FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Authorized Ender Companion?

Author Topic: The Authorized Ender Companion?
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know what this is about? I saw it on the front page. There's not much info on Amazon about it.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
It's kind of an encyclopedia of terms, people, etc. in the Ender's Game Universe (including all the novels and short stories).

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's been in the works for some time. OSC even talks about it in the afterword of Ender in Exile. I was so excited when I saw it on the front page, but then I saw the release date... November is like a million years away! [Cry]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JayDarling
Member # 12023

- posted      Profile for JayDarling   Email JayDarling         Edit/Delete Post 
Just like most others, I'm excited for this companion. I just started reading the Ender books in late March, and I've already finished lotz of them. Most significantly, Ender Game itself, all the shadow books, and most recently (this morning), Ender in Exile. I noticed this site and was like ohemgee, Orson has a website. I was literally jumping around like a nut. My only qualm when it comes to this book is that I know I would be done all the short stories, all the books, everything that has anything to do with the Ender universe. The question that often comes to my mind is if I would still be interested. I mean I looked over the Afterword quickly, like I do most books. For a while, I thought that the Kung Fu Panda guy was going to write the book, then I clarified the author of the companion. Although this had nothing to do with anything, I just liked to share it. Had nowhere else to put it ;D
Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry O'Brien
Member # 12014

- posted      Profile for Terry O'Brien   Email Terry O'Brien         Edit/Delete Post 
I was lucky enough to have a brief essay I wrote to Hatrack included in the companion. I found this out THE DAY AFTER Mr. Card agreed to blurb my own book, which came out last June. Needless to say, was a pretty dizzy weekend.

Now, I AM NOT TRYING to sell anyone anything (unless you're so inclined, for which I thank you), but his blurb is up on the Amazon link to my book;

http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Oke-Other-Spooky-Cape-Tales/dp/0979905125/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222177132&sr=8-1

It's quite funny.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Ain't It Cool News reviews the Ender Companion

Sounds like there's a lot of cool stuff in there including blueprints of battleschool and the inside scoop on the various EG screenplays that have been written over the years.

In stores in just two weeks.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naledge
Member # 392

- posted      Profile for naledge   Email naledge         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a copy yesterday and I am reading through it. I read through the "Technology" part
of the book and I am working my way through the rest.

Initial comments:

The pictures of the time lines and the the family tree should have been larger. I don't wear glasses and I can read some really fine print, but that was too small.

Steve Sywak, has done a magnificent job trying to explain the possibilities of technology. Although it might not be considered "authoriative" by this book, I hope that the Marvel artists and movie designers do lean more toward Steve's Vision of the Battle School.

Lastly, on a selfish but informative note, know that I drew the picture of the Battle School on page 375. I drew it based off of Steve's concept and he included it in his Ender's Game Technology presentation that he made at EnderCon in 2002.

I was happily surprised to see it included in the book [Smile]

-nal aka: Darian Robbins

Posts: 155 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I started reading at the front. It's a lot like a mythology encyclopedia, if you've ever used one of those. I hadn't ever read Teacher's Pest, so I could look up the entry on Theresa Wiggin and get the overview on that.

The chapter on the movie script was pretty engaging. I wonder how they are treating the end now. I prefer it to be Ender's game oriented, rather than Ender's Shadow but that's just me. I think the action can be shown in Ender's dreams.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Darian,

Just got my copy tonight. Barely had time to look through it yet.

But hopefully, seeing your artwork shouldn't be TOO MUCH of a surprise, since I thought I got your permission back in January?!?

*I* was surprised that you weren't attributed! (I told them where I got it--gave them your name, etc. We're even, maybe, since I don't get any mention in the comic!)*

But...we're IN!

Now I just have to wait for the guys at ILM to call me to ask me the tough questions...

Boothby...aka Steve Sywak...aka Enter the Dragon

* This is not meant to be ungrateful in the least--I am VERY grateful. It's 1:45 in the morning, and I'm trying to be funny....

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
It's only like 12 bucks right now on Amazon

http://bit.ly/ab1dhN

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.