FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Publication of the Shadows in Flight eBook Has Been Handled Terribly

Author Topic: The Publication of the Shadows in Flight eBook Has Been Handled Terribly
A Pissed-Off Reader
Member # 12744

- posted      Profile for A Pissed-Off Reader           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card, you and/or your publisher have done a terrible job communicating with readers about the release of the Shadows in Flight eBook. I preordered the Kindle eBook (originally scheduled for release last month), only to have its release date changed several times with no explanation given until today, when I hear that it won't even be released until long after your "enhanced" version.

This is the opposite of what you originally stated and seems like an attempt to coerce people into buying your (presumably more expensive) "enhanced" version, though even for that they'll have to wait. I don't want* an "enhanced" version, particularly not an abridged one. I just want to read your book. This discussion on Amazon.com has many other readers who were similarly confused and angered by these unexplained and unexpected changes.

I don't read paper books anymore, so postponing your release by a year has ensured that I am going to download the book illegally instead. Given that you seem to be screwing you readers in an attempt to make a few more cents, I'm going to put the ten bucks I'm not spending on your book into distributing pirated copies to the other disappointed eBook-preferring readers.

Cheers.

* Okay, I actually was intrigued when I first read this and probably would have checked it out after reading the book. As thing stand, I no longer have any interest.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
So, let me get this straight:

You enjoy OSC's books, therefore an availability structure you don't agree with is forcing you to illegally obtain a copy, and to illegally distribute them, because you are now entitled to reading, at your convenience, the words that OSC is paid (as his livelihood) to write?

Just making sure we're clear.

I'm disappointed about the availability of the standard Kindle edition, too. That doesn't give me a right to huff and puff and make demands and say that OSC and his publishers owe me anything, and have justified anything illegal I would then elect to do as a glorified tantrum.

Just sayin'.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the ebook situation with Shadows in Flight didn't work out quite right, and I can see why it's resulted in frustrated readers.

You, however, are just whining about not having what you want when you want it. Also, I don't know much about what happens behind the scenes, but I suspect that you are assuming that OSC has much more control over publishing matters than he probably does, so your beef is with Tor and Amazon. Don't want to buy a physical book? There are other options. Borrow it from a library to read now, and then purchase the e-edition when it's available. Or just wait. I know that neither of those are what you want, but this sense of entitlement that you're displaying is shameful.

Coming on OSC's own website, complaining, and then threatening to steal his work is a pretty jack ass move.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
Coming on OSC's own website, complaining, and then threatening to steal his work is a pretty jack ass move.

And I guess it didn't get enough attention in his original thread, so he had to create a new thread -- and a new screenname -- to make sure it did.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Also, I personally wouldn't tell an author who has the ability to find out my IP address (since you're posting on his website, and all) that I intend to illegally distribute his book on the internet. That's just me though.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly1101
Member # 12562

- posted      Profile for Kelly1101           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree that the ebook situation with Shadows in Flight didn't work out quite right, and I can see why it's resulted in frustrated readers.

You, however, are just whining about not having what you want when you want it. Also, I don't know much about what happens behind the scenes, but I suspect that you are assuming that OSC has much more control over publishing matters than he probably does, so your beef is with Tor and Amazon. Don't want to buy a physical book? There are other options. Borrow it from a library to read now, and then purchase the e-edition when it's available. Or just wait. I know that neither of those are what you want, but this sense of entitlement that you're displaying is shameful.

This. OSC is not your bitch. You aren't entitled to his work.

Yes, this is something that is troubling to a lot of people, and yes, I think it will have to be addressed. But that doesn't mean you have to act like a 3-year-old about it.

Posts: 115 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
index.html
Member # 12727

- posted      Profile for index.html           Edit/Delete Post 
(Post Removed by Janitor Blade. Vulgar language against another poster)

[ January 18, 2012, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You mean we have two immature new posters who think the universe owes them an ebook version when they want it and how they want it?

Awesome.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
la.SOMA
Member # 10608

- posted      Profile for la.SOMA   Email la.SOMA         Edit/Delete Post 
God forbid they actually turn some real pages to read. It's a BOOK. A few years ago we didn't really have the luxury of cramming our book collection onto neat little devices.

I can understand such frustration but consider the way you're acting.

If you were that eager to read the story then you'd jump any hurdle to do so - even if that meant going to the good ol' book store like the old days. Hell, I'm even so eager to check out the MMB that I've highly considered purchasing a supported ebook reader to do so.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
index.html
Member # 12727

(Post Removed by Janitor Blade. Vulgar attacks against other posters.)

[ January 18, 2012, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I have read, OSC doesn't even care all that much about his books being pirated.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
index.html
Member # 12727

quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
From what I have read, OSC doesn't even care all that much about his books being pirated.

Or published.
la.SOMA
Member # 10608

I think index is mistaking hatrack for 4chan.

I have to admit, though, It's really tempting to ask "umadbro?"

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
You mean we have two immature new posters who think the universe owes them an ebook version when they want it and how they want it?

Awesome.

Good summary.
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
index.html
Member # 12727

(Post Removed by Janitor Blade. Attacking another poster with an insult that doesn't even make sense.)

[ January 18, 2012, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

la.SOMA
Member # 10608

Then I suggest going there to find some sympathy.

Whatever. I'm done with this guy.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, my understanding is that Mr. Card is working on multiple projects right now, and I'd much rather he spend his time writing than responding to personal attacks on his websites.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
Originally posted by la.SOMA:
God forbid they actually turn some real pages to read. It's a BOOK. A few years ago we didn't really have the luxury of cramming our book collection onto neat little devices.

And back in the olden days, you know what we did if we didn't want to buy a hardcover? We patiently waited 10-12 months for the book to be released in paperback.

Imagine that, people waiting an entire year to get books in the format that they want.

index.html
Member # 12727

Look, I understand that 'errybuddy needs to be paid, yo', but you'd think the ebook fix would be PRETTY easy.

First, you create an email to "newbookfinished@OSCspubliser.com", and title it "Shadows in Flight for ebook." Then, you go to where you have your .docx (or if you're OG, .wpd) file, and then attach it to the email and enter this as the body:

"Hello Shiela, I've finished Shadows in Flight, and here is the final draft that has been edited, formatted properly and is 100% ready to go. Can you have the guys over at Amazon convert this to a .azw that way it's released as an eBook the same day as the physical copy? Thanks. I need to get back to my hatespeeches.

Orson."

And boom. We have an ebook. Hell, he could even send it to OrsonScottCard@kindle.com and they'd do it for him. Takes 20 minutes, tops.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Again, I don't think it's up to OSC when the ebook gets released. Writers write books, publishers publish them. He could email it to them until the cows come home but they decide when and how to sell it.

Furthermore, I don't see how this situation is motivated by greed when if anything the lack of e-edition is costing them sales.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I agree with neo-dragon. Ebooks are stealing sales of books from publishers and authors, and the publishers are the ones who negotiate release dates and contractual obligations with vendors for various formats. This removes the issue from Orson Scott Card's hands as there are a variety of other steps involved in the process.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man, I don't know rivka, I like index.html. Not only is it generally entertaining to watch someone make a self-righteous fool of themselves, there's also the added benefit of getting a little reality check: Hey, at least I ain't this guy. Or if I am, at least I've got enough dignity not to try and concoct a justification for stealing a book to explain to other people, and then get all pissy when they point out how stupid and self-serving my reasoning is.

Hell, dude, or dudes if you actually are two people: nobody here has a hope in hell, if they would even want to, of stopping you from stealing all kinds of media at pretty much anytime you wished to. Why are you talking about it when you could just go be doing it?

Bear in mind, though, I'm not asking you to stop, because they, entertainment is where you find it and right now it's here. I'm asking to see what sort of flimsy argument you might have to cover up the actual, transparent motive of, "I'm pissed and I want to bitch about it."

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Again, I don't think it's up to OSC when the ebook gets released. Writers write books, publishers publish them. He could email it to them until the cows come home but they decide when and how to sell it.

Which is one of the reasons why some authors have made the decision to stop publishing through major publishing houses and publish ebooks (and POD paperbacks) independently. Which has worked really well for some authors, and really, really badly for others. Making that jump is definitely a risk, and one I don't expect OSC to make anytime soon.

Plus, there are a lot of people at his publishing houses that OSC has worked with for years (in some cases decades).

So I don't see OSC publishing from his email outbox direct to @Kindle.com anytime soon.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

For me personally, Orson Scott Card is my favorite author, and I much more relish the opportunity to own an actual copy of his books (though there are a few I also have on my Nook for travel). I would be distraught if he chose to go entirely ebook for a variety of reasons: one of those reasons being it's much harder to loan out an ebook to spread word about a book.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped buying his books when he became a crackpot. Much the same way I stopped seeing Tom Cruise's movies. I vote with my dollar.

I will, however, borrow the new ones that are any good. And accept them as gifts, if it's something I particularly want.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Kevin Tumlinson
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for J. Kevin Tumlinson   Email J. Kevin Tumlinson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I would have preferred reading this on my Kindle, but I'm too impatient to wait a year. Wish I hadn't pre-ordered it now, which is a crying shame.

Actually, I understand why this would anger so many people. They changed the date pretty close to the projected release date, and it just seemed so far fetched that it would actually be extended by a year. The book is there ... it takes no effort to convert it to the Kindle format -- I do it for my authors all the time. That's a year of lost revenue for the publisher and the author. It's really just hard to understand, and frustrating to hear no answers from the publisher.

I pre-purchased this book the day that option became available. I feel a smidge cheated that the release date changed at the last minute, while the printed copy was released on schedule. Not sure WHY I feel cheated, but I do.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Pity parties are the best. [Party]
index.html
Member # 12727

(Post Removed by Janitor Blade.)

[ January 18, 2012, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
Janitor - please boot index and block his IP address. Thanks.
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dandy_andi
Member # 12750

- posted      Profile for dandy_andi           Edit/Delete Post 
I tweeted @torbooks, and after several days they finally responded that the enhanced e-book is currently due out some time this March, but the book isn't finished yet so Amazon has apparently put out a very long expected date. It's an under promise over deliver kind of thing.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say about this is that I was really hoping to get the ebook version, but now I'm going to buy the hardcover. Since I have traditionally bought OSC's books in their physical form, it's not a huge deal. I just thought having the ebook would be more convenient.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I special ordered it from a locally owned bookstore in my college town, and it arrived today. So, I'm going to pick it up this afternoon.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DustinDopps:
Janitor - please boot index and block his IP address. Thanks.

Yeah, and then make me a sammich!
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
la.SOMA
Member # 10608

[ROFL]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.