FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Bean - Wikipedia?

Author Topic: Bean - Wikipedia?
promiseadance
Member # 11483

- posted      Profile for promiseadance           Edit/Delete Post 
On a whim, I decided to look up dear Julian Delphiki on Wikipedia, and there was an uncited remark that confused me:

quote:
Bean was born in Rotterdam as the result of an illegal experiment in genetic engineering conducted by a scientist named Volescu. Along with Bean the scientist made another child named Fitzhugh.
I know, I know, it's Wikipedia, so consider the source. But have I been sleeping under a rock? I'm assuming this is probably just a fan indulging his own self-insertion, but perhaps there was a short story of some sort? I don't remember anything about "Fitzhugh" in any of the books.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no such reference in the books.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legatio
Member # 11485

- posted      Profile for Legatio   Email Legatio         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that sounds new to me. Maybe Card is planting in secret clues to his next great masterpiece. [Embarrassed] Anyhow, it's gone now.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I would hope that if this was some sort of secret message to plant ideas about future projects that any such character would have a different name. "Fitzhugh" doesn't seem to fit very well.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Legatio:
Yeah, that sounds new to me. Maybe Card is planting in secret clues to his next great masterpiece. [Embarrassed] Anyhow, it's gone now.

Thank goodness. Honestly, "Fitzhugh?"
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the entry was made by a non-English speaking person, and 'Fitzhugh' was the way one of the secondary character's names appeared in the foreign language books?

Still, who would that character be?

I wonder if it wasn't mistakenly assumed that Achilles was a 'test tube baby'? Or, since Wikipedia is user edited, I wonder if it wasn't some poster's idea of a joke. Just adding some nonsense to the listing.

Steve/bluewizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adfectio
Member # 11070

- posted      Profile for adfectio   Email adfectio         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Fitshugh was a Southern Lawyer/Philosopher. He wrote a couple books, at least one of which advocated slavery.

Hmm... makes me wonder if maybe somebody was trying to say something about slavery.

Posts: 349 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, they stole my idea! i wrote an english paper on bean's "brother" Fitzugh,
he escped volescu and became a hit star of the tv game show Mathlete, its like Pros vs Joes, but with math problems in between competitions
JK LOL [Big Grin]

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insanesam
Member # 11548

- posted      Profile for insanesam   Email insanesam         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LargeTuna:
Hey, they stole my idea! i wrote an english paper on bean's "brother" Fitzugh,
he escped volescu and became a hit star of the tv game show Mathlete, its like Pros vs Joes, but with math problems in between competitions
JK LOL [Big Grin]

haha, I believed you at first. I guess that doesn't say anything very good about my intellegence [Cool]
Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
Or mabe its just such a good idea anyone smart has to believe it! [Dont Know]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insanesam
Member # 11548

- posted      Profile for insanesam   Email insanesam         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...
Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whoudini
Member # 11564

- posted      Profile for Whoudini   Email Whoudini         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of bad fanfiction.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zenox
Member # 8987

- posted      Profile for Zenox   Email Zenox         Edit/Delete Post 
I once dreamed I was Bean, and that both Ender and Petra beat me in a math contest.
Heh, it doesn't get much weirder than that.

Posts: 58 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny how long that edit was in there.

On Aug 23, 2007, that person added the sentence "Along with Bean the scientist made another child named Fitzhugh."

On Aug 24, he added "Example: Fitz loves to cuddle with the most beautiful girl in the wide world, Kate Madeline Menke =]" to the article on Physical Intimacy. And "Fitz will dearly miss Miss Menke when he must go =[" to the article on Fessenden School. Then he took that last one out.

I'm guessing that Fitzhugh is the guy who did the editing, and that he was a student at Fessenden School. And that he just had too much time on his hands.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
So who's Miss Menke?
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a teacher he liked.

Some whacked out child in the throes of senioritis got on the computer during a free period. Pay it no never mind. The funniest part is just how long the line managed to stay in the article. That's odd for Wikipedia.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clandestineguitarplayer
Member # 11571

- posted      Profile for Clandestineguitarplayer   Email Clandestineguitarplayer         Edit/Delete Post 
This one time, at school we had to do a paper on Thomas Jefferson and wikipedia said he was a cannibal... We were all a little freaked and our teacher got mad at us... HA HA! Wikipedia is just not as fast as they should be on some stuff! [Wink]
Posts: 93 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.