAngelKat   Email KaliAngelKat         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the Oversoul has a gender. Each person that hears it will hear it with a voice familliar to themselves.

I'd hear it as a female cause it would just be easier to associate it that way. [Smile]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear it as a male that's about halfway through hormone therapy to become a female. Best of both worlds!

Or maybe the voice of Satan in Passion of the Christ, an overlay of a male and female voice.

Although the Oversoul is obviously female, because the vast amount of space it occupies is empty, therefor very yonic. Ergo, female. Hmm, or the ships coming out of the ground could be metephoric. You know, pushing up out of the ground, thrusting through the seal in the atmospher, spreading the Oversoul's seed across the galaxy. I dunno. Now I'm torn. I'll have to think on it.

[ September 19, 2007, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest I did not hear it as a man or a women's voice. It was just a voice without any gender assignment.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I tended to go with the female interpretation. I don't know if that was based on how it "acted" (in distress, meddling with people) or because I'm female.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grammargoddess
Member # 10828

- posted      Profile for grammargoddess   Email grammargoddess         Edit/Delete Post 
male for me. But I do also consider God to be male; not everyone else does.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard female, I think because of the prompt from the woman in the story.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
James Earl Jones
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KaliAngelKat
Member # 10765

- posted      Profile for KaliAngelKat   Email KaliAngelKat         Edit/Delete Post 
lol. Steve I could so see him playing that role if Homecomming went movie!
Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard it as female.
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
In the book, all the men referred to the Oversoul as "he," and all the women referred to it as "she." I refer to it as "it" because as a reader I knew it was just an machine.
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magus04
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for Magus04   Email Magus04         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew it was an 'it', obviously, but I kept thinking of it as more of a female, mostly because the image during Rasa's dream stuck with me, where the Oversoul was an old woman in the boat.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happysmiley
Member # 9703

- posted      Profile for happysmiley           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard it as she, mainly because when the women called it a her it stuck in my head more then the men's calling it a he. Even though later on it talked to Nafai most, which meant it was mainly reffered to as him. I guess it's kinda like if you had been reading someone's name incorrectly for a year and then you go back and see the correct pronunciation. It's really hard to change your way of thinking about it. I agree with pooka; the oversoul seemed to have a female personality.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The G-Bus Man
Member # 10911

- posted      Profile for The G-Bus Man   Email The G-Bus Man         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I'll say is keep in mind this is the exact conversation the characters themselves have had throughout the series.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sibyl
Member # 10079

- posted      Profile for Sibyl   Email Sibyl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the thing about "voice" is a sidetrack. Not only do I have a low-pitched voice for a woman, apparently I don't have many "feminine" mannerisms in my speech, either. People talking to me on the phone frequently think I'm a man. (I'm quite straight, btw).

But I didn't think of the Oversoul as having a gender.

Posts: 69 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought of it as having a gender.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought of it as anything but a machine either... But, whenever I read, I hear what the characters say and think in a voice, and the Oversoul was male for me. For whatever reason. I know it's totally irrelevent.

But it's interesting. For me, anyway. I often find things of little importance to other people quite interesting.

Do you think it's maybe because I associate machines and 'robots' with men? Hmmm. I mean, almost every robot I've read about in fiction has had a male's voice in my head(Jane being an exception, of course).

<sigh> I'm rambling again.

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear it as a "she" because she seemed to use women as mediaries more often..... or maybe just because I'm female, who knows. I think she seems distinctly female in Earthborn however. Her conversations with Shedemei just do not strike me as having a male persona in any way.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.