FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Has this section of Hatrack died?

Author Topic: Has this section of Hatrack died?
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
People, we need to post on the OSC discussion section. If people stop posting it might actuall go away, (or the equivilant if nobody uses it.) Help, post!
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

Help the cause, post on this thread [Smile]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's often pretty quiet over here.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Pshaw. What makes you think it might go away??? It's just a quiet period. No biggee.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustAskIndiana
Member # 9268

- posted      Profile for JustAskIndiana           Edit/Delete Post 
We need to get OSC to post here again...whenever he posted it supercharged this place.
Posts: 56 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
He used to, but there were some posters who were very rude to him. So he stays away now. Go figure. Thanks _ _ _ !
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
This side has always been quiet compared to the other. Just because it's more leisurely doesn't mean it will die.

It really would be nice if OSC posted again, though I don't think he will.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

I dont mean realy go away, just nobody talking so its not used. I hope you fellers are right [Smile]
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
I think maybe we need to have new things to talk about. The most recent stuff from Card has been War of Gifts and Invasive Procedures, and I haven't been able to find my hands on either yet. That leaves his "weekly" essays, maybe Empire, and far-fetched speculation about the Ender movie coupled with rants about how any attempt to turn Ender's Game into a motion picture would ruin the book (just like Eragon!).

This thread is inactive because we're currently witnessing a period that holds few new publications to discuss. Not to mention we've heard nothing about Shadows in Flight, Ender in Exile, and the Ender's Game movie in such a long time that speculation is getting boring.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

lets just name books by OSC, but change one word [Wink]
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

Cows in Flight
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Wedding (big fat Greek)
Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LargeTuna:
lets just name books by OSC, but change one word [Wink]

What about the single word titles? O.o

We just need some new people is all. Most of the people here now have been here for a long while and have discussed everything to death. We need newbies to pop up and start asking the same questions that WE all asked forever ago.

However, the more sequels we have to Ender's Game, the harder it becomes to introduce someone to the community that grew around it (I'm assuming that 95% of the people here were introduced to Card through Ender's Game). I hate to be pessimistic, but I'm not sure it'll be possible to restore this section to it's former glory without a huge new standalone novel by Mr. Card. Recruiting to the "Ender's Game Generation" is slowly, but surely trickling to a halt. Real world Civilizations and Religions seem to work the same way. People are attracted to new and brilliant ideas, but as they grow older and start to evolve (the ideas), people grow away from the fundamentals of said ideas, and then something new comes along to sweep up the next "generation".

It used to be, you hand Ender's Game to someone, and days/weeks/months later, they come back to and say "Oh my god, that was AMAZING, are their any more?", and you would direct them to this site, and the community would grow. Now you hand it to someone and say "Let me know when you're done and I'll give you one of the branches of sequels!", which automatically makes reading it seem more like a chore.

That being said, I can only hope that at the end of this era of good television, the masses will someday turn back to books for their entertainment, and Card, being Card, will take his rightful place in the spotlight and people will once again flood to this site to learn/comment about his works.

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Card is ambivalent about interactions with fans. I don't see him ever really basking in the spotlight.

You know what was fun, though? That Online class he did for Shadow of the Giant. Also, as the weather is changing I'm fondly remembering Magic Street.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

magic Street was sweet [Smile] i read it in like a day
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

Magic Lampshade XD
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Did someone say "Cows in Flight"?

It's been kind of dead on the other side, too.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Children of the Cows
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

Cow-ocide
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
The Cow of Earth
The Crystal Cow
Cows In A Mirror

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

cows shadow
enders cow
Cow-chantment

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay:
He used to, but there were some posters who were very rude to him. So he stays away now. Go figure. Thanks _ _ _ !

Well, that's one interpretation.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

Is there another interpretation that nobody told me about? [Frown]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rockymtnhigh
Member # 11147

- posted      Profile for rockymtnhigh   Email rockymtnhigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see Uncle Orson allow blog comments on his weekly essays.

I was thinking about the current one about bad audio narrators. There is an easy solution -- always pick books with narrrators like the one's OSC uses for his own books. Rudnicki, de cuir, and Brick. They are among the best.

I think Uncle Orson's essays are fun. Let us interact with them.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
You can leave comments if you read the essays on the newspaper site that publishes them Rhinotimes.com

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
You can always start a thread here on any column you want to comment on.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Children of the Cows

What about Cows with Guns?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
talsmitde
Member # 9780

- posted      Profile for talsmitde   Email talsmitde         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not forget Cow Boys (and its parallel novel, Lost Cows).

Course, I'm still eagerly anticipating the thrilling conclusion of the Cow Maker series.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Cowacide

Cow Master.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

cow puppets
miamiandy
Member # 8906

- posted      Profile for miamiandy   Email miamiandy         Edit/Delete Post 
Treasure Cow
Cow Box
Red Cow
Pastwatch:the redemtion of Christopher Cow
The Cow Chronicle
Magic Cow
Cow Street

Also, I'm relatively new to hatrack forums. I've browsed the forum for some time though and have been an OSC fan and reader for the past while.

[ November 02, 2007, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: miamiandy ]

Posts: 35 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

cowyrms
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hart's Cow.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Cowwatch.

Sounds exciting.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'll bite. Change Heartfire to Heifer.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

cowfire
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Would that be like a cow running around with it's rear on fire, or a pile of cows on fire, or what? Asnwer us, OSC. You are responsible for answering this. This is a very serious research question. [ROFL]
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

I am under the opinion its a prequal Speaker for the Dead, where the piggies extinktify the Cows, but only OSC knows [Razz] LOL JK

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.