FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » I'm a laughingstock (Heartfire cover)

Author Topic: I'm a laughingstock (Heartfire cover)
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm making my way through the Alvin Maker series, and nobody in class really paid any attention till today at lunch, when the class joker asked "Andy, is that a romance novel?" Of course, as soon as he saw the cover and the title, "Heartfire", no amount of explanation on my part would save me the embarrassment of having everyone in the department think I was reading a seedy romance novel. I was even getting ribbed by the teachers. I tried letting him open it to prove it's an innocent fantasy, and of COURSE he reads one of the FEW passages that has to deal with sex. I just couldn't win.

I can stomach the embarrassment, though, because I absolutely love the series. I can't wait to see what happens with this Purity character. Hopefully I'll finish tonight so I can go back tomorrow with a more manly book in hand. (Is the next cover more manly?)

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. Yeah... I'm not quite sure what the marketing strategy behind featuring a bare-chested well-muscled man on the covers of the Alvin Maker books is.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

That's a serious bummer....

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
LOL. Yeah... I'm not quite sure what the marketing strategy behind featuring a bare-chested well-muscled man on the covers of the Alvin Maker books is.

Maybe thats why some of us bought the book..... [Grumble]
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
LW: It didn't even occur to me that the cover looks like a romance novel but in retrospect I have to agree. [Big Grin]

Though as far as romances go, Alvin and Peggy are not the most "romantical" so to speak.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:

Not that it's necessarily related in any way, but you reminded me...It's even harder to explain why some of the art distributed with official LDS publications features such scantily clad and muscle-bound men. But then, maybe not...look at religious art produced in the renaissance.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Sunday
Member # 10466

- posted      Profile for Stephen Sunday   Email Stephen Sunday         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man. I had this SAME thing happen with me, on more than one occasion, such as with my girlfriend, various coworkers, etc.

Actually, whenever I reread the Alvin Maker books, all of which I own in paperback, I have to sort of keep them to myself. I don't really care what people think of me, but it's awkward when the thousandth person asks you "dude, is that a romance novel" or "you do realize that the little boy in the loincloth looks like he's the indian's bitch, bro" or "Stephen, are you actually reading a book with really bad Fabio-style cover art? I thought you were an elitist snob?"

Yeah, seriously fire the dude who made the cover art.

Oh and write the last freaking Alvin book, too.

Now, I've posted about that before, though-- the write the last book thing. But I mean it. And I don't care if Alvin dies or whatever-- I want to know what happens. Mr. Card, here's how your stuff stacks up in my opinion:

1. The proper "ENDER" books
2. The "ALVIN" books
3. Everything else except the "BEAN" books
4. Random interviews posted on the internet
5. "Bean" books.

You're one of my favorite authors. Only Gaiman and Donaldson beat you in my book.

Finish Alvin so I can die happy. Do it for the children, Jesus, and America--

and when you, Mr. Card,

in the name of all that matters,

please use your influence to make sure that the final Alvin book doesn't have cover art featuring flying and/or glowing men with well-muscled chests.

Do it because it's the right thing to do. Do it for the future.

Do it.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Sunday
Member # 10466

- posted      Profile for Stephen Sunday   Email Stephen Sunday         Edit/Delete Post 
ADDENDUM: Flying and/or glowing men with well-muscled chests are semi-acceptable, contingent of course upon the fact that they are appropriately dressed, not embracing anyone, nowhere near younger boys, and not actually displaying the aforementioned "well-muscled" chests.

Also, no weenuses. That hasn't shown up on cover art yet, but let's make sure it never makes the cover art. Thanks.

Sincerely,
yeah dude, for real already.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah when I first checked those books out at the library I sorta implied they were for my wife. They bought it because I'm always getting Nicholas sparks books for her. At least I hope they bought the story and don't think I read Nicholas Sparks. Maybe next time I better throw a few war books in the pile just to be sure.

As an aside, Wives of Isreal needs to be added to Stephen's list. (for my wife of course)

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Little known fact-- all Mormon men are built like the Alvin on the covers of Heartfire and The Crystal City.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Little known fact-- all Mormon men are built like the Alvin on the covers of Heartfire and The Crystal City.

Hmm
That would make me consider dating Mormon fellows. I once met a missionary that had such beautiful blue eyes.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Sunday:
Oh man. I had this SAME thing happen with me, on more than one occasion, such as with my girlfriend, various coworkers, etc.

Actually, whenever I reread the Alvin Maker books, all of which I own in paperback, I have to sort of keep them to myself. I don't really care what people think of me, but it's awkward when the thousandth person asks you "dude, is that a romance novel" or "you do realize that the little boy in the loincloth looks like he's the indian's bitch, bro" or "Stephen, are you actually reading a book with really bad Fabio-style cover art? I thought you were an elitist snob?"

Yeah, seriously fire the dude who made the cover art.

Oh and write the last freaking Alvin book, too.

Now, I've posted about that before, though-- the write the last book thing. But I mean it. And I don't care if Alvin dies or whatever-- I want to know what happens. Mr. Card, here's how your stuff stacks up in my opinion:

1. The proper "ENDER" books
2. The "ALVIN" books
3. Everything else except the "BEAN" books
4. Random interviews posted on the internet
5. "Bean" books.

You're one of my favorite authors. Only Gaiman and Donaldson beat you in my book.

Finish Alvin so I can die happy. Do it for the children, Jesus, and America--

and when you, Mr. Card,

in the name of all that matters,

please use your influence to make sure that the final Alvin book doesn't have cover art featuring flying and/or glowing men with well-muscled chests.

Do it because it's the right thing to do. Do it for the future.

Do it.

I agree with your order of events with the caveat that Ender's Shadow is superior to Ender's Game.

It does not measure up to Speaker and Xenocide of course.

But Ender's Shadow is quality work.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Sunday
Member # 10466

I'll concur with that, having given it much thought and consideration.
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
All right. It seems pretty clear, but I have to ask for clarification anyway, because I cannot seem to wrap my mind around what I think I just read, and I just want to make sure I understood you guys right.

Did you two just agree that Ender's Shadow is superior to Ender's Game?

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear, I believe they did just that.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Which book did you read first-- Ender's Shadow, or Ender's Game?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I had read Ender's Game probably three times before ever starting Ender's Shadow.

And yes, we did agree that Shadow is superior to Ender's Game.

It's a fact.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
People, Ender's Shadow is NOT better than Ender's Game. End of discussion.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Originally posted by Lanfear:
I had read Ender's Game probably three times before ever starting Ender's Shadow.

It's a fact.

It may be a fact that you agreed that ES is better than EG.

I enjoyed EG more, and I feel it is the more powerful work. I enjoyed ES plenty, but it didn't move me like EG did.

TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough. I just had to check... You understand.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Why do you think I've been pregnant 5 times in 5 years?

For that matter, why do you think I converted?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lanfear:

It's a fact.

It may be a fact that you agreed that ES is better than EG.

I enjoyed EG more, and I feel it is the more powerful work. I enjoyed ES plenty, but it didn't move me like EG did.

'
I agree.
EG is my cup of tea.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Why do you think I've been pregnant 5 times in 5 years?'

ba-dump shhhhh...!

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Sunday
Member # 10466

Holy crap I need to quit drinking.

For some reason, Lanfear, my esteemed comrade, I misinterpreted your response to my initial post...

I don't find ES superior to EG. I found many aspects of it quite annoying, such as what seemed to me excessive reimagining of the events in the Battle School which seemed forced, as though Mr. Card were attempting to commoditize Bean for the sole purpose of justifying the mediocre sequels that would follow his ho-hum life.

I did, however, find it on par, in many respects, with the later Ender books (especially Xenocide and Children).

I was rather in my cups when I revisited the board to see the current case of affairs.

Moral of the story: Sorry. Lanfear, I respect your opinion. I didn't like the Bean books nearly as much as many other folks did... but that's just me.

Also, still waiting on the last Alvin book.

Good night folks.

Sincerely,
Stephen Sunday

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

It's just that in The Bean Books OSC spends MORE TIME possessing characters to tell everyone reading about getting married and having babies.

Well, perhaps if he were to send me a nice, not too conservative MAN I'll consider it.

DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with getting married and having babies? Not that I've really managed it all that well, but just wondering...
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing. [Smile]

Authors' world views and what is important to them change, and yes, it shows in their works ofttimes.

If I have to have a recurring theme in an author's work, I don't mind it being "getting married and having kids and rearing them is a worthwhile and good thing to do with your life, and one of the most important things you will do." [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Also, I now have that line from My Big Fat Greek Wedding running through my head.

"Get married! Make babies! You starting to look so... old!" [ROFL]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by DDDaysh:
What's wrong with getting married and having babies? Not that I've really managed it all that well, but just wondering...

Nothing really.
I want babies. But people need to THINK before they have kids, I think.
To avoid passing things on that shouldn't be passed.

Plus it's irritating when it's in almost every book.

Scott R
Member # 567

It's not.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Yeah it is...
It's not really a good idea to JUST get married and have kids without thought.
My parents come to mind and a whole line of people.

Plus I want to be entertained, not lectured.

Scott R
Member # 567

Would you characterize Bean and Petra's actions as "without thought?"
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Well... Considering that most of his kids have a rare devastating disease, and that their embryos got stolen and they should have seen that coming...
And Bean had to be convinced into having kids with that irritating speech...

Plus they were teenagers. Sure they were smart teens, but still.

LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] This thread reminds me of those dumb facebook groups
example: Ender's Game vs. Ender's Shadow (Ender side)

i wonder who would win, i personnally prefer Ender's Game

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Those book covers are very embarrassing. For the whole Alvin Maker series I slid my book out of my backpack onto the desk cover down.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I don't really mind the cover.
I just think it's a shame I can't pull him off the cover of the book or something.

AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Im coming up on the same problem with a Tanya Huff trilogy, Summon the Keeper-Second Summoning-Long Hot Summoning. I really think she did that last title just to mess with everyone who liked her more fantasy/comedy work but ignored alot of her other books.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

At least it doesn't have embarrassing titles the way Laurell K Hamilton's Merry series does.
Like Lick of Frost with some partially nude chick.
The next one is called Swallowing Darkness. That's just kind of dirty.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
They make these things now called bookcovers. Yes, even for paperbacks. This one is sort of in the middle of the range, both price-wise and design-wise. They are often sold as bible covers, but I know plenty of folks who use 'em to cover other books.

Edit: Actually this other one is more like what I've seen commonly used. And cheaper -- $6.50 (plus s&h, I assume).

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Those would be even more embarrassing.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E. Wiggin
Member # 11764

- posted      Profile for E. Wiggin   Email E. Wiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Well on the good side, well, there IS no good side
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all embarrass too easily. [Razz] The good news is that you'll probably outgrow that tendency.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.