FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » is enchantment a romance novel?

Author Topic: is enchantment a romance novel?
willthesane
Member # 11754

- posted      Profile for willthesane           Edit/Delete Post 
just a question that came up just prior to math class today. i mentioned that i had at one point read a romance novel(i am male) and the woman i was talking to asked me if i was talking about enchantment.

i don't view enchantment as a romance novel though. more fantasy than romance.

in case anyone is curious i viewed "woman of destiny" to be a romance novel. found a copy in a used bookstore in sometown in texas, and read it on the drive to florida.

i guess i'm rambling. but is enchantment a romance novel?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a romance in it.

And it's a novel.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
It also happens to have fantasy in it.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

So it must be a fantastic romance novel!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd call it a Fantasy with romance, but not a romance singularly by definition.
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall any mention of throbbing. I don't have an especially good memory, though.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
I don't recall any mention of throbbing.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, three eye-rollings. It's a new best!

Frankly, romance (and romance-fantasy, and gothic-romance-fantasy) have so willingly segregated themselves as subgenres that it's difficult for me to identify something as "a romance" unless the work or author chooses to so self-identify.

I think Enchantment is a fantasy with a love story in it. It's quite important to the story and the characters, but it's not the case that the majority of the other characters and plot elements revolve around either making that love story happen or trying to prevent it from happen to escalate romantic tension. So I wouldn't call it a romance with regard to how the term is usually identified in the present day. It is a very pleasant fantasy story with a rather well written romantic plot element.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
Ooh, three eye-rollings. It's a new best!

[Razz]

Are you aware that there is an entire sub-genre of romance novels called "sweets", in which the most intimate contact that happens is a chaste kiss or two?

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
So it must be a fantastic romance novel!

Either that or a romantic fantasy novel [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

But that loses the whole wordplay.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Are you aware that there is an entire sub-genre of romance novels called "sweets", in which the most intimate contact that happens is a chaste kiss or two?

I wasn't. That's interesting. But that doesn't really distinguish from the definition of romance that I described (which did not, I will note, include "throbbing".)
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Not the second time. [Wink]
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you mix us up? (Sterling and me.)
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.