FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » enchantment

Author Topic: enchantment
EndertheJedi
Member # 7889

- posted      Profile for EndertheJedi   Email EndertheJedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was the best written fairy tale adaptation I ever read and thought it would be really cool if He wrote a sequel.

Each one of their children could be a different one of the princes or princesses in other classic fairy tale stories.
I catn remeber their names right now but there were four of them so which four similar formattede classic could be adapted to fit each one and fit in with the world created by enchantment possibly even revealing more about how magic works or Katalina's and Ivan's heritage.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really like that idea. One of the things I like about OSC is how he keeps coming up with interesting new characters and settings, so if he was going to write another fairy tale story, I would rather he start from scratch, and not try to force his existing characters/setting into a different story.
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought this was the best written fairy tale adaptation I ever read and thought it would be really cool if He wrote a sequel.
I'm sure OSC would be flattered, but I don't think he'd agree that he's God.

I for one would love to hear more about Ivan and Katerina's children. It would be cool to see how they grew up in two worlds.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
It might work as a good short story... but a whole new novel might be overdoing it.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K_heron
Member # 8893

- posted      Profile for K_heron           Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see him write a sequel; I think he could definitely pull it off without stretching it too thin. It would also be interesting to see him explore the same vein with other fairytales.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
I for one would love to hear more about Ivan and Katerina's children. It would be cool to see how they grew up in two worlds.

That could be a great story. But I would want him to write it without feeling as though he has to tie himself to an existing fairy tale. If he does that, the setting, the plot and the characters are all somewhat pre-defined. He'd have more room for creativity if he didn't have a fairy tale forcing the direction of the story.
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K_heron
Member # 8893

- posted      Profile for K_heron           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeorge:
quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:

That could be a great story. But I would want him to write it without feeling as though he has to tie himself to an existing fairy tale. If he does that, the setting, the plot and the characters are all somewhat pre-defined. He'd have more room for creativity if he didn't have a fairy tale forcing the direction of the story.
I agree on both points. As interesting as it would be to to read another fairy-tale renditon, or a novel about the story of Ivan and Katerina's children, I don't think that it would work to try to bundle both concepts together in the same novel.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
lol.... I'm not sure Card could write everything people want him to write even if he could put out a novel a month for the rest of his life!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.