FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Flight ebook - 2013?

Author Topic: Flight ebook - 2013?
index.html
Member # 12727

- posted      Profile for index.html           Edit/Delete Post 
I am anxiously awaiting this book to be released this month. January 17th is on my calendar, and even Amazon has emailed me about preordering and all that jibjob.

On Amazon, the little box that says you can order on Kindle, HC or mp3/etc and it has their release dates. The audiobooks and HC states 1/17/2012, but the kindle edition (my preferred method of reading/buying books) states 2/1/2013??

I understand that mass market paperbacks aren't released until a while after HC books, supposedly so 'everyone can make their money' as a Barnes & Noble employee once told me, but why is the Kindle edition not coming out for over a year??

Or is this some sort of typo on Amazon's part? Here's a picture: OSC SIF

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
I think this actually does need to be addressed. I've seen more than few people asking about it.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
webmistress
Member # 12730

- posted      Profile for webmistress           Edit/Delete Post 
There is nearly a mob on Amazon's forum about the book and people are trying to figure out if they need to cancel their pre-orders. I personally dislike hardcover books and have only ever purchased two (so that I could read them before anyone told me what happened). That is why I purchased a kindle - being able to purchase a book immediately without all the bulk and weight of a hardcover. I think the fans deserve definitive answers as to if the release date for Kindle has changed, and if so, why.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
index.html
Member # 12727

Can't Mr. Card come on here and shed some light?
Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to Occupy Hatrack until I get an answer.

And by Occupy Hatrack, I mean that I'll keep checking back every day or two...

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by index.html:
Can't Mr. Card come on here and shed some light?

These things are most often determined by the publisher. The author may not even be informed.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
index.html
Member # 12727

Well seeing as he's the author, maybe he could check in on it for us and let us know? I want this book in an e-edition, but I'm not waiting until 2013 for an e-edition.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try contacting the publisher instead?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
index.html
Member # 12727

Ive read Amazon's forums and asked here. I dont know how to contact TOR.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I would bet there is a "contact us" link on their website.

[ January 13, 2012, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well seeing as he's the author, maybe he could check in on it for us and let us know?

Personally, I'd rather he spent the time writing books.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
index.html
Member # 12727

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Well seeing as he's the author, maybe he could check in on it for us and let us know?

Personally, I'd rather he spent the time writing books.
You're right. There's really no reason for this website, with that logic. He should just close this down. And stop eating. And stop breathing and just write.

There's no need to be a dick about it, rivka. He's the source of the story, you'd think he could take TWO SECONDS and answer this.

I'm just going to download the e-version off the net when it surfaces.

Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Well the release on Barnes and Nobles is this upcoming Tuesday, at least for the hardcover. I'd wait until then to see if the ebook's date has changed or if it has been uploaded. If it still isn't up, then you'll have room for doubt.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cdraney
Member # 12711

- posted      Profile for cdraney   Email cdraney         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the idea of an expanded e-book with cool new stuff, but respectfully, either have it ready with the HC or don't do it at all. Like others, I've pumped for this title, and wanted to read it on my Kindle. I'd rather have a plain vanilla e-book now than an enhanced e-book whenever they get it done.

BTW, has Tor always been a part of Macmillan, or is that a new thing? Maybe Tor and Card don't have much say about this whole thing.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
index.html
Member # 12727

The book is out, and still nothing? WTF man?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Contact Tor.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

From Orson Scott Card's Facebook page:

"If anybody's watching, Shadows in Flight comes out today. It's a short novel, but a full story. It introduces Bean's brilliant children - the ones with the same short-life giantism that gives them savant-like abilities in every area. There's no ebook for a year, but there'll be an "enhanced ebook" for Kindle and Nook within a couple of weeks, fully illustrated by Nick Greenwood (and deftly abridged by Jake Black.)."

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that publishers aren't going to make a habit of making ebooks (or in this case, enhanced ebooks) only compatible with certain devices. We don't need ereaders becoming like game consoles with exclusive titles.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
index.html
Member # 12727

I don't care about an 'enhanced' e-book. I just want the damn story. Ridiculous.

All this does is make sure that I'll pick this up at half-price books, or by some other means. Great going Mr Card/Tor/Amazon/Whoever-else-was-involved-with-this-idiocy.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

If you're just going to get it at Half-Price books, then why not buy the hardcover in support of the author anyway? You were willing to pay full price for the ebook version were it available. If you're willing to buy the actual copy, then I don't really understand your complaint as anything other than being upset about convenience. This isn't the first time people have dropped the ball in advertising a release of some sort, and it won't be the last. Getting up in arms about it on the author's website, who has little to do with the publication strategy, isn't going to affect any change.
index.html
Member # 12727

I don't support someone who is greedy and refuses to publish the book in a not-yet-standard-but-very-popular-format because he'd rather focus on some ridiculous 'enhanced video game version' of his book.

Even as upset as I and many others are, if the eBook was published today I'd buy it. But he'd rather wait a year because he thinks people will chomp at the bit so hard that they'll buy the more expensive hardcover, or that ridiculous enhanced book and just pay the price. Not gonna happen Orson.

He's gone through all the trouble of supporting an audiobook, which takes infinitely more effort and work rather than submitting A DOCUMENT to be converted for e-publication. It's less work, easily done, and it would make him money. But alas, he'd rather depend on sheeple to buy his wares, regardless. THAT is why I won't buy it on HC unless I can guarantee that he won't be paid for it.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Again. Orson Scott Card more than likely has no control over the release date, and it's outright rude to come on here and accuse him of being greedy when he's constantly sharing his heart and mind with his readers by even continuing to write. I'm not sure you really grasp the chain of command when it comes to publication schedules.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't support someone who is greedy and refuses to publish the book in a not-yet-standard-but-very-popular-format because he'd rather focus on some ridiculous 'enhanced video game version' of his book.

*snort* So you've got some sort of right (as what, a human being? A fan? Where does this right come from?) to have a book you want to read published in the format in which you want to read it?

quote:
He's gone through all the trouble of supporting an audiobook, which takes infinitely more effort and work rather than submitting A DOCUMENT to be converted for e-publication. It's less work, easily done, and it would make him money. But alas, he'd rather depend on sheeple to buy his wares, regardless. THAT is why I won't buy it on HC unless I can guarantee that he won't be paid for it.
Oh, God, you said 'sheeple' and apparently you meant it seriously. Not that it wasn't clear you weren't something of a buffoon already, but that really helps.

Hey, I can get being upset if a book isn't published in the way you want to read it. I mean, it's not very high at all on a list of upsets, but still as a fan it could be frustrating. I dig. But...that's really just about where it ends. If it's not sold in a format you want to read it in, then you have a very straightforward choice: don't buy it in the format you don't want to read it in. Full stop.

Don't try and claim you're exercising some violated 'right', or that other people are too stupid and herd-like to embrace your rebellious but right alternative. You want to read the story the way you want to read it, and if that option exists you'll just steal it. You'd sooner be a petty thief than not read the story you want to read the way you want to read it. Well, fine. Just don't try and pretend this is some other kind of situation, because you won't be taken seriously and you will be called on your adolescent whining.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Index: I thought you were out of line yesterday, and today I find it's just getting worse. You need to check yourself and reconsider what you are saying. Mr. Card is at the very least a fellow member of this board, if not the proprietor and owner, and as such personal attacks against his character are a violation of the TOS.

OK, you're upset that a book you want to read is not available in the format you wish to read it. Mr. Card as many have tried to explain to you is not able to just summon up a kindle version for you to read. He isn't an integral part of the process in how his books are released at this point either.

But you are out of line, and I hope you will put the brakes on that sort of posting yourself so I don't have to be involved any further.

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
index.html
Member # 12727

(Post Removed by Janitor Blade. Index.html cut me deep.)

[ January 18, 2012, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
He can count on me and everyone I know to buy every book he writes in the future. EVERYONE I know. Literally. Because they all do what I say.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
(Post edited by Janitor Blade. Removing quoted portion).

You mad, bro?

[ January 18, 2012, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
index.html
Member # 12727

lol
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Awww, man, but index was in the middle of an entertaining whiny tantrum!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Awww, man, but index was in the middle of an entertaining whiny tantrum!

I know what you mean...there's a certain amount of guilty pleasure in watching a train-wreck...

must...look...away...

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dandy_andi
Member # 12750

- posted      Profile for dandy_andi           Edit/Delete Post 
I tweeted @torbooks, and after several days they finally responded that the enhanced e-book is currently due out some time this March, but the book isn't finished yet so Amazon has apparently put out a very long expected date. It's an under promise over deliver kind of thing.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speaker Dash
Member # 12937

- posted      Profile for Speaker Dash   Email Speaker Dash         Edit/Delete Post 
[/qb][/QUOTE]
I'm just going to download the e-version off the net when it surfaces. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. That thing is as scarce as a Dodo bird. I've looked everywhere. I'll probably breakdown and buy the paperback. Haven't done that in YEARS.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

I bought the hardcover on day 1. It was worth it. I loved the book, even though it was so short. It still felt like a complete story with new characters and a new story. The ending was also well done.

I hope the next one doesn't take as long to make.

Alexbrit
Member # 12945

- posted      Profile for Alexbrit   Email Alexbrit         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this needs to be addressed.I am new here and residing on work visa.I am happy to know about such an important information.
Thanks for sharing.

investor visa australia

[ February 09, 2013, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Alexbrit ]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.