FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Favorite Character in Ender series (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite Character in Ender series
oscfan
Member # 12170

- posted      Profile for oscfan           Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of the most popular choices, but definitely Peter. His nastiness is actually kind of funny sometimes and it's true that he was misunderstood a lot during his childhood.
quote:
Originally posted by dictatorlv44:
[QUOTE]

At the end of Ender's Game, you hear Peter explain himself, that he was jealous that Ender loved Valentine so much, and just from the fact that Peter was such a bully, you can see that all his actions were out of jealousy towards Ender and Valentine. Also, a feeling of not being good enough, as he was the first born, but he was rejected from Battle school because he was too aggressive or violent. This made him insecure, and always guess himself. The fact that they deemed him violent made him violent.

Amen to that.

On a side note, I also thought Dink was awesome, especially in Shadow of the Giant, and I can relate to Olhado cuz I'm a middle child. For some reason I DON'T like Valentine because I don't think she's as nice as everybody says, except in Ender's Game.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pluta Demoske
Member # 12174

- posted      Profile for Pluta Demoske   Email Pluta Demoske         Edit/Delete Post 
Bean, Ender, and Peter, in that order.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
louismagoo
Member # 12175

- posted      Profile for louismagoo           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite characters are John Paul and Teresa Wiggin. They are the most believable and "normal" major characters, always taking a back seat, never pushing any grand agenda (cough, Graff, cough), always promoting the decency of their children. They are brilliant and altruistic in understandable ways that give their characters more depth.

Side note: Least favorite character: Virlomi. Playing at being a goddess and embracing a culture primarily to prey on others doesn't pan well with me.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oscfan
Member # 12170

- posted      Profile for oscfan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by louismagoo:

Side note: Least favorite character: Virlomi. Playing at being a goddess and embracing a culture primarily to prey on others doesn't pan well with me.

at least she got what she deserved when peter rejected her lol
Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Bean, Val, Rooter.

In that order.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I like Virlomi.

My favorites are Olhado and Qing-jao.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWAAL
Member # 12182

- posted      Profile for JWAAL   Email JWAAL         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter is my favorite. I love the complexity. Some characters are good and some characters are bad. Peter is neither and both.

I just read one of his short stories today. I think it was called A Thousand Deaths. While there isn't room for much character development, the character who suffers these deaths I romanticized. He stood up to tyranny in a way only possible through science fiction.

For those interested the story is in "Maps in a Mirror"

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.