FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender in Exile - Shadows in Flight

Author Topic: Ender in Exile - Shadows in Flight
icurnvs
Member # 11444

- posted      Profile for icurnvs   Email icurnvs         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone heard the status of either Ender in Exile or Shadows in Flight? The Ender series is by far the best book series I've ever read and am dying to know how everything continues(mostly about the communication w/ the descolada).
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Check some of the other threads about it.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago OSC said there WOULD be one more book, but so far there is no news on where/when. It's going to be a "joiner" book, so it won't really be part of either series, or it will be part of both, depending on how you look at it. You'll have to be patient though, I haven't even heard of him starting on it yet.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Correction: Card last said that there would be TWO more books, hence the title of this thread which consists of the tentative titles of both. But that was indeed nearly 3 years ago, so there's no telling what the plan is now.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killer201002
Member # 10205

- posted      Profile for killer201002   Email killer201002         Edit/Delete Post 
i wish he would tell us something new more then once ever few years
Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark
Member # 6393

- posted      Profile for Mark   Email Mark         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I suppose there's nothing new to report.
Posts: 94 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scorpio
Member # 9502

- posted      Profile for Scorpio   Email Scorpio         Edit/Delete Post 
With regards to the descolada, OSC has stated that one of the mistakes he made was with making people care too much about them, since he never intended to write anything more about them. It's in his writing lessons under "Maguffins".
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame he thinks of it as a mistake, since I think a race of creatures who communicate using viral templates is a fascinating concept.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Maybe he'll let someone else have the concept to run with. I was never actually too interested in them.

I was actually fairly happy with the way things ran down in both serieses. Of course, you always want "more", but that doesn't always mean there is more to write about. As fun as we think it may be to just hear about the daily life of all our favorite characters, it probably would get boring fast. I thought both series's had actually run down to a rather acceptable close. Bean and his kids, of course, would be interesting to know about... but even that sort "ran down" when Bean admitted he never actually planned on returning to Earth. The only story line I can really wish had a more definite close was with baby Achilles. However, since he likely was already long dead (unless he planet hopped) by Speaker, I can't imagine that the story will be "earth shattering".

Still... if there is more, I'll dutifully by it, read it, and probably be amazed. I really hope for a conclusion to Wives of Israel first though.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
In response the "Baby Achilles" line of thought: It's not really about whether it ties in with the original story line or not. It's very much possible that these events are stories worth telling IN THEMSELVES. It just happens to be in the same world.

That's the main reason I'm not so big on reusing the same character over and over and over again. Take Die Hard for example. What are the chances that one single detective is going to just happen to be in the right place at the right time to end all of those attacks? Pretty slim.

Using the Ender character for Speaker was already a fairly risky venture. What are the chances that the same guy is going to be in place to change the world twice in his lifetime? The only reason it worked was because Ender actively TRIED to get involved the second time, and he just so happened to be skipping through time enough to put him in the right place at the right time.

Logically, it would be more believable that Achilles Jr., the remaining Jeesh memebers, Graff, Mazer and all of the other previous characters led a rather normal life after the conclusion of the Shadow series. How much is likely to happen that's worth telling when you move to a colony?

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Conrad Coreander
Member # 7851

- posted      Profile for Carl Conrad Coreander   Email Carl Conrad Coreander         Edit/Delete Post 
Orson Scott Card once said he was going to write a third Alvin Maker short story called White Prophet. A while later I posted about it and OSC said he'd totally forgotten about it. I thought it was kind of funny. But kind of sad, since I'd been looking forward to it.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
Originally posted by sylvrdragon:

Logically, it would be more believable that Achilles Jr., the remaining Jeesh memebers, Graff, Mazer and all of the other previous characters led a rather normal life after the conclusion of the Shadow series. How much is likely to happen that's worth telling when you move to a colony?

I don't know... it seems to me that a child with Anton's key who's been raised by a crazy mother to believe that he's the son of Achilles, the rightful ruler of the world, would be pretty likely not to lead a normal life.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

I guess that would depend on how big the colony was.... and how much contact it had with the outside world.
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Divine Wind [Razz]
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insomniakk
Member # 11750

- posted      Profile for insomniakk           Edit/Delete Post 
Lets get some talk going about the first of the new books Ender in Exile... All I really want out of this book is to find out how the human race turned on him so quickly, When I was reading Speaker for the Dead that was my biggest question. I hope it will be answered.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I think they mainly turned on him because of "The Hive Queen".
insomniakk
Member # 11750

Well ya but 1 book made everyone forget about the Buggers attempting to destroy the human race twice? there has to be some false information or something.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's not quite so simple. The Buggers didn't understand that they were killing intelligent beings. They were shocked that we "killed a queen ship". I don't know if it was ever written in any of the books that the Buggers were attempting xenocide.

neo-dragon hit it on the head. Ender wrote a book that changed all of galactic society's view on the final battle. At first humanity saw it as their greatest moment, but then somebody told them how awful that victory was. The book greatly vilified Ender Wiggin as the destroyer of a great race. That's what made humanity turn on him. [Smile]

[ September 23, 2008, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was in "Investment Counciler" (maybe it was "Speaker for the Dead") that mentioned the change came over time. First they changed their minds about the Buggers, then they saw Ender as a tragic figure who unknowingly did something bad and that moved to just hateing him.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insomniakk
Member # 11750

I guess thats understandable 1 book changing everyones opinion of something. But I would still like to read about the progression of the hate towards Ender.

Cause cmon It would be ok if the buggers didn't realize that they were attempting to kill us but if your the offender twice in a row (attacking humans) then you've had your chance and its time to pay the consequences.

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Well it's not quite so simple. The Buggers didn't understand that they were killing intelligent beings. They were shocked that we "killed a queen ship". I don't know if it was ever written in any of the books that the Buggers were attempting xenocide.

neo-dragon hit it on the head. Ender wrote a book that changed all of galactic society's view on the final battle. At first humanity saw it as they're greatest moment, but then somebody told them how awful that victory was. The book greatly vilified Ender Wiggin as the destroyer of a great race. That's what made humanity turn on him. [Smile]

The "Hive Queen" did to human society what Graff's revelation that the games were real life did to Ender. It changed the paradigm from one of "Hooray! We won!" to "What have we done? We have committed an irrevocable, terrible crime!"

However, I doubt that the book vilified Ender personally. Rather, it vilified that act of Xenocide.

The vilification of Ender Wiggin "The Xenocide" came about later. Imagine: the war is won. Mankind is jubilant in their victory and lays all of the credit on the shoulders of Ender Wiggin. The world then equates Ender with victory. When that victory is made to be seen as a crime, the vilification of the crime is easily passed on to the perceived perpetrator. If A = B and B = C, then A = C.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by insomniakk:
Lets get some talk going about the first of the new books Ender in Exile... All I really want out of this book is to find out how the human race turned on him so quickly, When I was reading Speaker for the Dead that was my biggest question. I hope it will be answered.

What was quick about it? Speaker is 3,000 years on, and Investment counselor is 400. Seems like plenty of time.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insomniakk
Member # 11750

Some lies had to be told or things exaggerated... possibly the government never told the people that they never told Ender it was real. And when the public turned on Ender the government didn't step in because why take the blame for something that they could easily avoid it by just continuing to stay quiet and say that it was all Enders doing.

Everyone that was part of the battle or remembered it is dead (apart from Ender, and maby Bean), How would the dead defend themselves, or tell what really happend?

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Novinha and Pipo discuss how Ender didn't know he was murdering any one in Speaker.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Also, in "Children of the Mind", the Japanese guy who Peter and Wang-mu influenced to condemn the fleet mentions that Ender Wiggin was a child who thought he was playing a game. People know that much even 3000 years later. They just don't care. Ender's a convenient scapegoat because it's his name that everyone remembers and it's easy to pin everything on someone who as far as anyone knows has been dead for thousands of years.

Anyway, EiE is just weeks away. I can't wait to get my copy!

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
There's another scene late in Speaker that concerns that, but that would recquire a big spoiler and I'm too lazy to post it right now.

I suppose it might not have been common knowledge right away, making the initial knowledge too powerful to ware away once people find out for whatever reason. Or ... some figure he'd of done it anyway since, assuming the public knows, he was (knowing and voluntarily) training to do it.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insomniakk
Member # 11750

I agree with neo-dragon. In regard to the whole, Ender as a scapegoat theory. But it will be hard to make a whole novel about that(Ender in Exile) I bet theres gonna be something big...
CG-LJ
Member # 11793

- posted      Profile for CG-LJ   Email CG-LJ         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the close of both series. I am excited about the prospect of reading more about bean and his children.

Also I can not wait to get my copy of Ender in Exile.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

- posted      Profile for All4Nothing   Email All4Nothing         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes insomniakk, that's exactly what I've been thinking about lately. There has to be some sort of struggle Ender/Valentine/The colony must face to draw readers into the story. I mean, Ender just facing adults who see him as a tragic hero and yet still treat him like a child wouldn't be very engaging (especially to new readers). So some sort of dilemma must come about. Speculations anyone???
Posts: 115 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.