FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender's Shadow contradiction?

Author Topic: Ender's Shadow contradiction?
Teemac
Member # 12682

- posted      Profile for Teemac   Email Teemac         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I may have found a contradiction in Ender's Shadow, as I only the audio book I'm not positive so any help would be good, also if this has already been found that would be good to know too.

The contradiction I think I have found is the number of new commanders from Dragon Army, in chapter 18 Bean says that all tune leaders, seconds, and himself were promoted to commanders, being that Dragon was split into 5 tunes each with a second that makes 10 plus Bean is 11. However in chapter 19, when Bean is making his speech about ignoring the standings he says, "there are nine of us here".

Thoughts?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jongo05
Member # 7580

- posted      Profile for jongo05   Email jongo05         Edit/Delete Post 
It happens.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, it's not "tune"; it's "toon", short for "platoon".
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually rereading "Ender in Exile" and "Shadow of the Giant," and I noticed that while in "Giant" Peter waits for "The Hegemon" to come out, but dies before it does, in "Exile," Ender writes the book quickly, sends it to Peter, and Peter is very moved by reading it.

I personally agree with Card that the newer ending makes a better story...but it is a bit frustrating, nonetheless.

Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by millernumber1:
I was actually rereading "Ender in Exile" and "Shadow of the Giant," and I noticed that while in "Giant" Peter waits for "The Hegemon" to come out, but dies before it does, in "Exile," Ender writes the book quickly, sends it to Peter, and Peter is very moved by reading it.

I personally agree with Card that the newer ending makes a better story...but it is a bit frustrating, nonetheless.

Peter may have read a draft that Ender sent him before he passed away. Ender may have not released the book until after Peter's (1st) death.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
That might work...except that the passage in "Giant" is from Peter's perspective right up until he dies...and it's clear he never read anything...
Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.