FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Final Book in the Alvin series?

Author Topic: Final Book in the Alvin series?
TheMaker
Member # 7957

- posted      Profile for TheMaker   Email TheMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally find the Alvin Maker series on par with the Ender series, and I'm getting really upset about the hiatus of the final book in the series. Has anybody heard ANYTHING about its progress?? I mean, The Crystal City came out in 2003, that was agesss ago, I just wish he could conclude it finally.
Posts: 9 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid that while many of us would like to have it, you'll get no information, and small comfort from most people.

To me personally, Alvin was fun, but I liked Ender more. I'm actually satisfied enough with how Shadow of the Giant left Ender, however. There will be another book though, so I'll read it of course, but I'm not ACHING for it.

What I really want is the next volume in the Wives of Jacob series... I'm a bit concerned that THAT one will fall totally off the radar and never get written.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the first three Alivn Maker books; I think they're among Card's best novel-length work, right up there with Speaker.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*high-fives Noemon*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I humbly submit that Crystal City rocked too. That whole thing where Alvin leads all those people out of New Orleans, and across the river? Oh, that was beauty.

Heartfire, OTOH, made me think, "what's so great about marriage, again?" Which I don't think was OSC's goal, you know?

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm solidly in the Noemon/TomD camp.

I also very much enjoyed the style of the first three novels, which, sadly, was abandoned in the later books.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them, though the last two less than the first four. In Heartfire, I loved the New England story, and the Calvin-Balzac interactions. But the Peggy storyline and the Gullah Joe storyline just didn't captivate me.

In Crystal City, I thought the whole thing moved at a much too rapid pace...it felt like he was just rushing to get everyone to Furrowspring.

By the way, in the fourth book, where we get the introduction by the narrator (I Thought I Was Done), are we supposed to know who this narrator is?

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the narrator Taleswapper? Or did he die or something? I can't remember.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
No, in fact, the narrator specifically says: "I ain't no Taleswapper"

Although, with the double negative...

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
If you interpret it that way (double negative), every dialog in the entire Alvin Maker series is altered.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeorge:
By the way, in the fourth book, where we get the introduction by the narrator (I Thought I Was Done), are we supposed to know who this narrator is?

Yes. This thread has the spoiler: http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001872;p=0&r=nfx
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guardian_of_edges
Member # 11622

- posted      Profile for guardian_of_edges   Email guardian_of_edges         Edit/Delete Post 
Has Card said that there will be another book? I just assumed that we were supposed to infer that nothing unexpected happens between the end of Crystal City and Carthage. Stupid of me I guess.

Oh, and Hi to everyone. Don't get used to me, I don't get online often.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jarhead
Member # 11631

- posted      Profile for Jarhead           Edit/Delete Post 
Card was at the BYU bookstore to sign copies of "Empire" last year, and I heard him tell a fellow shopper that there would be one more book in the Alvin series. Unfortunately, he didn't say anything about when, and I got the feeling that it may not be anytime soon.
Posts: 15 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
*high-fives Noemon*

*does also*
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.