FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC's family heritage

Author Topic: OSC's family heritage
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
So I don't know if any of you have discovered this, but when I was on wikipedia yesterday, I discovered that OSC is actually a descendant of Briggum Young, which I thought was just amazing.

For those who don't know, Young was the second leader of the Mormon church after Joseph Smith and is responsible for a lot of the expansion that the religion experienced in those early days. He also had a TON of wives and like 40 or 50 kids, which is just incredible. I guess with that many children it's no surprise that one of his descendants would become famous. I'm just surprised he's a well known science fiction writer. A university was also named after Young, and it is currently where OSC teaches his writing classes.

Now, I'm not Mormon, but I still think it is pretty amazing. The way hisory is sometimes connected to the things we read and the people alive today. I just find that interesting.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly1101
Member # 12562

- posted      Profile for Kelly1101           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's "Brigham" [Smile]

And yeah, that is pretty cool, I never knew that.

Posts: 115 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Card actually teaches at Southern Virginia University not BYU (Unless something has changed and I'm not aware of it). Another one of Young's decedents became a Hall of Fame Quarterback.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
And, Southern Virginia University is NOT affiliated with the LDS church, either, even though it has many LDS faculty and students who attend.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I didn't realize it was SVU. Oh well, still pretty neat ^_^
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Brigham Young had a lot of descendants. Just sayin'.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be a bit of an inside joke about how everyone in the church can trace their lineage through Brigham Young. It's very much untrue today, and I imagine becomes more so daily.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe OSC has taught some creative writing classes at BYU in the past, but it's been a while.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.