FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Alvin foresaw Tolkien??

Author Topic: Alvin foresaw Tolkien??
Blind Jasper
Member # 12205

- posted      Profile for Blind Jasper           Edit/Delete Post 
In reading Alvin Journeyman again I found something that I hadnt realized the first 20 times I read it. OSC references the Lord of the Rings. Is this common knowledge?

Its when Alvin and Arthur sing the song in jail and he sings the verse;

Alone with my imagining
I dreamt the darkest dream,
Of tiny men, a spider's sting,
And in a land of smoke and steam
An evil golden ring.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
This is what's known in literature circles as a "shout-out."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is this common knowledge?

Around here, yes. [Smile]

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004978;p=0&r=nfx

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blind Jasper
Member # 12205

I'm new to the forum, sorry. I was just reading it on my lunch break and it was one of those clouds open up and a ray of sun hits you moments.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blind Jasper
Member # 12205

While we're on the topic, any word on when the last book is coming out?
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but it's probably be worth the wait.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blind Jasper
Member # 12205

I think we can all agree on that.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While we're on the topic, any word on when the last book is coming out?
OSC often doesn't let it be known what he's working on until it's finished.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blind Jasper
Member # 12205

That sneaky pete (wiggin).
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom... the reading teacher in me is has to correct you. We actually call that an allusion.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beatnix19:
the reading teacher in me is has to correct you.

Would this be an example of Davidson's Law? [Smile]
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I tipped my hat to Tolkien for the debt that all fantasists owe to him by having a character - was it Alvin? - dream a dream that was obviously a scene from Lord of the Rings. I meant it as a joke between me and my readers, but some have unfortunately sought to reconcile the two works as if I were asserting that they take place in the same fictional universe. I was not.
http://www.hatrack.com/writingclass/lessons/1999-12-20.shtml
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I get it, alvin's singing Led Zepplin
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.