FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » IGMS and Enderverse stories

Author Topic: IGMS and Enderverse stories
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if there are any plans to print a compilation of JUST the Enderverse stories from the IGMS in one book?

That would be cool.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it would defeat my purpose in writing Ender stories for IGMS. My goal is to try to get people to buy the magazine and/or anthology and read ALL the stories by other writers, and the columns, and everything else. The Ender stories are an enticement to Ender fans, or so I hoped. But if I made the stories available elsewhere, then the fans would not need to buy IGMS to get them, and the magazine would have even less chance of becoming a self-sustaining enterprise.

In short, tell your friends to buy IGMS! <grin>

Of course, there's always the chance that the short story form is simply not commercially viable. I hope, though, that it's just a matter of finding the right way to present short stories....

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish Sara Ellis was still writing her column...
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha. Brother Card beat me to it.

It's the incentive to buy the magazine.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
I wish Sara Ellis was still writing her column...

Ditto!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
woah, I completely missed this the other year. I have to remember to check this side every once in a while. Thanks for the response Mr. Card. As someone with not a lot of time to read short stories, but with a love of the enderverse I thought it'd be nice to have them all together, but your reasoning makes sense.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
In a lot of ways, "Ender in Exile" is a compilation of IGMS Ender stories.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was a bit confused since I think all those stories end up in other works.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think our best chance is to buy the IGMS book, and encourage them to publish a second volume with the rest of the Enderverse stories included.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I would buy a second IGMS book even if it didn't have Ender stories in it.

*not sure if anyone else would though*

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oscfan
Member # 12170

- posted      Profile for oscfan           Edit/Delete Post 
@LargeTuna:

I would! IGMS is awesome! [Big Grin] I never would have started buying them if it weren't for OSC's stories, but I really like the ones written by other authors, too.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I would very much enjoy a second printed volume of IGMS as well. I'm just not a fan of reading off a screen, but I'll gladly pay for another collection in an actual book.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
You can print out the articles and the format is actually pretty nice.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really like the ones written by other authors, too.
Aw...thanks!
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.