FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What to read next?

Author Topic: What to read next?
l3db0
Member # 12577

- posted      Profile for l3db0   Email l3db0         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finishing Ender in Exile. Done with ALL Ender/Bean books. What should I read next? I'm NOT a Christian, if that makes a difference (practice Buddhism). FWIW, totally confused that I can find OSC among the most profound writing in the English language while I disagree with a few of his political premises so completely (esp re sexual orientation). Anyway - where do you recommend I go next??
Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you wanting to read more OSC?

If so:

Pastwatch
Maps in a Mirror
Seventh Son
Red Prophet
Prentice Alvin
Enchantment
Lost Gate
Pathfinder

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly1101
Member # 12562

- posted      Profile for Kelly1101           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm an atheist (and a liberal), still love OSC. So you're not alone there. Good writing is good writing.

Does the religious stuff bother you? I'm a history major and interested in OSC's historical-ish take on Biblical tales, so I liked the Women of Genesis stuff... and apparently the Homecoming Saga was based on the book of Mormon but they are still very entertaining sci-fi books.

But, if it really bugs you, then I'd say:

Worthing Saga
Enchantment
Lost Gate (new one)
Pathfinder (new one)
A Planet Called Treason

Both the new ones are first books in series (which just came out and are awaiting the sequels-- the sequel to Pathfinder is due to come out in November). The rest are stand-alone, and very very good, and very different from each other.

Posts: 115 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you like Ender, reading Worthing Saga. Follow that up with A Planet Called Treason. Those two are good to start with because they are both in the vein of Ender and Bean. Plus, the stories are just fun.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richd
Member # 12520

- posted      Profile for richd           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol, I am glad there are other open-minded people out there. I happen to be Mormon but strongly disagree with political stances of OSC. However, I find so much value in his works I will continue reading them. *Warning, rant ahead* I get so tired of people dismissing his writing b/c they disagree with his opinions. I find most other authors, politically correct as they may be, a total snore because their opinions are the same as current popularly held opinion and have nothing interesting to say.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l3db0
Member # 12577

- posted      Profile for l3db0   Email l3db0         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thanks you guys. Yes I definitely want to continue with OSC. Just needed some recommendations since he's so prolific.
Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished one of my favorite books of his again, Hart's Hope.

It's probably his most obscure book, but it's easily one of his best. Love it.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly1101
Member # 12562

- posted      Profile for Kelly1101           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate that book.
Posts: 115 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hart's Hope is a little too extreme fantasy for me. I can't stand reading those silly names that people come up with. But that's me. I know a few who really liked it, so if you like fantasy give it a shot.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly1101
Member # 12562

I just didn't like the plot points the book depended on, with the child-rape, and then killing babies. It may be a hormonal thing. But I have a tough time with that.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember thinking "Wow, this book is out there, but still a good book." It has been over a decade since I read it though.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved it, but I haven't read it since the early 90s, probably. I should probably give it a reread; I find that I've alomst completely forgotten what happens in it.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Hart's Hope quite a lot. But you're right, Kelly-- it depicts horrible things. I thought the payoff was worth the price.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.