FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » EG lovers suggest a book for me.

Author Topic: EG lovers suggest a book for me.
theinvid
Member # 11912

- posted      Profile for theinvid   Email theinvid         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that pretty much everyone posting in here is a fan of Ender's Game and the subsequent Enderverse novels...for various reasons.

Could you guys please recommend some other sci-fi books to me that are as awesome as EG (well, as close to awesome as EG as they can hope to get)

Please give me the book title, author and WHY or WHAT you like about the book.

I appreciate it. [Hat]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russel
Loved:
Science vs Religion
Characters overcoming language barrier (language aquisition) and the miscommunications that may result in a false sense of superiority.
The way the story is presented in flashbacks.
I know I am not the best poster. I am a reader not a writer. lol Maybe someone that has read this book and liked it may be able to give you some more insight.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are open to short fiction, try Masterpieces, edited by OSC. These are OSC's picks of the best in the genre / most influential to him.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
There are dozens of threads like this on the board, and very few times can you get a decent consensus.

I suggest you try goodreads (www.goodreads.com) and search for people who gave Ender's Game 5 stars. Then compare your tastes against their rankings for other books. If you seem generally compatible with a persons rankings on books you've shared, then using books they ranked highly as a "to reads" list will give you more books than you'll probably ever be able to read in a lifetime.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAParent
Member # 11810

- posted      Profile for LAParent           Edit/Delete Post 
I second The Sparrow. A great book. The sequel is not as good, unfortunately.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antronics
Member # 11894

- posted      Profile for antronics   Email antronics         Edit/Delete Post 
..I really enjoyed Hot Sleep, by OSC. I know there's other versions of that story that are more recent then Hot Sleep, but I haven't read them. But I really liked Hot Sleep.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the starcraft books, especially Liberty's Crusade
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know that pretty much everyone posting in here is a fan of Ender's Game and the subsequent Enderverse novels...for various reasons.
While I am, by no means is everybody here.

You might want to read Starship Troopers by Heinlein, if for no other reason than because so many people have compared Ender's Game to it over the years. And besides that, it's fun science fiction story that's worth reading.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
You might want to read Starship Troopers by Heinlein, if for no other reason than because so many people have compared Ender's Game to it over the years. And besides that, it's fun science fiction story that's worth reading.

Second! And if you end up liking that, I recommend Orphanage by Robert Buettner, which pays homage to Heinlein. Military sci-fi, aliens attack Earth, narrated in first-person by a messed-up teen who becomes a soldier, etc. It's a series but the first book stands alone. (The next book was great, 3rd just okay, and the 4th is on my to-read list.)
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
If you like Heinlein's Starship Troopers and Card's Ender's Game I recommend Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Its a series of 4 books and a short story now. Read them in order.

Old Man's War
The Ghost Brigades
The Sagen Diary (short story)
The Last colony
Zoe's Tale

Zoe's tale is the same story as colony, but from a different POV. He thanks Orson Scott Card for that idea in the credits.

Seriously I thought it was better than Heinlein and the Old Man's universe is as in depth and intricate as Card's Enderverse. Card wins out in volume of writing, but for quality their near equals.

Scalzi really surprised me in the story a few times and that doesn't happen too often. He also has the 'best first chapter' surprise I've ever read in all of my readings. I won't say which of the 4 books has it though.

Also the Sagen Diary is available on Sclzi's website for free download as an audiobook. Its beautifully read by some of the best female voices of audiobooks IMO. Don't listen to it until you've at least read OMW and GB though.

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed Old Man's War, but the style of exposition he employs, while charming at first, ended up grating on my nerves by the second book. I'll still read the rest of the books in the series--the first two were a lot of fun--but I definitely wouldn't put Scalzi's writing in the same class as Card's was when he was at the top of his game.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

Noeman, have you heard the Sagen Diaries yet?

You can download the whole thing here on Scalzi's website:
http://whatever.scalzi.com/2007/02/05/the-sagan-diary-the-audio-version/

Since you've read the first 2 books, the diaries won't ruin anything for you and I think listening to them adds to the enjoyment of the last 2 novels.

Scalzi and Card aren't identical. But where Card sometimes lacks consistency in storytelling Scalzi doesn't. Where Card's dialogue is a joy to read, Scalzi's isn't as good. Where they are similar is the little surprises that make you laugh out loud. Honestly I'm still not sure which author comes out ahead for me.

Probably still Card, since I like the diversity of stories he tells, but for straight sci-fi, Scalzi is awesome too.

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen mentioned here a book where super-soldiers were raised and trained up in just a few weeks, and one of the books they read during that time was Ender's Game.

Does that sound familiar?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Demon
Member # 11938

- posted      Profile for Mark Demon   Email Mark Demon         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it all depends on what you like to read.

I've read all of the EG books at least three times a piece.

Some of my favorite other Sci-Fi books are:

Cryptonomicon - Neil Stephenson
Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein
Altered Carbon, Broken Angles - Richard K. Morgan
Do Androids dream of electric Sheep
2001, 2010, 2060, 3001 - Arthur C. Clark
Neuromancer, Mona Lisa Overdrive - William Gibson
Of course the Call of Earth Series by OSC

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Demon
Member # 11938

- posted      Profile for Mark Demon   Email Mark Demon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and one I forgot..

Future Wars which is a collection of Sci-Fi Short Stories. The first one is what the movie Screamers was based on.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Steve_G:
Noeman, have you heard the Sagen Diaries yet?

You can download the whole thing here on Scalzi's website:
http://whatever.scalzi.com/2007/02/05/the-sagan-diary-the-audio-version/

I haven't, Steve, but I will now. Thanks!

Have you read any of Scalzi's other stuff? I picked up The Android's Dream at a used bookstore the other day, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

quote:
Scalzi and Card aren't identical. But where Card sometimes lacks consistency in storytelling Scalzi doesn't.
I think that the difference here is that Card has been writing for quite a bit longer than Scalzi has. To be fair, you'd have to compare Scalzi's current body of work to Card's circa 1990. In that comparison, I think that Card comes out the clear winner (though I recognize, of course, that there is more than a little subjectivity in an evaluation like that).

quote:
Where they are similar is the little surprises that make you laugh out loud.
Agreed.

quote:
Honestly I'm still not sure which author comes out ahead for me.
For me, Pre-1997 Card beats Scalzi hands down, while Scalzi beats (but doesn't trounce) post-1996 Card.

Porter, I believe that what you're thinking of is Scalzi's work. Specifically, I think that you're recalling something from The Ghost Brigades. I could be mistaken, though.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
If you like the heavily philosophical later novels in the EG series (SftD, X, CotM) I highly recommend Ursula K LeGuin

Her book "The Dispossessed" is probably my favourite sci-fi book ever written.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

LeGuin is definitely one of the greats. Left Hand of Darkness and The Lathe of Heaven are probably my two favorites of hers. Really, though, I think that I enjoy her short fiction even more than her novel length stuff. "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas", "Mazes", "The Wife's Story"...man. Just fantastic stuff.
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas is simply fantastic. OSC's "masterpieces" actually introduced me to it, and last year I had a Philosophy professor have us read it and write an essay about it in class - I was pretty stoked!

I really need to do a comprehensive read through of all her short fiction. I've seen 4 of his short story collections in the library, but haven't had time to delve into them much. [Frown]

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

So I started Old Man's War today. It's pretty fun. [Smile]
Noemon
Member # 1115

Isn't it, though?

Dogbreath, I think that my favorite of her collections is The Compass Rose, if you're looking for a place to start.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

So I finished it today. It sure is. [Smile]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Oh, and I got to that part in The Ghost Brigades. That was indeed the book I had heard of. Thanks!
Keivan Ettefagh
Member # 11940

- posted      Profile for Keivan Ettefagh   Email Keivan Ettefagh         Edit/Delete Post 
Dune
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidDanger
Member # 11941

- posted      Profile for KidDanger           Edit/Delete Post 
"The Man Who Never Missed" by: Steve Perry
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Oh, and I got to that part in The Ghost Brigades. That was indeed the book I had heard of. Thanks!

[Smile] Sure. So what do you think of the exposition in the second book? What struck me as a fun stylistic choice in the first really got on my nerves in the second.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I can see why it would bother you, but I was fine with it.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Are you going to be reading The Sagan Diaries and then going on to the third book? If so, let me know if he continues to employ the same expository style.

By the way, Steve, I started listening to The Sagan Diaries, and am enjoying it. I need to burn the tracks to a CD so that I can listen to it in the car.

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

Bumping an old thread...

I finally got a chance to read Old Man's War (had it on hold at the library for a while), and found it immensely enjoyable. It was a good take on Heinlein and Card, liked the twist where it's geriatrics off to fight for humanity instead of children.

I especially enjoyed the description of the alien races, very few writers have managed to convey just how alien real aliens would be, not just psychically, but psychologically, logically, and culturally. It reminded me a lot of Star Control II: The Ur-Quan masters.

For those unfamiliar, it's a video game, but it might be a good play if you enjoy Ender's Game and Old Man's War. It's got well over a novel's worth of dialogue with numerous alien species (13 or 14 fully developed, with 6 or 7 just hinted at) ranging from outrageously hilarious (the Spathi, Pkunk), to delightfully macabre (Ilwrath), to truly terrifying (the Orz, and Kzerz-Za), as well as the typical space video-game travel around, explore new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations, discover insidious plots, etc.

It's source code was released a public domain back in 2002, and has since been fully ported to modern systems - you can download it here

va_treehugger
Member # 12028

- posted      Profile for va_treehugger   Email va_treehugger         Edit/Delete Post 
The Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength) by C.S. Lewis

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tivel
Member # 12064

- posted      Profile for Tivel           Edit/Delete Post 
You might like Ray Bradbury's sci-fi stories. Or Unwind by Neal Shusterman. It's for young adults, but it's a good read.
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a couple series that I have read in the past couple months that I really enjoyed.

The first is a scifi trilogy by CS Lewis. It mixes science fiction and religion in an interesting way. The three books are:

Out of the Silent Planet
Perelandra (I might have mispelled this one)
That Hideous Strength

The second series was written by Peter Hamilton. In the UK it was a trilogy, here in the US it was split up into 6 books. It is called the "Nights Dawn" trilogy.

The Reality Dysfunction (1996) Part 1 and 2
The Neutronium Alchemist (1997)Part 1 and 2
The Naked God (1999) Part 1 and 2

It is a space opera and was a really good read as well. Again, there are what seems to be religious themes that are strangely enough resolved in a very scientific way.

Here is a wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night%27s_dawn

Hope this helps.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Keivan Ettefagh:
Dune

[Hat]

I can't believe nobody else suggested this one. It's Star Wars' deeper, more original, and more entertaining older brother.

Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ToraMay
Member # 12080

- posted      Profile for ToraMay           Edit/Delete Post 
Dune was awesome... I LOVE Stephen King's fantasy books... My favorite was The Eyes Of The Dragon... Hubby loved his Three Tower series.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Ive become a huge Albert Camus fan, hes not scifi but fiction. His insight into how morose and apathetic a person can be without any type of ill-will, just not really caring. He won the nobel literature prize in the fifties for the book The Stranger, I suggest the newer translation as the book was written in nineteen forties France.

[ June 25, 2009, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by String:
quote:
Originally posted by Keivan Ettefagh:
Dune

[Hat]

I can't believe nobody else suggested this one. It's Star Wars' deeper, more original, and more entertaining older brother.

Yup. They're both fantasy epics frequently mis-categorized as science fiction. [Wink]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:

The first is a scifi trilogy by CS Lewis. It mixes science fiction and religion in an interesting way. The three books are:

Out of the Silent Planet
That Hideous Strength

IIRC, OSC references this books in his wonderful "How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy" as examples of how to not write science fiction. [Smile]
makaylamullen
Member # 12111

- posted      Profile for makaylamullen           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read Red Prophet? I just got it as an audio book from http://www.audiobooks.net/ and have really been enjoying it so far. It's always great to try another of Scott's works.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:

Out of the Silent Planet
That Hideous Strength

IIRC, OSC references this books in his wonderful "How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy" as examples of how to not write science fiction. [Smile]
That doesn't mean it does not have it's merits [Big Grin]
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

If any of you haven't read 'Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins, now is a good time to read it. The 2nd book in the trilogy 'Catching Fire' is coming out on Sep 1.

Hunger Games is intense, thought provoking, and impossible to put down. You might want to wait until you actually have 'Catching Fire' in your hands, because waiting for CF after finishing HG has been horrendous.

Fat 69
Member # 12147

- posted      Profile for Fat 69           Edit/Delete Post 
What about Gordon R. Dickson's 'Dorsai Series' where the only enemy are ourselves
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.