FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Just ordered my 5th or 6th copy of Ender's Game

Author Topic: Just ordered my 5th or 6th copy of Ender's Game
Razputin
Member # 9522

- posted      Profile for Razputin   Email Razputin         Edit/Delete Post 
I always seem to give away my copy of Ender's Game to my friends or anyone who is a OSC virgin; so I just ordered yet another copy, this time the Ender's Game Gift Edition; how many times have you purchased one of OSC's books to replace missing copies?
Posts: 40 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh Cooper
Member # 11533

- posted      Profile for Josh Cooper   Email Josh Cooper         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't give away the holy word. I lend it.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have only had to re-buy Seventh Son and Pastwatch after giving them away. (Pastwatch twice.)
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
I always have an extra copy of Ender's Game in paper back on my bookshelf. I think I have bought 7 or eight copies now, but I usually can find a paperback at a used bookstore for a few dollars. But in saying that I also have two hard cover copies and one of Ender's War.
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iarn Greiper
Member # 10731

- posted      Profile for Iarn Greiper           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a paperback and one hardcover...Got the hardcover because I already had a well-worn paperback signed, and I wanted the hardcover for collection purposes...got it signed as well.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I stole a copy from one of my mother's work friends on accident when I was younger. He gave it to her to lend to me because he thought I'd like it, and it never made it back to him. I ended up buying another copy because I have this weird thing about used books.

The copy I stole ended up being stolen from me when I lent it to another friend of mine. She was spending the Summer in Ghana and it was stolen out of her bag at the airport. Just doing my part so spread the sci-fi gospel to Ghana's finest.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha!

My ender books were almost all taken from my middle school library.....

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
i just bought 5 more copies. (With school money,though, so i guess it doesn't really count.)

More copies than I can account for have disappeared from my classroom library--or just been read so many times that they fell apart.

OSC sent me 2 hardback copies a few years ago to replace all of the ones that've been liberated. (Thanks again, Mr. Card!)

I think he'd be happy to know that I've never once asked a student to answer the following question:

What is the THEME of ENDER'S GAME? [Wink]

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
A good book seems to have a mind of its own, I dont know what happened to the copy I first read, and I dont know what happened to the last copy I bought...
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colonel Graff
Member # 11872

- posted      Profile for Colonel Graff   Email Colonel Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
I only have one copy of it. That seems to be enough for me.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
More than I can count....

I just bought another one for a colleague as a Christmas gift.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
12, I just counted the number of copies in my room.....
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
You stole twelve books from your library?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
So far I've had to buy 4 copies of Enders Game for myself. Two fell apart and two were liberated of my care by others.

You'll be interested to know that I didn't buy another copy for myself. Instead, I bought a copy for my husband and hijacked his. [Wink]

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
My first and favorite copy of Ender's Game came from a library. The discard bin, believe it or not. I paid one quarter for it and regard that as the most well-spent 25 cents of my life. [Wink]
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I have probably bought over 20 copies of EG. At first, I would not get it back and be upset, now I tell people to pass it on. If I could, I would leave a copy in the drawer at hotels. I could be known as a Cardeon. [Smile]
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Brojack Bibles? [Big Grin]
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never bought a single copy of EG -- or Speaker. I still have the ones my 9th grade English teacher gave me. They do not get loaned out.

I'm still friends with the teacher, too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to get a new copy. I can't find my old one. Anybody want to make a permanent loan? [Wink]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razputin
Member # 9522

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I ended up buying another copy because I have this weird thing about used books.

Me too, I always imagine that the owner read it while on the toilet and thus can't think of ever touching it... [Smile]
Posts: 40 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theinvid
Member # 11912

- posted      Profile for theinvid   Email theinvid         Edit/Delete Post 
I've lost track of how many I've purchased and have given away.
There is nothing better than finding an Ender's Game virgin and living vicariously through them as they read the book for the first time!

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Razputin:
quote:
I ended up buying another copy because I have this weird thing about used books.

Me too, I always imagine that the owner read it while on the toilet and thus can't think of ever touching it... [Smile]
Great. Just GREAT.

<goes to burn half his library>

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife lent out my only copy of Ender's Game to one of her friends 2 years ago. I still haven't seen its return despite my occasional hints I'd like to get it back. Really sucks, 'cause OSC signed that copy for me when I met him.

She does manage to get all her Twilight books back when lending them for some reason.

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Grounds for divorce.

(Just kidding.)

But seriously, if that were mine, I wouldn't be 'hinting' at wanting it back.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razputin
Member # 9522

Me too. I would cry if I owned and lost a personally signed copy of EG. If it doesn't return, your wife will owe you big until the end of time, unless she can bring OSC home for dinner. [Smile]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Razputin:
quote:

::snort:: I'd never even thought that.

I was really upset this semester when I found that I had to buy all used books for my history class because they were all unavailable on Amazon at the time and the book store at school didn't have any new ones, and I didn't have time to hunt them down. A friend at worked remarked that I was the only person she knew that would be upset at the prospect of having to buy used books over new.

It's not so much a sanitation issue. I'm not actually sure what it is, I just really like the feeling of new books, pristine and unmarred by others' hands. Used books just don't have the same feel or magic to me.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

Same here. I have only bought used books at college when new ones weren't available, and I have never sold any of them back.

I hate having a textbook that someone else has already written in.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm not alone in the world!

Thanks Sean.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.