FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Empire game announced!!!

Author Topic: Empire game announced!!!
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if this has been posted yet or not, but Chair announced a new Xbox Live game, and its not Ender's Game!

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3174482

Its based on the Empire series! The early previews are positive, so hopefully it will turn out well! I do find it interesting that they used an illustration from the Ender's Game comic. It got my attention!

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the live feed and was bummed because of the name but looks like it will be awesome and really fun.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Based on the world presented in Orson Scott Card's novel Empire, where present-day America faces imminent civil war, Shadow Complex focuses on a young couple away on a camping trip. When the Nathan Drake look-alike hero goes off to fetch a backpack that rolled off a ledge, he finds an underground cavern leading to an ominous (some may say shadowy) complex. Then he finds out that in his short absence, the scary, armored soldiers who work there have have kidnapped his girlfriend. What follows is an adventure through the facility, mixed with equal parts stealth and action. The humongous area maps and the game's 2D plane illicit a strong comparison to the original Metroid games, which becomes even more evident as the hero gains new weapons and increasingly enhanced power-armor.
Look, I'm not even going to provide my own individual interpretation of this chunk of text. I am going to provide this to game industry analysts and gamers without any attachment or judgment from me, and see what they say. I know what the response is going to be, unfortunately.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That plot synopsis reads like someone trying to be the opposite of innovative. Like they are trying to make a flat, done-to-death plot on purpose. Let me guess, the boyfriend is actually conveniently an unbelievably awesome soldier and there are some SHAAADOWYYY PAAASTS involved ooooOoOooohhh
quote:
I'm not a good impartial analyst because I know about Empire and I know about the ham-fisted political allegory and liberal vs. conservative representation that is the core of that plot. That said, if one puts those issues entirely aside, this is still a bad plot. It reads like an Onion parody of a video game plot.
quote:
I see two options here: One is that the indirectly reported synopsis of the plot is actually selling it incredibly short and the game's plot is not actually that dumb. If not, we have the second option: the game's writer must be allowed the option to atone for his dishonor through ritual suicide.

[ June 03, 2009, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Samprimary ]

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
From the video clips I saw, it certainly seems like there's a lot more to the plot than is hinted at by the synopsis.

(I'm not enthused by the 'Military Son' theme, but this game isn't geared toward me.)

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.