FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » empire

Author Topic: empire
ihatecommies
Member # 11817

- posted      Profile for ihatecommies           Edit/Delete Post 
I just have one question. When is the sequel to EMPIRE coming out? Is it in the works? Is there to be no sequel? If someone knows please respond.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
there is no well-documented notification of intent for a sequel, and it's been about two years. initial google-fu says: no sequel
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
How does one write a sequel to a book with that ending? it seems to be a big order to fill, not to mention lots of cookie referances.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I like cookies... hmmm... maybe today is baking day?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ihatecommies:
I just have one question. When is the sequel to EMPIRE coming out? Is it in the works? Is there to be no sequel? If someone knows please respond.

Whatever plans may have existed for a sequel, I would imagine the somewhat negative reception of the novel have not been encouraging. Then again, what do I know? The book may have sold well, and it has been acquired as a movie property- though that may be in anticipation of an Ender movie heating up speculation on OSC novel-to-film adaptions.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they'd actually have to release the game first.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting the urban myth right here and now, there is a curse upon all things OSC. They may only exist in printed paper, no movies, no games, they just seem to not come to fruition.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I don't think it's a curse. Some writers simply make it very difficult for hollywood to adapt their work. I don't think that's a bad thing either. If OSC weren't as interested as he apparently is in making a great movie, there would be one already. It took Douglas Adams dying before a movie was made out of H2G2, and that movie wasn't very good at all- big surprise.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Empire is not going to be made into a video game. Not because of a curse, but because the idea is retarded. "liberals assassinate the president, invade new york and kill everyone wearing a uniform, and try to take over the country using secret hoverbike and mech technology, the game" would cause people to roll their eyes so hard it might just cause ophthalmologic damage.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Writing the book, and the development of the game Empire were supposed to be hand in hand, the gaming company even delayed certain parts of thier own work to make sure that the two worked together. But then again I havent heard anything about it in a year, so Im assuming that the game is scrapped so it may just be a moot point. But I do wonder if OSC went a little far fetched for the sake of the game? the first appearance of the mechs in NYC seemed a bit forced.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I finally found OSC talking about sequels.

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/839/839088/vids_1.html

So, the high-tech army are the insurrectionists, taking over new york in order to correct the mistake 'made in 2000'

and they have evil villain cloaks that they wear when they stand atop their mechs.

dot dot dot

Terry O'Brien
Member # 12014

- posted      Profile for Terry O'Brien   Email Terry O'Brien         Edit/Delete Post 
The "mistake of 2000" is tounge-in-cheek. If you know anything of OSC's politics you'd know he was a firm Bush Supporter, though a Democrat.

And there is no mention of capes or men standing atop the mechs when they enter the city. That's a little dramatic license by the illustrator.

That said, I think Empire, while not his best work, is certianly entertaining enough if you suspend enough disbelief. I loved Malich and Cole an though it a shame Ruben died. The development of his character in the opening chapters is aces.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ken_in_sc
Member # 12072

- posted      Profile for ken_in_sc           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed Empire. I’m sorry there does not seem to be a sequel in the works. Perhaps not a sequel but something in the same frame of reference, which combines political, and science fiction would be a good idea.
Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Terry O'Brien:
The "mistake of 2000" is tounge-in-cheek. If you know anything of OSC's politics you'd know he was a firm Bush Supporter, though a Democrat.

Yes. I know. That means that the premise of this book is that liberals are so salty over Bush's election that they assassinate the president and try to take over the country through military force.

real even handed there. real even handed.

jumpsub
Member # 1613

- posted      Profile for jumpsub   Email jumpsub         Edit/Delete Post 
Locus's Forthcoming books lists "Hidden Empire" in December 2009, and Amazon confirms that it is a sequel to Empire.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluvatar
Member # 12130

- posted      Profile for Eluvatar           Edit/Delete Post 
First, I do think that OSC tried to be evenhanded in Empire. I do not feel that he was entirely successful, but it seemed to me that he tried.

As a minor quibble, I'll note that he actually has Islamic Terrorists assassinate the President (though an 'evil liberal' does hand them the plans to do so... under the instructions of Evil Augustus Wannabe).

Indeed what I found most disturbing in the book was Evil Augustus Wannabe's complete and total victory at the end. I look forward to a sequel simply in hopes that he may be taken down.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
The game based in the Empire universe is set for release in August. Here's a first impression of the game Shadow Complex.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Shadow Complex is indeed the Empire game -- I believe it's coming out in September. Scott saw it yesterday, loved it, so did our daughter. The book sequel, Hidden Empire comes in December. I've read it and love it. (And Empire sold very well, thank you very much.)
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the G4 preview of it from E3 on youtube, it's looking very nice, can't wait, hehe it might be fun to try and play through the game while reading through the book at the same daily pace if they're similar enough. [Big Grin]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I think the game takes place as a prequel to Empire -- same world, not same story.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by kacard:
Shadow Complex is indeed the Empire game -- I believe it's coming out in September. Scott saw it yesterday, loved it, so did our daughter. The book sequel, Hidden Empire comes in December. I've read it and love it. (And Empire sold very well, thank you very much.)

Well I bought it, so I guess my speculation was kind of like trying to drive to Tahoe on Thursday night because "everybody is going to start out Friday morning."
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. I try not to get excited about OSC books until there is a confirmed release, especially sequels. I am now excited.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mott
Member # 9574

- posted      Profile for Mott           Edit/Delete Post 
Shadow Complex comes out on August 19'th, and I can't wait!!! Been watching preview videos all week. [Smile] Now if we could only get a company to make "The Fantasy Game," so I can try my hand at the giant's drink, I'd be all set. [Razz]
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daventor
Member # 11981

- posted      Profile for daventor           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed "Empire" quite a bit, though I can see why it would really chafe people of certain political persuasions (he was trying to blast extremists, though, rather than just one end of the political spectrum; not entirely successful, though).

Anyhoot, one part of me's excited for the sequel to the story. But on the other hand, one of the things I enjoyed most about Empire was that it had such an ambiguous ending, unlike the other Card novels I'd read. It's not a sure thing if the good guys won or if they were all duped.

That ending, along with SPOILERS Start- the original protagonist getting killed halfway through the novel- SPOILERS done, gave the story a darker edge, and regardless of how readers feel about the politics of the novel, I thought that was pretty cool. I almost wish it'd be left that way.

That said, I'll definitely read the sequel when it comes out.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
So... sequel soon huh?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.