FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New technology in Ender in Exile? (Possible Spoiler)

Author Topic: New technology in Ender in Exile? (Possible Spoiler)
WallabyWannabe
Member # 11677

- posted      Profile for WallabyWannabe   Email WallabyWannabe         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished "Ender in Exile" (EiE) and haven't yet been able to access the revisions to the existing stories that are referenced in the afterwords and my concern may be addressed in the revisions but it seems to be a major continuity issue...

I believe that EiE is the first time the use of "stasis chambers" for human suspended animation is invoked in the series. Although it is reasonable that technology for some form of "stasis" would/could exist it being introduced now raises the question of why it was not invoked earlier. There two cases in particular were relativistic time dilation is invoked to extend the life spans... Maser to be Ender's mentor and Bean (and his kids) in the order to have time to find a way to reverse the effects of Antons key. If "stasis" was available it would seem that it would have be a simpler and more cost effective means to the same end. While stasis might not have be available for Maser, it was available prior to Ender leaving the Sol system and therefore would have be available for Bean's departure. These are the most obvious cases, the ability to place people in stasis would have been useful on other occasions.

If this point is covered in the revisions I am sorry for bringing it up here...

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
This has been discussed at a fair length in the thread Ender in Exile. Here's a link:

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005054;p=5&r=nfx#000204

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.