FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » So thankful

Author Topic: So thankful
Bricks-N-Sandwiches
Member # 5603

- posted      Profile for Bricks-N-Sandwiches   Email Bricks-N-Sandwiches         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was young I was fortunate enough to find OSC's literature. Now I am an adult (mostly) I have a 9 year old of my own and I am sharing Ender's Game with her. Orson I'm sure you see this all the time but...Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you for your self aware writing your accessibility without having to dumb down your works knowing that they are for a young crowd.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluedaggers
Member # 12199

- posted      Profile for bluedaggers           Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers from the fourth books from both the series.

I seem to remember Bean not wanting his children to be taught military strategy. He wanted them to learn freely, and probably focus on curing themselves of their disease. Also the idea of them being the Descoladoers isnt probable. The Descoladoers if you recall spoke through manufacturing virus's and likely had no capabilities of understanding our language. This wouldn't add up with them being Bean's decendents despite the loose possibility of the timestream.

I belive the next book will have Bean's children working with Peter/Ender and his group to both aid in communicating with the Descoladoers and in uniting the 100 worlds much like the original Peter and Bean united Earth. Also with Janes ability to take them outside and being able to fabricate anything it seems impossible that Bean's children will not be cured of the giant future they're cursed to due to Anton's Key.

And to the many statements on faster than light travel being a huge military advantage isnt true. Jane can only handle the one ship now, and it cannot contain too many people or she may not be able to remember the strains and they may forever be stuck "outside" The main advatage FTLT gives Peter and them is the surprise of their arrival and the ability to speak to leaders face to face. Even if war breaks out Peter would unlikely be alive to see the first battle due to the time the ships would take to meet and the improbability to travel in anything but Jane's FTLT.

Also Peter isn't exactly Ender's son, he's more of Ender reborn. Now he's Ender the way Ender should have been before being tainted by the bugger wars and battle school. Also if Peter contains both Enders empathy and destructive ability he'd be the greatest Leader in any history, he'd be a great Hegemon to the 100 worlds

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
wrong thread?
Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.