FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What is your favorite OSC book?

Author Topic: What is your favorite OSC book?
volssam
Member # 11673

- posted      Profile for volssam           Edit/Delete Post 
I am of the kind that likes lists and rankings and such....and so I am interested in getting fellow OSC fans; opinions on their favorite OSC books....

For a long time, mine was Ender's Game, and it still a close second, but I would have to say now that my favorite is LOST BOYS. I just read it about a month ago, and I was just amazed. I mean, it was probably the most emotional book I have ever read, and I loved it.

OSC is so great b/c - for example, this book, his stories don't have to have a lot of flash and such...he just tells good stories that involves good characterization and he uses situations and circumstances to further the development of character and storyline....LOVE IT!!!

Posts: 56 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a hard question, it would be much easier to list my least favorite, but I won't.

Ender's Game is timeless and I've read it probably 5 times, and read the whole series once through in book form and once in audio.

I also love Enchantment, The Alvin Maker Series, and Women of Genesis.

Out of all of those I have a hard timepicking a favorite, but if pressed I'd choose Enchantment.

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I wouldn't argue with Enchantment. But, if you add Stone Tables to the Women of Genesis series, (and I do) as a group, they move to the top of the list.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
volssam
Member # 11673

I haven't read any of the Women of Genesis books yet, but I have read Enchantment...

Enchantment WAS very good.....my main complaint I think with it would be the ending....[STOP READING IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY READ ENCHANTMENT -- SPOILERS]....I guess I was expecting just a little more, like I either wanted Baba Yaga to die or I thought it would be cool if it turned out that she turned somewhat decent and ended up being the Baba "I forgot the other name" that Ivan's mother learned her magic from, and thus, was the one that ended up leaving the note in the window sill, which ultimately brought about her demise as Baba Yaga b/c it ended her power over Bear...
Anyways, I still immensely enjoyed the book, and as of now I would probably place it at # 6

Posts: 56 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
volssam
Member # 11673

And my top 5 would be:

1. LOST BOYS
2. ENDER'S GAME
3. CALL OF EARTH (2nd HC book)
4. PRENTICE ALVIN (3rd AM book)
5. SHIPS OF EARTH (3rd HC book)

6. ENCHANTMENT

As of now, I have only read 19 of OSC's books (and I actually have all 19 of these ranked in terms of my opinion of them - in a book list that my friend and I have made), so this list could change in the future....

T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
ender's shadow
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
ender's shadow

NOOO!

Stop posting stuff that i was going to post that's not cool. his is the third time, i was going to asy anything but i will not alow this anymore!

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
It's odd for me because whichever one I've read (excluding short stories) becomes one of my favorites. I read Lost Boys a few weeks ago and loved. Now I just finished Treason and that is a favorite now. I think I just have an affinty for all his novels, but Game will always be the one that started it all for me.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
volssam
Member # 11673

Yeah, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Ender's Game.....and I wonder if I had read Ender's Shadow first if I would have liked it more....I still liked Ender's Shadow fine, but just didn't have as much excitement about it as I did with Ender's Game....
Treason was strange for me....parts of it I didn't like but after I was done with it and thought back to it, the more I liked it....I guess that's the mark of a great story-teller....

Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Xenocide
2. Red Prophet
3. The Call of Earth
4. The Ships of Earth
5. Ender's Shadow

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan S
Member # 11661

- posted      Profile for Jonathan S   Email Jonathan S         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is The Worthing Saga. Of the Ender books, Xenocide is my favorite. After that, probably Enchantment.

Of course, it's hard to place the Ender books, especially Ender's Game, since it's where I started. I've always thought it was harder with a series, since there's a natural tendency to consider what happened before and after.

I realize the topic is favorite, but maybe my least favorites were somebody else's favorites? I expected more from Pastwatch and Songmaster. Maybe I just missed some things from my first readings; I'll definitely try again in the future. I still enjoyed them, but Pastwatch felt way too long for the ways things happened. I don't even remember what it was about Songmaster...it's possible that I hyped it up too much in my mind because it was about music. If somebody else thoroughly enjoyed them, I'd love to hear why.

What about Hart's Hope? I haven't read it, but I seem to remember OSC mentioning in an Uncle Orson column or an interview that he considered it some of his finest writing. It's next on my "to-read" list from the OSC library.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Hart's Hope is very different. It's not my favorite, but it was one of the most weirdly attractive books I've ever read.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DecayedCordet
Member # 11676

- posted      Profile for DecayedCordet   Email DecayedCordet         Edit/Delete Post 
Being a teen, I'm still at the point where I'm like..."Yeah, enderverse changed my life." So I've gotta say Ender's Shadow.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
talsmitde
Member # 9780

- posted      Profile for talsmitde   Email talsmitde         Edit/Delete Post 
My top five (as of right now) would be:

1. Enchantment (I'm currently re-reading it)
2. Speaker for the Dead
3. Ender's Shadow/Ender's Game
4. Earthborn
5. Stone Tables

But then again, I love them all.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
volssam
Member # 11673

Going back to least faves.....my least fave OSC book would probably be Shadow of the Hegemon....I think I was just trying to get done with it and just didn't get into the story....haven't read Shadow Puppets yet but from what I've read of others' opinions, I htink it is better than Hegemon....???? On my next to-read list from OSC is probably Treasure Box...I actually have it checked out from the library right now, along with Pastwatch but after reading the above post from Jonathan S, I'm not exactly looking forward to Pastwatch.....
volssam
Member # 11673

I am planning to start Treasure Box today....I am excited about it....anybody read it or like it? I didn't see it on any of the fave or least fave lists....I don't know if that's good or bad....
volssam
Member # 11673

I just finished Treasure Box, and it was very cool.....I wonder why I haven't heard a lot about it....same thing with Lost Boys....Both good books.....I placed Treasure Box as my #6 fave OSC book behind Ships of Earth and ahead of Enchantment....you should read it if you haven't.....
npbeers
Member # 9612

- posted      Profile for npbeers           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, this is hard.... let me try to rank my top 10...

1. Pastwatch
2. Ender's Game
3. Worthing Saga
4. Ender's Shadow
5. Seventh Son
6. Xenocide
7. Empire
8. Speaker for the Dead
9. Folk of the Fringe
10. Children of the Mind

I've read many others by him, but these are the ones that really stand out in my mind...

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
npbeers
Member # 9612

- posted      Profile for npbeers           Edit/Delete Post 
I never really cared much for the Homecoming Saga for some reason...
Posts: 19 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, can anyone choose just one?

I loved all of the Homecomming books, but probably (strangely) my favorite from them was the last "Earth Fall"

I also loved Ender's Game - and then the whole Shadow series. For some reason the Lusitania series wasn't as appealing to me. I liked them, but I am not drawn to them in the same way. Maybe I'm just not grown up enough yet!

Ah, and the Women of Genesis series.... I loved them ALL....

And Enchantment is probably one of my favorite stand alone books of all time....

Ok, maybe it would be easier to list my least favorite OSC books....

Least favorite (so far)is Song Master - and even that one wasn't bad.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LordBishop
Member # 11683

- posted      Profile for LordBishop   Email LordBishop         Edit/Delete Post 
Difficult indeed...let's see

1. Ender's Game
2. Lost Boys
3. Pastwatch
4. Treasure Box (this was almost a tie for 3)
5. Ender's Shadow
6. Maps in a Mirror
7. Homebody
8. Speaker for the Dead
9. Shadow of the Hegemon

I've read most of the rest of the enderverse but they just didn't really do anything for me. Trying now to figure out what to read next...so much to choose from!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rush211243
Member # 11682

- posted      Profile for rush211243           Edit/Delete Post 
I like a lot of his books but I will always remember totally understanding his writing style of ethics with "Speaker of the Dead" which is the 2nd book I read.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Lost Boys.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ender's Game will always be my favorite but then I love his Women of Genesis Series. They are really well done!
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Enchantment
Alvin Maker
series
Ender's Shadow followed by all the other Ender books
The Women of Genesis and Stone Tables

... This is really hard. Lost Boys was incredible, but I could only read it once. Once I had babies (boys no less) I couldn't read it again. It tore my heart out and held it hostage for at least three weeks.

It would probably be easier to list my least favorite, which was Homebody. It felt like a complete departure to me - although of course he's written in many genres, but "horror" is not one of my favorites.

Still, a least-favorite OSC book is better than most other books.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is The Worthing Saga. I won't say it's the best, but it is hands down my favorite.

From there it's pretty clumped. It'd probably go something like:

2. Enders Game
3. Speaker for the Dead
4. Enders Shadow
5. Songmaster
6. Treason
7. Enchantment
8. Pastwatch (I should really put this one higher as I once wrote a 20 page paper for class based in part off of this book, but it just takes so long to get started)
9/10. The rest of the Enderverse stuff, Alvin Maker series, and Homecoming series. I didn't really like Treasure Box at all. But that's just me.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
volssam
Member # 11673

npbeers.....
You listed Folk of the Fringe in your top ten...I had that on my list to read eventually but then I read somewhere that it's just a bunch of short stories about a group of people....do the stories fit together into a big story, or are they individualized? I am skeptical about reading short stories. I love big stories where there is a complete plot and character development and such (which is I guess why I love the Homecoming and Alvin Maker Series so much....anyways, just wanted to get some info on it and your opinion....or anyone else's.......

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaker For The Dead has its own very intruiging appeals and achievements but Ender's Game is tops.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Volssam,

Folk of the Fringe is a collection of short stories. However, they do sort of "lead into each other". They're all loosely related, but it is still definitely not a novel.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really say what my top 5 are so I'll just include an entire series as one volume.
1. Ender's Game
2. Homecoming series
3. Seventh Son
4. Red Prophet
5. And yes, because it's related to Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
volssam
Member # 11673

What exactly constitutes a short story...I mean I know I read some in high school in the Literature books, but....I don't know, I guess I just don't get it...why stop at a short story instead of going full out with a novel?
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
A short story is 7000 words or less.

A novella is between 7k and 15000 words.

A novellette is between 15k and (I think) 25k.

25k and up is a novel.

quote:
why stop at a short story instead of going full out with a novel?
Some stories aren't big enough for a novel. Sometimes, you want to test out the central idea on an audience, to see if sticks for any of them.

Sometimes, that's just where the story takes you.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
volssam
Member # 11673

LOST BOYS is awesome!!!! Heart-rending, but awesome....
volssam
Member # 11673

I am reading Pastwatch right now...have about 100 pages or so left. It's just OK for me right now, a little too slow or maybe I just wasn't ready for all of the philosophical stuff. And it also kind of irritates me to see all the "we are killing the earth" mumbo jumbo again and again and again.
But I still love Card. He is one of my favorite authors

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
why stop at a short story instead of going full out with a novel?
A tight short story is far preferable to a padded novel.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unnameworthy
Member # 11708

- posted      Profile for Unnameworthy   Email Unnameworthy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hart's Hope, hands down.

It's flawed and heavy-handed at points, but it stands as the most beautiful, vivid work of fantasy I think I've ever encountered. Its last few pages are heart-crushing no matter how many times I read them.

Ender's Game is a close second, and though I'm totally in love with Hart's Hope, I admit Ender's Game is a more complete novel. I also love the first three books in the Alvin Maker series.

It's been a while since I've read the Ender sequels or Homecoming. I still haven't gotten to Magic Street or Lost Boys or Pastwatch yet. I read Treason a couple months ago, which was pretty fantastic, and Enchantment was very good as well.

Hello, everyone.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.