FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » If Enders Game Were a Disney Cartoon (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: If Enders Game Were a Disney Cartoon
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so in my insomnia last night, I was having rambling thoughts.

I was thinking about how Disney remade Robin Hood as a movie with an "all animal" cast. If "Ender's Game" were to be made into such a movie - what species of animal would be chosen for each of the characters?

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Quite frankly, the thought of turning Ender's Game into fetish fuel for the Furries is terrifying beyond belief.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah.... Let's not do this.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll let you guess who I think would have to be a beaver.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it sad that people associate the idea of characters as animals with eroticism so strongly. I too love Disney's Robin Hood with the animal characters.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just imagining Ender looking up at the stars through his window after Peter has gone to bed, doing his big "I want" song.... [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
some DAYYYYY i will be hegemonNNNNNN

oh god I just died a little inside

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Anderson is Graff's animal sidekick, who accompanies him as they wheel Stilson's body away in the dance number "Third Time's the Charm."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Ok, the only time I have ever even heard of furries was on a weird CSI episode. I didn't think this would prompt anyone to think of them. It was just a weird insomnia thought.

My main problem with assigning animals is that Peter, Valentine, and Ender SHOULD all be the same animal. It doesn't really have to be this way, but it is in Robin Hood. I wasn't sure what kind of animal could really handle all of them.

I definitely see Bonzo as a strutting rooster.

Anyway, I just thought the imagery was fun. I got a laugh at some of the musical numbers you guys picked out. I wonder if the music will seem as corny in the "real life" movie... or if we'll all just hear psychic vibes by then.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
The Wiggins would have to be Grizzly Bears. They are grand, peaceful creatures that are intelligent (for animals) and prefer to be left alone, but will bust your --- with one swipe of the paw when angered.

:goes elsewhere to relieve boredom:

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

:-) love it
Clumpy
Member # 8122

- posted      Profile for Clumpy           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. . . it's unlikely they'd use animals. It's more likely they'd add in a contemporary comedian to serve as vapid comic relief, laden the movie down with catch-phrases and nervous, cowardly characters designed to be "funny" and eliminate all of the tedious character depth and moral issues.
Posts: 127 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
There would also need to be a fat kid to be the foil. Barney Fife to Ender's Andy Taylor.

Edit to add: You mean catchphrases like "The enemy's gate is down."?

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clumpy
Member # 8122

No, catchphrases like: "Let's do this!" or "Ba-zam!"

They'd add a "token black" character while ignoring OSC's desire to make the battle school conform to normal world demographics.

i.e. there should be plenty of black people (as well as people of every conceivable race in some proportion to their projected populations a couple of centuries from now when a half-dozen "ethnic" countries will surpass U.S. numbers.) Including only one black character with a stereotypical personality (a Hollywood habit to be sure) is patronizing and degrading to some extent as it suggests that blacks only have worth if they fill some predetermined, unspoken "role". I hope OSC gets his way on this and every other issue that would make the movie stand out as an intelligent thriller.

Posts: 127 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
Chinchillas, the whole lot of them.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

quote:
Originally posted by Clumpy:
No, catchphrases like: "Let's do this!" or "Ba-zam!"

They'd add a "token black" character while ignoring OSC's desire to make the battle school conform to normal world demographics.

i.e. there should be plenty of black people (as well as people of every conceivable race in some proportion to their projected populations a couple of centuries from now when a half-dozen "ethnic" countries will surpass U.S. numbers.) Including only one black character with a stereotypical personality (a Hollywood habit to be sure) is patronizing and degrading to some extent as it suggests that blacks only have worth if they fill some predetermined, unspoken "role". I hope OSC gets his way on this and every other issue that would make the movie stand out as an intelligent thriller.

An argument against that would be that in all of that diversity, a white American kid becomes the hero, thus showing that only white Americans are capable of being heros. We all know that's not really the case. Ender is a first-generation American (Or is that second-gen? I don't know.) and he stops being American the moment he enters Battle School.

I hope Mr. Card gets his way too. I don't want to see a cliche-filled drek fest.

Clandestineguitarplayer
Member # 11571

- posted      Profile for Clandestineguitarplayer   Email Clandestineguitarplayer         Edit/Delete Post 
HEY GUYS! [Big Grin] Been way too long since I was last on... Anyways, on this exact topic, I am making a preview of Enders' Game the movie with some classmates for an English Project/ Book Report thing, and in the way of this thread it seemed like some of you have some opinions on what the movie should be like, and unfortunately since I dont have access to talking animals we are resorting to violence and actually having infantry battles between buggers and humans and I wondered what to do for Bugger costumage..... P.s. good ideas will be rewarded in the credits, and your family will have honor for generations....
Posts: 93 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Aren't they supposed to look like big ants?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
Aren't they supposed to look like big ants?

Big bipedal, (though I think they can crawl around on multiple legs as well) hairy ants.

And now I can see Peter and Valentine singing some sort of duet with the lyric, "We're gonna write! - and take on the woooooooooorld!"

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
So... would the battle schoolers wear silhouettes of various kinds of humans?

Tall army, short, fat army, athletic army... I think the anorexic army would be a fitting replacement for the pre-ender dragon army. Who could lose when all forty-one soldiers are chain smoking and saying that they have a fast metabolism.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark
Member # 6393

- posted      Profile for Mark   Email Mark         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a really cool thread idea. I just finished reading the graphic novel Maus, which I highly reccomend. Go google it. In answer to the question:

I like the idea of the Wiggins as Grizzlies.

Bean- Wolverine. Small and deadly
Alai- Dog. a loyal companion
Rackman- Fox
Crazy Tom- Hyena
Bonzo- Rat
Graff- Hippopotamus?

Some of these are pretty tough. These characters are complex.

Posts: 94 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

The more I think about it, I think Petra is a spider. :-)
Clumpy
Member # 8122

As long as we're talking about the buggers, I'd much rather have them not be seen at all. They're not really the focus.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Shen is definatly a panda, but that just might be that he's still one of my favorite characters... and that I love pandas. Graff could be a house cat, just to make the transmormation from skinny to fat all the funnier.

Slightly off topic, I think Achilles would be a duck, seemingly innocent and friendly but will turn on you when you dont give him your bread!

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clandestineguitarplayer
Member # 11571

- posted      Profile for Clandestineguitarplayer   Email Clandestineguitarplayer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes... A murdering, scheming duck... I see him as kind of a stripeless skunk posing as a cat... He reels you in with purring, and flattering and then BAM! You smell bad, or in his case... Your dead...
Posts: 93 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I see him as a wolf or a fox. [Razz]
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

No - Good wolves are too noble, and bad wolves too obvious. The same with the fox. It's too obvious he's sneaky then. A duck might be good though - it'd be easy to make the waddle pronounced
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Alai being a dog also plays into certain events in Shadow of the Giant.

*Spoilers*
Specifically when Thorn reveals to Alai what all his Wazirs have been calling him behind his back.
/Spoilers.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone a talented artist? Some renderings could be fun.
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

And plus theres the bread referance from Ender's Shadow. When all the kids gave Achilles theyre bread, but he never got bread from Poke or Bean (except once I know.)

Teach the children early that you must have bread for the ducks... they turn so violent.

The Reader
Member # 3636

Be careful, String, if that happens, we might draw the ire of Disney. Do you really want them to sue for the rights of Ender's Game? It would be about 86 minutes, have five songs, have the same simplistic moral theme as most Disney movies made in the last fifteen years, and then be forgotten. It would be a cult hit among the fanboys.

OTOH, a Disney produced EG might actually be made, and be in theaters for Christmas next year. Another benefit is that it's always easier to get away with naked animals, so that problem is avoided.

I think I would rather see Gary Larson animate the characters. Imagine those panels.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

quote:
Originally posted by The Reader:

OTOH, a Disney produced EG might actually be made, and be in theaters for Christmas next year. Another benefit is that it's always easier to get away with naked animals, so that problem is avoided.

But you would still have the scene where Rose De Nose wears nothing but a desk with animated testicles swaying to and fro.
String
Member # 6435

OK, Reader, You've just sparked my oppositional disorder. I'm getting on the project stat, Disney be damned!

Now to find a scanner...

Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
quote:
Originally posted by The Reader:

But you would still have the scene where Rose De Nose wears nothing but a desk with animated testicles swaying to and fro.
Bah, because he would be an animal, it would be a puppy licking himself, with everything objectionable hidden.

String, because you are going ahead with the project, why not make each commander the animal that the army is named for? It makes sense, unless you consider that speciesism.

String
Member # 6435

Vile speciest. Lol its a good suggestion. But would that make ender a dragon? That would be cool
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Isn't he a Dragon later? In the mind game, isn't it a Dragon for him and a unicorn for Val?
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Ender the dragon, Valentine the unicorn, Peter the jackal (or snake depending on what referance you wanna follow) so what would Jean-Paul and Theresa be to have such children?

Heh, re-enact the scene where Peter and Ender play Buggers and Astronauts in your head and you'll be as entertained as me.

Clandestineguitarplayer
Member # 11571

I would actually have Peter as a lion, mostly because I actually view him as the most heroic person in the entire series. And my favorite character. He is the reason Ender even succeeded in any ventures in his life, even if it was him trying to be unlike his 'evil' brother Peter... I always think that Ender immagined it as much worse than it actually was.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

OFF TOPIC--OFF TOPIC

While I admit that without Peter Wiggin the whole Jeesh international throwdown would have destroyed the world, but can anyone forget the squirrel? poor innocent squirrel running through the forest accepts food from a boy and is then skinned alive. That is Mr. Hegemon.

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, who hasn't skinned a squirrel alive?

They were asleep though. Weren't they?

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clandestineguitarplayer:
I would actually have Peter as a lion, mostly because I actually view him as the most heroic person in the entire series. And my favorite character. He is the reason Ender even succeeded in any ventures in his life, even if it was him trying to be unlike his 'evil' brother Peter... I always think that Ender immagined it as much worse than it actually was.

Heroic? Sheesh... I mean, I think one of the lessons we can learn from Peter is that no one is monochromatic. Peter was a sociopath, bordering on psychopath. He was also a genius. And he improved somewhat with age. But he was still the malevolent little criminal who almost killed his brother. People are complex. Great people tend to be even more complex.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clandestineguitarplayer
Member # 11571

If my memory serves me correctly then in Ender's Game Peter apologizes to Ender at night after one of their ordeals and said that he loved him, but somehow Ender always blotts that little bit of information out. I find it ironic that he is now living in the body of his hated older brother and hopefully he will begin to understand that even though Peter skinned a squirrel, (and frankly for a teenaged boy thats not that bad, I punt baby birds occasionally for example) he is still the savior of the Earth at a very delicate time in the history of humanity after the countries were divided against eachother he brought them all together and unified them in the pursuit of colonization. If he hadnt done that then there would have been some sort of nuclear holocaust and everyone would have died... Thats why I find Peter heroic, and under it all, the main protagonist throughout the Shadow series... But to each his own. This is but my own personal views on it... I am sure Mr. Card intended for Peter to be a certain way and if I fall out of line on that one then so be it... I just hated to see him go more so than I did with Bean...
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

If we characterize Peter alone, I see him as a Tiger, but that might just be because he reminds me of one of my ex-boyfriends.
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clandestineguitarplayer:
even though Peter skinned a squirrel, (and frankly for a teenaged boy thats not that bad, I punt baby birds occasionally for example).

No thats is bad and you have already fallen to the dark side.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

As a kid I used to use a voltage tester and an electric fence to fry grasshoppers. Then I'd feed the toasty critters to my little brothers (or try to anyway). Does that make me a sadist?
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it just means you are an inventive chef. Electric-fried hoppers for lunch, anyone?
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clandestineguitarplayer
Member # 11571

Ha ha ha... I have eaten my share of Grasshoppers... They really arent that bad at all if they are cooked right...
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
I see Peter as more of a coyote. Wily, seemingly chaotic-neutral. Likes to torture small animals.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
If we characterize Peter alone, I see him as a Tiger, but that might just be because he reminds me of one of my ex-boyfriends.

I recall that Young Peter in either Xenocide or Children was compared to a tiger by Si Wang-Mu.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

Hmmm... maybe that is where the idea stuck in my head. Still, he DOES remind me of the Tiger from Blake's poem.

"What immortal hand or eye, could frame thy fearful symmetry?"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.