FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Hart's Hope bibliography

Author Topic: Hart's Hope bibliography
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of any scholarly articles that deal with Hart's Hope? Most of what I can find (JSTOR, MLA, etc.) on OSC deals with Ender's Game stuff.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

<bump>

Anyone?

I'm just trying to be thorough because I'm presenting a paper on Hart's Hope this month, and while I have plenty to say, I just want to make sure that I haven't overlooked any previous scholarship.

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hate for you to feel like you're being ignored, so I'll just jump in and say... no, I'm not aware of any such scholarship.

But I'd be interested in reading yours.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Dante:

It's good to see you here again.

I don't know of anything like that either. OSC once said at a signing I attended that Hart's Hope was his least known piece of work, so I'm fairly sure you'll be safe in whatever you present.

And I'd loved to read it, if you're willing to share...

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
We'd love to post it in the student section of Hatrack so there WILL be something for future students to site.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

Thanks, guys!

As long as I'm thinking about it, are there any articles or essays you can think of (besides "Fantasy and the Believing Reader") that engage Eliot, Pound, and/or Modernism in any significant way?

steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"OSC once said at a signing I attended that Hart's Hope was his least known piece of work."

I've read it 2 or 3 times, but I wouldn't dare touch his "women of the Bible" series, or recommend them to anyone.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
I wouldn't dare touch his "women of the Bible" series, or recommend them to anyone.
Well, since you haven't read them...
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Well, since you haven't read them..."

I doubt they're bad. Lots of people recommend them. It's a personal preference.
OTOH, Hart's Hope will always be one of my top 5 or 6 faves of his books. It's a world unto itself, weird, inexplicable, and very realistic-seeming. I wish he'd set a couple more books in that world. A short story, maybe.

Well, I can hope. LOL

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Women of Genesis is some of my best work - Bible subject, and does not contradict the Bible, but can be read "safely" by unbelievers and believers alike, because I treat it as straight historical fiction and don't require the reader to make a decision of faith. Instead, any "vision" material is subjective and the reader does not have to believe in it to appreciate the story.

As for Hart's Hope, I'm not aware of any scholarship unless there's something in Michael Collings's book on my work.

Perhaps there's something I can help you with - response to questions, that sort of thing. I'm very proud of Hart's Hope, dark and structurally flawed as it is.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

OSC, that would be great! I would be very interested in your thoughts. Fortunately, I'm not a post-modernist, so I believe that reports of the death of the author have been greatly exaggerated. [Razz]

May I e-mail you a couple of questions? There's nothing intensely personal or private, but since I might want to publish this paper after the conference, I think it might be better via e-mail, if that's a possibility.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Bible subject, and does not contradict the Bible

That depends whose bible. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a non-believer, and I love the Women of Genesis series. Dramatic and very real. *I'd* recommend them to anyone. [Smile]

Hart's Hope is also great -- tied for second in a close race with Enchantment and Pastwatch, for me. All three right behind the Ender Saga.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Bellamy
Member # 10373

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Bellamy           Edit/Delete Post 
Dante,
I tried to email you so you could send OSC your questions, but your email is blocked. So -- you will need to fill out one of the contact forms on Hatrack -- it will get to us. Just say the OSC asked you to send the questions.

Kristine Card (posting from our assistant's comuputer)

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

For me, Hart's Hope trumps everything but Lost Boys and maybe Xenocide.
Dante
Member # 1106

Will do. Thanks, Kristine (via Kathleen)!
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
For me, Hart's Hope trumps everything but Lost Boys and maybe Xenocide.

No love for Worthing?
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Women of Genesis is some of my best work - Bible subject, and does not contradict the Bible, but can be read "safely" by unbelievers and believers alike, because I treat it as straight historical fiction and don't require the reader to make a decision of faith. Instead, any "vision" material is subjective and the reader does not have to believe in it to appreciate the story.

I agree 100%. I've read numerous novels which cover the same period, and yours are among my favorites. I'm eagerly awaiting more of them. And you didn't even feel the need to make Sarah a priestess of Ishtar the way Marek Halter did...

quote:
As for Hart's Hope, I'm not aware of any scholarship unless there's something in Michael Collings's book on my work.

Perhaps there's something I can help you with - response to questions, that sort of thing. I'm very proud of Hart's Hope, dark and structurally flawed as it is.

You should be. And whatever flaws you see in it aren't readily noticable, I don't think. It's one of the most beautiful things I've read. It's not my favorite of your books, necessarily, but I think it's the most magical.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I agree 100%. I've read numerous novels which cover the same period, and yours are among my favorites. I'm eagerly awaiting more of them. And you didn't even feel the need to make Sarah a priestess of Ishtar the way Marek Halter did...

I have the audiobook for Sarah sitting right here about to go into the CD-ROM drive, and your comment has me very excited to start listening. I've read Marek Halter's take as well.
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GinaG
Member # 11862

- posted      Profile for GinaG           Edit/Delete Post 
Hart's Hope was my first OSC read. I am a long-time fan of Tolkien, and of mythology, but have always been very skeptical of modern sci fi and fantasy. I started out reading with that sort of reserve, but GAH if he didn't get me.

[ November 29, 2008, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: GinaG ]

Posts: 117 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I started Hart's Hope, and though I liked the writing, I didn't have the patience to continue reading it, I suppose. It must have meant something to me though, because I can still remember quite vividly the depictions of being tortured with visions and audio hallucinations depicted in the book. I'll get around to reading it properly one of these days.

Can't say the same for Tolkein however. I got 110 pages into The Fellowship of the Ring, and felt like I had been trapped in some kind of recursively self-generating series of discursive descriptions of meaningless things. Honestly, I can't wrap my mind around the friends who love those books- I could understand a certain amount of eccentricity and appreciation of things I don't like, but I mean, seriously, reading Lord of the Rings, for me, was like voluntarily crawling through a field of mud for no reason.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GinaG
Member # 11862

- posted      Profile for GinaG           Edit/Delete Post 
Heresy! [Smile]
Posts: 117 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkein is kind of like beer maybe. It tastes godawful the first time you drink it... and that was enough for me with Tolkein.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.