FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » appeasement in election years--1940 Willkie and Roosevelt (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: appeasement in election years--1940 Willkie and Roosevelt
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Threads:
Do you honestly think Al-Qaeda's ultimate goal is to kill us?

I must agree wiith sylvrdragon on this one, with a little bit of nuancing. I believe their goal is to convert the world to their brand of Islam, killing anyone who refuses to convert. I also believe that the Western world as a whole will refuse to convert at gunpoint. Therefore, yes, Al-Qaeda intends to kill us.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I might agree with that, that's not the part I have a problem with.

The part I have a problem with is when the entire Muslim world is treated like they're all card carrying members of Al-Qaeda.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sylvrdragon:
Well, not only have they SAID that it was, but I'm rather sure that so far, we've been doing a good bit of dying on their behalf (though not so much as them. They apparently aren't very good at it thus far) so... yeah. Do you have a better idea? I'd love to hear it.

I already posted my idea.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I see it now. If I thought it were that simple, then I would personally have no problem saying "Fine, you stay on your hemisphere and I'll stay on mine." The problem, however, arises when you ask what they might do if/when they managed to take over and convert the middle east to their fundamentalist ways.

Aside from the preemptive approach, one might also say that the umbrella of "us" encompasses our non-secular Muslim allies in that neighborhood, who definitely CAN'T say "Do what you want" as they might be systematically annihilated. (I think this is the spin that D.C. is using these days isn't it?)

I should also add that my comments aren't necessarily limited to Al-Qaeda. Let me know if my information is outdated- but I seem to recall some such leader of Iran stating his intentions, or at least wishes, to Nuke the U.S.?

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn The part I have a problem with is when the entire Muslim world is treated like they're all card carrying members of Al-Qaeda.
I agree with this as well. I try to specify that I'm referring to the extremists/fundamentalists whenever I discuss this topic.
Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

I see it now. If I thought it were that simple, then I would personally have no problem saying "Fine, you stay on your hemisphere and I'll stay on mine." The problem, however, arises when you ask what they might do if/when they managed to take over and convert the middle east to their fundamentalist ways.
That's a good point. However, I find it highly unlikely that Al-Qaeda, or any other fundamentalist movement, will succeed at its current goal of reforming Islam (even with an isolationist approach by us). This doesn't mean that they don't pose a threat but I think that they do not post enough of a threat to warrant preemptive wars such as the Iraq war.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's a good point. However, I find it highly unlikely that Al-Qaeda, or any other fundamentalist movement, will succeed at its current goal of reforming Islam (even with an isolationist approach by us). This doesn't mean that they don't pose a threat but I think that they do not post enough of a threat to warrant preemptive wars such as the Iraq war.
I think it's also worth pointing out that most of the U.S.' allies who are closer to the Middle East, well cognizant of the fact that they have more vulnerability to the actions of extremists in the region, have had very little kind to say with regard to the U.S.' recent actions in the Middle East.

Some of same also have significant experience with terrorism in their own lands; we might do well to be a little less headstrong and a little more willing to listen and learn.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.