FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » An Eternal Respect for OSC

Author Topic: An Eternal Respect for OSC
KarlRoyGabriel
Member # 11966

- posted      Profile for KarlRoyGabriel   Email KarlRoyGabriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't plan on this being some uber fan love-letter about Orson Scott Card. Inevitably, I foresee that it will become one, but I felt an intense desire to thank him personally.

I don't like coming Anon either, which is why I made a new username specifically to do this.

But, I hope Mr. Card reads this himself, because I'd rather not write to those who write about him, I'm writing to him, not necessarily to strike up a conversation with him, which is always an ulterior motive, if not the most prevalent, but rather to thank him for what his words have done for me, which is of course, what I'm doing, but this is talking to the people who write to him too.

... Yeah.

Dear Mr. Card.

In meeting new people, I find I have to do one of three things. Thank them, Repudiate them, or Help them. Of course, your words aren't new to me, I've read the Ender Series countless times, I've even spoken to you a few times, and you've actually answered me, so you're not really new to me. And I guess that's why you write in the first place. (just a guess)

Now I can't help you in any way, at least, not in my current situation, with my current abilities, with the current potentials in my life. Maybe my words could possibly validate you, if you had some doubt in yourself, but I can't see how that could happen either, but who knows. [Big Grin]

I don't know how I could possibly repudiate you either, since I fully agree with you, or at least, what you've written, which I attribute to being YOU anyway....

But then, this was just a thank you letter anyway. Mr. Card, your words and ideas and thoughts have given light and revealed to me the memories of the constructs of things I have discovered in my own life, in my own wanderings, in my own treatises and extrapolations of God and the world. All of the ideas you've presented that I've heard are a part of me, you have drawn many maps, and I have been to many places, and I have followed some of your maps, and tried to make corrections on a few of them and help other people see them.

No, you're not necessarily the most influential figure in my life, (that goes to whomever it was I talked to last) though certainly at this moment, I write with you in mind, so I guess you are. Mmm, well, I contradict myself, but it's in the contrast of what I write or think that defines myself or what I do.

Heh heh, I'm getting away with myself. There's so much meaning and symbolism in everything everyone does, and you've helped me understand that and find that.

And so, all the Goodness I do in the World can be attributed to you, just as it can be attributed to anyone else who led me to think of what would be Good, but you helped me think of a LOT of it, so thanks.

And thanks to those who helped you understand it all too, but special thanks to you in that you managed to communicate it so thoroughly.

ah'ma go out and do stuff fer 'dis Gawd fella ... Thaynks mayahn. Thaynks.

(On the conversation we might have had before, I believe you were talking with me about the character Will in Wyrms, who had vested within himself the perception of how his Will affected where he went, and that he could choose how to be Will (lol, pun) or rather, Will (lol, more puns) to other people.)

Words are fun Orson Scott Card, thank you for helping me realize that.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In meeting new people, I find I have to do one of three things. Thank them, Repudiate them, or Help them.
Really? You can't just, say, raise a glass?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlRoyGabriel
Member # 11966

- posted      Profile for KarlRoyGabriel   Email KarlRoyGabriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Four things then.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to possess them and steal their Fritos.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What if they don't have Fritos?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
He possesses them, makes them buy Fritos, and then steals them.

[ February 17, 2009, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Ooo! Clever!
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
When I meet new people, I feel the need to purge their eternal souls of the influence of HE who's name must not be spoken.

Richard Simmons, in case you were wondering.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Wouldn't it be "HIM whose?" Or do the grammar errors make HE extra evil?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I think "HE whose" is acceptable.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Ooo! Clever!

Well, that's Scott for you. Always thinkin'.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
...and anyway, EVERYONE'S got Fritos, these days.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlRoyGabriel
Member # 11966

So long as this topic stays alive, I'd just like Mr. Card to see my message to him.
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
...and anyway, EVERYONE'S got Fritos, these days.

and I am the Frito bandito!
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlRoyGabriel:
So long as this topic stays alive, I'd just like Mr. Card to see my message to him.

Has skywriting fallen out of favor?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

Only acceptable insofar as using a single nominative pronoun as the complement of a preposition is generally acceptable (which is not at all).
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Has skywriting fallen out of favor?
Now that would be an expensive message to sky-write!

Or whatever the verb of skywriting is...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:

Only acceptable insofar as using a single nominative pronoun as the complement of a preposition is generally acceptable (which is not at all).
You're missing a comma Jon Boy.

Man I've waited months for this! [Wink]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Prepare to keep waiting, BB.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

No, I'm not, but you're missing two. [Razz]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:

Weren't you the one who told me that was acceptable in casual speech these days?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I don't remember saying that—at least not about that particular construction.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

No, I'm not, but you're missing two. [Razz]
Seriously? I guess I could see how I could take my two statements and place them into one sentence. Is it acceptable to omit a comma before using parentheses?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Uh . . . what? I didn't say anything about combining them into one sentence, and you're not using parentheses anywhere.

Standard practice is to set off interjections and direct addresses with commas, like so:
quote:

You're missing a comma, Jon Boy.

Man, I've waited months for this!

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I don't remember saying that—at least not about that particular construction.

It is more than likely that I recollect incorrectly.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Uh . . . what? I didn't say anything about combining them into one sentence, and you're not using parentheses anywhere.

Standard practice is to set off interjections and direct addresses with commas, like so:
quote:

You're missing a comma, Jon Boy.

Man, I've waited months for this!

I see, that makes sense. What I was asking was in regards to your statement.

quote:
Is a comma not required after the word, "acceptable" in that sentence?

edit: Also, I had a teacher say that when one uses parenthesis or quotation marks, periods and commas must be inside them not out. Is that incorrect?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

A comma is not required before the parenthesis there, because parentheses serve some of the same function as commas. A comma would just be superfluous there. Also, you don't need a comma after "word". [Wink]

Your teacher was mistaken or was at least oversimplifying. If the material inside parentheses is a complete sentence, then it has an initial capital and a period or other final punctuation at the end before the right parenthesis. This also means that the sentence before it must have final punctuation before the left parenthesis, like so:
quote:
This is an example sentence. (This is also an example sentence.)
However, my sentence looked like this:
quote:
This is an example sentence (with some stuff tacked on at the end).
Does that make sense?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, you have a comma splice in your most recent post, BB.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Jon Boy: I see!

Do you do anything in particular if there is a lot of stuff tacked on in the middle of a sentence, inside a parenthesis? For example,

"Commas can be quite confusing (unless you are Jon Boy in which case the rules and regulations governing their use is quite obvious) for most people."

quote:
Also, you don't need a comma after "word".
Force of habit, that same teacher instructed me to place a comma before using quotation marks. Are commas incorrectly placed when found before a quotation?

----

El JT de Spang: I imagine I often place commas amiss in my wording, but what are you talking about specifically?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Jon Boy: I see!

Do you do anything in particular if there is a lot of stuff tacked on in the middle of a sentence, inside a parenthesis? For example,

"Commas can be quite confusing (unless you are Jon Boy in which case the rules and regulations governing their use is quite obvious) for most people."

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but that sentence looks fine to me, except I'd put a comma after "Boy".

quote:
quote:
Also, you don't need a comma after "word".
Force of habit, that same teacher instructed me to place a comma before using quotation marks. Are commas incorrectly placed when found before a quotation?
Generally, you do use a comma before a quotation, unless the quotation is worked into the syntax of the surrounding sentence, as in
quote:
Bob said that Steve was "a colossal idiot".
But if you're just putting quotation marks around a word or title or whatever, it doesn't need commas either before or after it.
quote:
Jon Boy is overly fond of the word "cromulent".
quote:
Jon Boy's favorite song is "Where the Streets Have No Name".

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I was taught that commas and periods go inside quotation marks, like this:

quote:
Jon Boy's favorite song is not "Kinky Boots."
But I never liked that rule, and try to avoid putting things inside quotation marks that aren't part of what I'm quoting. I'll take Jon Boy's last two examples in the preceding post as official approbation of my policy.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Jon Boy: Thanks a bunch.

*slinks off to the shadows waiting for the next opportunity to strike*

Just kidding! Or am I? [Smile]

CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
I was taught that commas and periods go inside quotation marks, like this:

quote:
Jon Boy's favorite song is not "Kinky Boots."
But I never liked that rule, and try to avoid putting things inside quotation marks that aren't part of what I'm quoting.
Same here. My professors have pointed this out to me in my papers so now I have to consciously put the period inside the quotation marks for them. From what I've heard, American English puts commas and periods inside quotations but British English has the placement based more on logic. That coupled with the spelling differences between Englishes has confused me for life.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I see, that makes sense.

A comma splice is two independent clauses joined by a comma without a coordinating conjunction (and, or, for, but, et al.). It's a type of run on sentences.

Basically, you have two sentences here, and you're using a comma to make one run-on sentence.

You would just say: I see. That makes sense.
Or: I see; that makes sense.
Or: I see, and that makes sense.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by CRash:
From what I've heard, American English puts commas and periods inside quotations but British English has the placement based more on logic.

That's fairly accurate.

However, there is a small but growing movement to free the commas and periods from unjust quotation mark imprisonment. Join us!

CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Free the punctuation marks! Viva la revolución!

(< .,.,.,.,.,

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Olé!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I believe you mean "ˇOlé!"
rivka
Member # 4859

Sure. Why not?
Fremen
Member # 11984

- posted      Profile for Fremen           Edit/Delete Post 
How often does OSC swing by anyways?

Personally, I never understood why grammar was (or is, I guess) so important on mediums such as the internet. As long as one's message is coherent, I don't think it matters.

Am I the only one who is bored of arguing about comma use?

(While I type this, I bet my English teacher is sitting in some random Borders or Barnes and Nobles, scowling at my latest essay, adding commas all over the place)

Posts: 28 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Personally, I never understood why grammar was (or is, I guess) so important on mediums such as the internet.
Three reasons:

1) Because it CAN be an issue of clarity, even if the original poster doesn't realize it.
2) Some people find the English language beautiful, and regard its misuse as a sort of vandalism.
3) Because some people believe that since the only form of communication on the Internet is written communication, that written communication should be carefully done in a way that demonstrates respect for the reader. And that respect, in turn, demands that at least some attention to presentation be paid.

rivka
Member # 4859

Well said, Tom.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Originally posted by Fremen:
Am I the only one who is bored of arguing about comma use?

The beauty of discussion boards (such as these) is that, if you aren't interested in what's being talked about, you're free to let your fingers do the walking to somewhere else.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.