FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What to read next?

Author Topic: What to read next?
l3db0
Member # 12577

- posted      Profile for l3db0   Email l3db0         Edit/Delete Post 
Finishing Ender in Exile. Done with ALL Ender/Bean books. What should I read next? I'm NOT a Christian, if that makes a difference (practice Buddhism). FWIW, totally confused that I can find OSC among the most profound writing in the English language while I disagree with a few of his political premises so completely (esp re sexual orientation). Anyway - where do you recommend I go next??
Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you wanting to read more OSC?

If so:

Pastwatch
Maps in a Mirror
Seventh Son
Red Prophet
Prentice Alvin
Enchantment
Lost Gate
Pathfinder

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly1101
Member # 12562

- posted      Profile for Kelly1101           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an atheist (and a liberal), still love OSC. So you're not alone there. Good writing is good writing.

Does the religious stuff bother you? I'm a history major and interested in OSC's historical-ish take on Biblical tales, so I liked the Women of Genesis stuff... and apparently the Homecoming Saga was based on the book of Mormon but they are still very entertaining sci-fi books.

But, if it really bugs you, then I'd say:

Worthing Saga
Enchantment
Lost Gate (new one)
Pathfinder (new one)
A Planet Called Treason

Both the new ones are first books in series (which just came out and are awaiting the sequels-- the sequel to Pathfinder is due to come out in November). The rest are stand-alone, and very very good, and very different from each other.

Posts: 115 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
If you like Ender, reading Worthing Saga. Follow that up with A Planet Called Treason. Those two are good to start with because they are both in the vein of Ender and Bean. Plus, the stories are just fun.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richd
Member # 12520

- posted      Profile for richd           Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, I am glad there are other open-minded people out there. I happen to be Mormon but strongly disagree with political stances of OSC. However, I find so much value in his works I will continue reading them. *Warning, rant ahead* I get so tired of people dismissing his writing b/c they disagree with his opinions. I find most other authors, politically correct as they may be, a total snore because their opinions are the same as current popularly held opinion and have nothing interesting to say.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l3db0
Member # 12577

- posted      Profile for l3db0   Email l3db0         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thanks you guys. Yes I definitely want to continue with OSC. Just needed some recommendations since he's so prolific.
Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished one of my favorite books of his again, Hart's Hope.

It's probably his most obscure book, but it's easily one of his best. Love it.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly1101
Member # 12562

I hate that book.
Posts: 115 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Hart's Hope is a little too extreme fantasy for me. I can't stand reading those silly names that people come up with. But that's me. I know a few who really liked it, so if you like fantasy give it a shot.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly1101
Member # 12562

I just didn't like the plot points the book depended on, with the child-rape, and then killing babies. It may be a hormonal thing. But I have a tough time with that.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember thinking "Wow, this book is out there, but still a good book." It has been over a decade since I read it though.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it, but I haven't read it since the early 90s, probably. I should probably give it a reread; I find that I've alomst completely forgotten what happens in it.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Hart's Hope quite a lot. But you're right, Kelly-- it depicts horrible things. I thought the payoff was worth the price.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.