FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Startling Coincidence: William Blake

Author Topic: Startling Coincidence: William Blake
themooncalf
Member # 12277

- posted      Profile for themooncalf           Edit/Delete Post 
A week ago, I was introduced to William Blake in my British Literature Survey class. We studied Blake's Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience, as well as The Marriage of Heaven and Hell. I particularly enjoyed Proverbs of Hell. Having analyzed these works, everyone in my class now has a thorough understanding of Blake's worldview.

Fast forward to last night. I happened to be visiting my parents, and decided to pilfer a few books from my mother's library. It contains well over 5,000 books, most of which I haven't read. I realized that The Tales of Alvin Maker is the only Orson Scott Card series that I've never read (very odd), so I grabbed Seventh Son and Red Prophet to start with.

Tonight I was reading Seventh Son, when I was introduced to Taleswapper. The mention of Proverbs of Hell really made me perk up - and as I read the two proverbs mentioned first, I realized that this must be referring to William Blake's works. The reference to Taleswapper as Bill Blake assured me that this was all intentional.

I'm having a hard time processing this odd coincidence, not being one to believe in fate. Still; what are the odds, right?

Does anyone know why Orson Scott Card decided to include William Blake in this book, and why he specifically chose to involve The Garden of Love and Sick Rose? I'm not sure if there are more poems from Blake's collection, I haven't read any further. If there are, I'd love to know why he chose them too.

A quick Google search for "Orson Scott Card Seventh Son William Blake" wasn't very helpful, so I figured coming here might reveal more. Thank you for any information you can provide me with [Smile]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how far you are in the series, but the Alvin Maker series incorporates quite a few figures from history in an 'alternate universe' fashion. I do not know if Mr. Card had any more thought behind including William Blake than he did many other historical figures in the series, other than, perhaps, his familiarity with and (I presume) appreciation of his body of work.

One of my favorite things about reading the Alvin Maker series was reading about the fictional versions of some of these people. I had heard of many of them, at least in passing, but after reading Maker, I was compelled to research more into the REAL lives (insofar as we can know) of these people.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
One of my favorite things about reading the Alvin Maker series was reading about the fictional versions of some of these people. I had heard of many of them, at least in passing, but after reading Maker, I was compelled to research more into the REAL lives (insofar as we can know) of these people.

Ditto!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I will also concur with said statements! I thought William Henry Harrison's story was fascinating.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A week ago, I was introduced to William Blake in my British Literature Survey class.
What was he like in person?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing kind of musty.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.