FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Can/Would/Could OSC marry us?

Author Topic: Can/Would/Could OSC marry us?
stef
Member # 12155

- posted      Profile for stef           Edit/Delete Post 
Me and my fiance love his stuff and we want to try to find out if OSC would marry us. I tried looking around to find maybe a 'bookings' number, but couldn't find anything. Any ideas on how to ask him?
Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kassyopeia
Member # 12110

- posted      Profile for kassyopeia           Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is his literary agent. They probably have nothing to do with organizing his public appearances unless directly related to his work, but I'd imagine they know who to contact. The question is if they'll tell you.

[ August 12, 2009, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: kassyopeia ]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stef
Member # 12155

Awesome! I'm going to contact them now. I'll post my findings asap. Thanks so much!!!
Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Better yet, try the contact link.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kassyopeia
Member # 12110

- posted      Profile for kassyopeia           Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, the most likely result of submitting any kind of unusual request via a "contact us" web form is a standard "thank you for your interest" reply and no follow-up. Messages sent to individuals are often more successful, maybe because they're less easy for the recipient to ignore.

But this site may be an excpetion and/or I may just be prejudiced. [Smile]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by kassyopeia:
In my experience, the most likely result of submitting any kind of unusual request via a "contact us" web form is a standard "thank you for your interest" reply and no follow-up.

That is certainly not my experience here.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stef
Member # 12155

Thanks, Rivka. I have submitted an email here as well, but thought it was more for the readers as opposed to a'booking' of some kind. Covering all my bases. Thanks for the contact idea. It's definitely worth a try! [Smile]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by kassyopeia:
In my experience, the most likely result of submitting any kind of unusual request via a "contact us" web form is a standard "thank you for your interest" reply and no follow-up.

That is certainly not my experience here.
Nor mine.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
There is this little thing about having the authority to preform a marriage ceremony. He ain't got it.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Picky, picky. [Wink]
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he could quickly be called as a bishop then he would have the authority, wouldn't he?
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kacard:
There is this little thing about having the authority to preform a marriage ceremony. He ain't got it.

Technically, it doesn't take much to get ordained on the Internet. A friend of mine did that for their wedding.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're comfortable doing that.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Or in certain states (like MA), you don't need to be ordained at all, but can get state authorization for temporary marrying rights, if the parties involved don't care for a particularly religious wedding, or, in the case of my wedding, the minister lived out of state and was retired for quite a few years, so he needed to restore his previous legal ability.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC can't marry you, he's already married.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
quote:
Originally posted by kacard:

Technically, it doesn't take much to get ordained on the Internet. A friend of mine did that for their wedding.
I get the impression that this sort of ordination is rather frowned upon by many devout members of various religious organizations. The idea being that it makes light of the idea of marriage and that the marriage is not just a contract between two people and their government, but also a solemn vow between two people and their God.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.