FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender's Game Mistake?

Author Topic: Ender's Game Mistake?
Tivel
Member # 12064

- posted      Profile for Tivel           Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading Ender's Game aloud to my students and noticed an oddity. In chapter eleven, it mentions the soldiers coming out of the door quickly and says that "everyone had learned the wrong lesson from Bonzo's misuse of Ender" (Card 177). Wasn't it Rose the Nose who misused Ender and pushed him out early, and that's when the game changed? Am I just misinterpreting that? What do you guys think?
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Might have been an error in an early edition that you have? It was always Bonzo in any version I read, IIRC.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tivel
Member # 12064

- posted      Profile for Tivel           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I wrote too obscurely. Ender was in Rose's army and was about to fight for the first time in a toon and Rose pulled him up and said for him to go out as soon as the door opened. Ender came out and did so much damage that from then on, everyone came out of the gate early instead of assessing the situation for 10-15 sec. Isn't that what this passage should be referring to?
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to check my edition of the book. I always thought it was Bonzo who sent him out like that becuz he hated that he'd gotten stuck with a launchie in his army. That's how I recall it, but I'll find my book and double check over the weekend.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
Tivel is right in that Rose is the one that sent Ender to attack the enemy's gate alone and early, Bonzo never at anytime gave Ender permission to fire his weapon. When Rose found that out and that Ender had been disobaying orders when he saved Bonzo from a loss, he was mad and ordered Ender to assult the enemy gate alone at the start of the next battle.

Why it might have been a small error it's one that can be accounted to Ender's Perspective. While Rose's order was the direct cause it's possible that Ender considers Bonzo's order as the root cause. After all Bonzo misused Ender more then Rose and then lied to Rose about it to get rid of him.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.