FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » People of Path

Author Topic: People of Path
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
OK So I was reading (listening) to Xenocide and I got to the point in the book where Jane is revealed to Han Fei-Tzu and Han Qing-jao. We find out about their genetic marker to be God Spoken and intelligent. Is there any way that it could be Anton's Key turned and modified.

Did Starways Congress find Bean's cure and use Anton's Key in the ways that Volescu originally planned.

Any Comments, Misconceptions, Thoughts?

Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is there any way that it could be Anton's Key turned and modified.
Short answer: No. The thing in Anton's key that makes people supergeniuses is the same thing that makes them supergiants. You can't have one without the other.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect the people of Path gain their intelligence from some genetic modification related to Anton's key, but not literally Anton's Key in the sense you are thinking.

I suspect in 3,000 years of genetics research evolution, they may have found a way to exploit Anton's Key but to do so in a way as to minimize the nasty side effects. Likely this also moderated the level of intelligence. The people of Path seem smart, but not Bean Super-Smart.

However, just because they can apply it, doesn't mean they can undo it once it's done. In other words, that fact that they can NOW apply a variation of Anton's Key, does not mean they can undo the bad effects on a person who has Anton's Key turned without the modifications.

In other words, there is no cure for Bean and the Beanie Babies.

However, the people on Lusitania have made an astronomical leap forward in genetic modification. They were able to change the people of Path substantially. On the super smart, they eliminated the controlling defect of obsessive compulsive disorder, and they were able to make all the normal people of Path as smart as the God Spoken.

I suspect when and if they encounter the Beanie Babies, the scientists on Lusitania will be able to help them before it's too late.

I think what Starway Congress was able to do to the people of Path was an offshoot of the earlier research to cure Bean. But again, it's 3,000 years later, I doubt that anyone, if there is anyone who remembers, even considers the possibility that Bean and his kids are still alive.

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an entirely different key which increases intelligence in a different way than Anton's.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you know? Just curious.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Because Anton's key makes a person a genius by allowing their brain to keep growing and developing the way it does when we're children. If a person stops growing, so does their brain, and they don't reach super-genius levels. Since the people on Path aren't giants, we can assume that their intelligence isn't achieved in this manner...
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How do you know? Just curious.
First, it's just common sense. The only commonality between the manipulations is that they increase intelligence (as presented, to vastly different amounts - the God Spoken are not in Bean's class) while having many other things extremely different.

Second, at some point or another OSC said so here.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the second answer. [Smile] The first one might be sensible, but it's not authoritative.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
heh heh heh
antons key kills you
pathites just have ocd
but that is cured so it is not on the level of antons key
descoladores master of genetic modifications might save bean (hopefully) and the beanlings
dont foget!

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.