FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Would the Last Honest Reporter Please Turn On the Lights?

Author Topic: Would the Last Honest Reporter Please Turn On the Lights?
jam1964
Member # 11794

- posted      Profile for jam1964           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Card,

Up until today, I have been a huge fan of your books for many years. I have hooked many friends on Science Fiction and Fantasy by purchasing “Ender’s Game” for them. No more. All of your books that I own just went into the trash. Please see the timely article below about how Republicans were paid to block passage of any reform for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Democrats were against any changes based on principle. Republicans were against based on greed and bribes. So much for Democrats being solely responsible for the credit collapse.

A truly disappointed former fan,

John M
Canton, GA

Report: Mortgage firm arranged stealth campaign

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-10-20-fannie-freddie_N.htm?csp=34

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Why would that invalidate books you enjoyed in the past? Did you find some kind of insidious political agenda in all of them?
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Jam, we hardly knew you...
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent. Had you, say, donated those books, sold them to a used book store, or given them to a friend, they might have cost OSC sales. Instead, you removed them from circulation and created the possibility that one extra person will buy each of those books some day, rather than getting them free from someone who didn't want them any more.

Bravo! Thank you for supporting my favorite living author in this manner!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
It's like a book-burning party where everyone shows up with a book they bought for the express purpose of destroying. Profit for the enemy!
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larax
Member # 11795

- posted      Profile for Larax           Edit/Delete Post 
Orson doesn't need me to speak for him... but the very USA Today article cited by John M. is just more proof that Orson is correct. Orson did not say that the current economic debacle was the fault of only the Democrats. He said that the Press is not telling the true story. USA Today has not told the whole story... and they know the truth. We the People need to know how we got into this mess (else no informed electorate can exist), and the press has not been telling us what they know... they are telling us what they want us to know. That is propaganda, not journalism.

Democrats did block several attempts (by Republicans) to regulate and rein in Freddy and Fannie. The Liberal Press (I refer to the press as Pravda) has barely mentioned this. This is “ABOVE THE FOLD” material. If Republicans had blocked these regulatory measures, it would have been printed above the fold for weeks on end. Not to report this widely is propaganda.

It is an abuse of power... illegitimate power at that. The presumption that the major media is informing the nation can no longer be held by any fair minded person.

Larax

“We cannot all be parasites and expect to host to survive.”

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

Yeah, it's amazing how willfully blind some people can be. His favorite author doesn't think Republicans are evil to the core, and so his books go in the trash. His source of evidence that Card's blame of the mainstream media's purposeful avoidance of their party's responsibility (in any capacity) for our economic troubles: the mainstream media. Incredible. Welcome to the White House, Obama. You will be elected by a bunch of dopes.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you said a single thing that would make the original author want to return to partake in your vitriol? Or are you basically venting to make yourself feel better?

I mean, if it's the latter, knock yourselves out... But I think you'll find there isn't a heckuva lot of audience.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jam1964:
All of your books that I own just went into the trash.

I call BS.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What's with the steam of Card hate lately? I mean, usually every couple months either a newbie or even a regular pops up with a rant or even a carefully worded protest of his essays, but it seems like there have been an inordinate amount recently. Is it just because of the attention his essays are getting? Maybe that's drawing more people here, or is the election just heightening people's sensitivity?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Liberal Press (I refer to the press as Pravda)
Yeah, that's a great way to convince people you're thinking rationally about this issue. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynda
Member # 11730

- posted      Profile for lynda           Edit/Delete Post 
I am still very new to the hatrack,a friend gave me Enders Game 2 months ago. (i have read 12 OSC books since then) I was suprised that the hatrack is so political.I thought it would only be about OSC's books. Now I am learning what a great community this is. I dont know if there is any other place like this.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
What's with the steam of Card hate lately? I mean, usually every couple months either a newbie or even a regular pops up with a rant or even a carefully worded protest of his essays, but it seems like there have been an inordinate amount recently. Is it just because of the attention his essays are getting? Maybe that's drawing more people here, or is the election just heightening people's sensitivity?

I don't know... Maybe some of both. Without some statistics, it's hard to know who is a outraged lurker and who searched Card strictly to vent their outrage.

I'm hoping that with the election, it may die down a little... But, honestly, if the aftermath of the election gifts us a Worldwatch article about how the dishonest and dishonorable Democrats and their cronies in academia and the liberal media stole the election from godfearing, patriotic Americans and the respectful and honest McCain, I'm going to freaking vomit.

Whoever wins, a short moratorium on bile to see if one's respective political Antichrist might actually prove to be a competent and effective leader does not seem too much to ask, even from Card.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But, honestly, if the aftermath of the election gifts us a Worldwatch article about how the dishonest and dishonorable Democrats and their cronies in academia and the liberal media stole the election from godfearing, patriotic Americans and the respectful and honest McCain, I'm going to freaking vomit.

Whoever wins, a short moratorium on bile to see if one's respective political Antichrist might actually prove to be a competent and effective leader does not seem too much to ask, even from Card.

I think all Obama-supporting Hatrackers should pledge not to post about any World Watch columns written to vent about the inevitable result of the election.

I now so pledge.

I remember how I felt in '04 (I couldn't stop listening to Rage Against the Machine) and I know I posted some ill-considered crap at that time. Let's let OSC do the same without adding to his pain.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Perhaps I should just take a hiatus after the election...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.