FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » *sigh* Chair games.

Author Topic: *sigh* Chair games.
Cyronist
Member # 9691

- posted      Profile for Cyronist           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm a gamer and a fan of OSC, and I thought my two passions would unite in a truly spectacular Ender's Game Game, but alas, it is not so.

You can tell right away its going to be a second rate game due to the fact that the same title is for DS, PC, 360 and the works. That spawns watered down ports and sub par quality.

I was even more disappointed when I read it would be download first.

Or I could be wrong. But I have enough experience with what games look like before release compared with their results afterwards that I know bad signs when I see them. Lets hope I'm wrong this time.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, downloadable, multi-platform games don't universally suck. In fact, most of the games I can think of that meet that criteria are actually pretty good.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
To put it into perspective, I've downloaded BioShock, Halflife 2, and Portal, all of which have won numerous awards. If I remember correctly, BioShock won Game of the Year for 2007, and I think Halflife 2 won it the year before. Portal won awards for several other aspects that I don't recall off the top of my head.

Downloadable doesn't mean the same thing now that it used to. I think game developers are starting to realize that it's actually BETTER to have their games available via download as it should save a ton in production and shipping costs.

[ February 01, 2008, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: sylvrdragon ]

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Portal's also won Game of the Year awards from several groups.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Portal's also won Game of the Year awards from several groups.

and rightly so.
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cyronist
Member # 9691

- posted      Profile for Cyronist           Edit/Delete Post 
Portal was awesome. So was Bioshock and HL2. None of those games came out for DS and recieved very good treatment in their ports because of who made them, Valve and 2K games, big companies. Chair is not.

Also I don't think its going to be released using Steam or Direct2Drive, which are yes, good things but doubtful.

And lets face it, its a game made from a movie (well a book, but you know what I mean) and movie games 95% of the time are sub par.

"expected for release via downloadable platforms."
^ 360 download of full game sounds like to me.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I would be very surprised if the game came to the DS in the same form. I'm pretty sure that any supported platforms are at this point mere speculation, since Chair hasn't written any code yet.
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Force Unleashed (Star Wars) is coming for the DS and it looks like they put a heck of a lot of effort into it from the trailers. Cross-platform isn't bad. It means I might be able to play. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And lets face it, its a game made from a movie (well a book, but you know what I mean) and movie games 95% of the time are sub par.
That might be true if it involves an author that doesn't care about video games. I have to give OSC a little more credit than that. [Smile]

quote:
"expected for release via downloadable platforms."
^ 360 download of full game sounds like to me.

...or PC ...or Playstation (PSP I know of specifically; don't know about PS2/PS3) ...or any number of other platforms and environments.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

WiiWare... WiiWare... C'mon, WiiWare!
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
The wii would be the best platform for a game like this. Imagine it like a 1st person shooter, you are holding a handle on the battleroom wall, look around the battleroom using the nunchuck's controller. At the same time you target the direction you want to kick with the IR camera on the wiimote and kick off using the A button. While in flight you can look around and shoot (using the controller like a gun and the nunchuck as head control until you hit the other wall, or until you collide with another player in flight which changes both of your directions.

As for strategy, you should have the ability to come up with a strategy for your toons before the gate drops open, and set up some contingency plans in case its not working. You should be able to switch into the bodies of any nonfrozen toonleader. (I'd limit it to toonleaders and special players only) Getting frozen yourself would result in changing to the highest ranked leader on the map automatically after a slight delay to simulate the new toon leader's reaction time to the change. The delay can be shortened as the toon leader gains experience.

barf bags or motion sickness pills might need to be on hand for such a game, but I would definitely buy it.

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I would want to play Ender's Game because I don't want the guilt!
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

Why on Earth would you feel guilty for playing the ultimate fanboy experience?
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
Whats great about video games is you get the experience minus the guilt.

Man I'd be in pretty bad shape if I felt guilty for every act I committed in a video game.

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

Come on, this is freeze tag!
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm good friends with one of the guys who made Portal and he seems pretty enthusiastic about the Battle Room news so far. He doesn't think the multi-platform format or the downloadableness will cause any major problems with the quality. I trust The Portal Dude to steer me right in being excited about games. [Wink]
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
I told my husband about the Battle Room game last night. He pointed out that we don't have an Xbox. I told him I'd buy one just so I could play this with my friends on Xbox Live. This is the one game for which I'd want to actually drop the money on an Xbox! Ha ha.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

quote:
Originally posted by C3PO the Dragon Slayer:
Why on Earth would you feel guilty for playing the ultimate fanboy experience?

I can't answer that question without giving away the ending.
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

Thank you. I needed a laugh.
Qaz
Member # 10298

[Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.