FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Need some suggestions for OSC short stories

Author Topic: Need some suggestions for OSC short stories
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm examining the treatment of families and children in the works of OSC for a research paper. Which short stories (other than Enders Game....) deal with family structure and the value of children (either good or bad). I have read so many but am having a hard time remember which short story is which!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Eumenides in the fourth floor lavatory.

*whistles nonchalantly*

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Gert Fram is a good one. so is Billy's Box. I think you can find them on lds.org if you search for Byron Walley (an OSC sudonym) You can also find I think Mom and Dad are Going Crazy. They all have a family element.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

Euminides - yes that would add an interesting um, flavor, to my research paper [Evil Laugh] (one of the few I've read that even the title has stuck in my ever forgetful head!)

Thanks Rodger - I'm going to check those out.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
The changed man and the king of words - definitely this one

Quietus - children in family pivital to this one

Lost Boys - was a short story before it was a novel

a couple of the Folk of the Fringe stories feature families, though the children aren't the main characters, just mention of how they're treated

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

I am definitely using Lost Boys in novel form as a source. I'll have to look at the Folk of the Fringe stories. Thanks!
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Quietus as probably the story where children are the most crucial.

Lost Boys is also good, though the short story is, in some ways, even creepier than the novel.

I also think Saint Amy's Tale (I think that's the title, but I'm not positive) deals with family in an interesting way.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.