FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Dust

Author Topic: Dust
mommy1
Member # 12348

- posted      Profile for mommy1           Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading Dust in Keeper of Dreams. I liked it. I think everyone who liked it should write in and say so. Mr. Card doesn't think it was very good but I disagree. It was a fun, cute, little story and I really enjoyed it.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear that! I've always resented my bad memory, however, for writing a climax that wasn't far enough away from a bit that Lewis used in one of the Narnia books ...

My dissatisfaction mostly comes from the fact that I just didn't develop the world enough. Too much free association (including inadvertent imitation) and not enough analysis and rigorous deep creation.

But as a Christmas greeting (which is what it was intended as, originally) I'd like to think that it was fun and perhaps pleasing at some level. And so your response makes me feel very good!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
August
Member # 12307

- posted      Profile for August   Email August         Edit/Delete Post 
I often reread Keeper of Dreams. While it isn't my favorite story, I have always had a special fondness for Dust, mainly because it's so imaginative and whimsical. I love when Enoch drinks from the fountain of wisdom, and sees that his grief will one day come to an end. That meant a lot to me when I first read it, and still does. And the ending was still playful, but in a wistful, growing-up way. And that was how I thought it should be; drinking the elixir of love, growing up with an unspoken decision. It emphasized their maturation. Their acknowledgement just seemed right.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommy1
Member # 12348

- posted      Profile for mommy1           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I am recommending Keeper of Dreams to any one who loves Orson Scott Card. It has a lot of really interesting stories and they are all so very different. You get a taste of a lot more of what Orson Scott Card can bring to literature and I really enjoyed that.
As an LDS person I especially thought his depictions of our culture were spot on without being abrasive or threatening.
It really is a great compilation of stories.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Mommy1--

OSC is a Mormon, too.

[Smile]

Link to some of his Mo-centric articles

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scooter
Member # 6915

- posted      Profile for Scooter   Email Scooter         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughters enjoyed me reading it to them (pre-teen age)--was fun to do.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.