FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Huge lot of OSC books for sale

Author Topic: Huge lot of OSC books for sale
Random
Member # 12419

- posted      Profile for Random           Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone knows where the best place is to find someone interested in purchasing an almost complete set of all Orson Scott Card books, all signed first edition hardcovers, please let me know. I would hate to sell these piecemeal on ebay as I have been collecting them for decades- I would rather sell them to a fan who would really enjoy them. I have 29 books (2 duplicates.) Most in perfect condition. Thanks.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wings077
Member # 12420

- posted      Profile for wings077           Edit/Delete Post 
are you selling them all as a set? Or would you be willing to sell them individually?
Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

- posted      Profile for Rawrain   Email Rawrain         Edit/Delete Post 
wings joined right after Random .-. weird

TRAP?

Provide more information about your Card book collection....

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
Rawrain joined right before Random and wings --

trap within a trap?

[Smile]

Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

Not really /: those 2 up there joined right after eachother on the same day; I came days before and since then 4 other people registered = less a coincidence and I am also active here~kidna so it's even less of a coincidence;

I also wanna know what books of Cards these are ^-^

Edit:
http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=057672;p=0&r=nfx

he posted in another section too /: looks like a trap...

[ November 09, 2010, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Rawrain ]

Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Random
Member # 12419

All right, all right. I am not a spy! or a trap!

That said, here's the deal. I do not know who those people are that joined after me. I am a legit collector, I have just been out of the loop for a long time so I thought I would come on here. I do have the books, and they are all legitimate. Like I said, I have collected OSC books for a VERY long time (after I fell in love with Ender's Game.) I was hoping to find someone who would really enjoy them as opposed to someone on ebay.

I have a very large library but unfortunately, as I'm moving to a more humble abode, I need to sell some of them. This would include my OSC library.

Here is a link to a picture of my books:
hxxp://www.randomwoodworking.com/Images/CardBooks.JPG

Please forgive the quality of the photograph as I'm not tall enough to take a proper photo. You can also check out my site there (I am a woodworker) and see I am legit. I would prefer to sell them as a lot, as I really don't want to be stuck with a bunch left over. The duplicates (as you can see in the photo) are Alvin Journeyman and Folk of the Fringe. I would not charge for these. I can provide a complete list to anyone interested, including condition etc. I will tell you they are in extremely good condition, all signed and all first edition (at least I'm almost positive about edition, but I will provide this as well.) I stood in line MANY times at Card signings getting all of these signed over the years. Trust me, I got a lot of dirty looks from people in line.

If someone is interested I would be happy to use a third party as an arbiter, provide insurance or money back if these are not what I say they are. Or any other method someone want's to suggest to make it legit. If no one is interested, so be it, I will list on ebay.

I understand everyone's apprehension, but I am simply a book lover who wants to sell these to someone who would appreciate them.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously doubt I could afford to purchase the whole collection but there were a few I was interested in. Mainly Lost Boys, Enchantment, and Ender's War (I didn't see a copy of Speaker for the Dead on its own.)

If there are enough people interested, it may be easier to sell small sets rather than the whole collection at once.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wings077
Member # 12420

ha ha no trap....lol i was just interested, and I've never had an account here before, so I joined to ask about the books. lol I didn' expect everyone to be so worried about some one selling OSC books on an OSC forum...the thought of it being a trap actually never occured to me
Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wings077
Member # 12420

and about the books Random, I would also be interested in purchasing some of them, but like Shanna I don't think I'd be able to afford the whole set... but if you do decide to sell them seperatly I would be interested [Smile] ...and sorry for raising suspicion about you.
Random
Member # 12419

No worries. I understand the suspicion. It almost seems to good to be true (and it usually is!) So, do you think it would be best to sell on ebay as a set, or is there some place I'm not thinking of? If I have to, I will sell them piecemeal, although that is A LOT of work.
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if any other good auction sites besides eBay. It's so popular that it's the place where you'll get the most traffic. There are a few used book selling websites (no particular names come to mind) but again they are smaller in regards to visibilty.

Have you done any pricing on eBay? I didn't see any high bids for other individual signed books unless they were sniped and all the high bids came in the final section. OSC is more generous with signings than most authors so that may affect demand. I think there is an option to view closed auctions but it's been awhile since I've used eBay. There are alot of Buy Now sales for signed books but that may or may not be an option depending on how quickly you want to get rid of them.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

I think Amazon and eBay would be best to sell on .-.
KlawinEagle
Member # 7274

- posted      Profile for KlawinEagle   Email KlawinEagle         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be interested in all the books. I am a huge fan, and I already have a lot of those books, but they are different editions and such. Let me know a price on all of them, would be a good Xmas gift from my wife, lol. They would look good with all of our books in our library/computer room.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Random
Member # 12419

KlawinEagle, email me at "RandomATrandomwoodworkingDOTcom" and we will talk.

And thank you everyone else. I think I will probably list them on eBay.

Random
Member # 12419

So, they are up on eBay!

If anyone is interested, here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160507531757&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Your starting price is $33 per used book? I'll be surprised if you have any takers.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahah... so this is just greed.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Incidentally, $60 shipping *plus* $22 for boxes? Where are you buying your boxes??
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

I payed $30 (for tax reasons /:) for a library membership, and read all of OSC Ender and Shadow books and I could have easily have read all of his other books aswell, it would have been free to do this, but I don't live in the area of the library so they had to charge me taxes.....
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What does a $30/year library membership have to do with anything?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The point that he's trying to make would have been made by most people by saying "I could read all of those for free at the library!" But he probably, like myself, has to pay money for a library membership since he lives outside of the municipality whose taxes fund the library.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wings077
Member # 12420

wow...the price seems a little steep...still no chance of these being sold individually?
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
The point that he's trying to make would have been made by most people by saying "I could read all of those for free at the library!" But he probably, like myself, has to pay money for a library membership since he lives outside of the municipality whose taxes fund the library.

Moot anyway. These are being sold as collector's items. Anybody with half a brain could get a library card, or easily pirate all these books online for free. Besides, if you have a really crappy local library like mine in the states was, you can't rely on them to have that much- but then again, my library system had larger collections in other cities- you just had to drive 20 minutes.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Moot anyway. These are being sold as collector's items.
But they're not really. At least, not much. Very few of these books are difficult to get, and OSC does so many signings that his signature doesn't really add any value to the books.
Rawrain
Member # 12414

It's what's inside the book that matters.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Moot anyway. These are being sold as collector's items.
But they're not really. At least, not much. Very few of these books are difficult to get, and OSC does so many signings that his signature doesn't really add any value to the books.
Just how they're being sold, based on pricing- I'm not saying he *should* sell them this way, he just is.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.