FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender's Game': Meet the Cast!

Author Topic: Ender's Game': Meet the Cast!
Razputin
Member # 9522

- posted      Profile for Razputin   Email Razputin         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20577069,00.html

A couple big names, at least.

Harrison Ford (Colonel Hyrum Graff)
Sir Ben Kingsley (Mazer Rackham)

Posts: 40 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender47
Member # 6670

- posted      Profile for Ender47   Email Ender47         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link! I'm curious what OSC thinks about these casting choices. There's a statement on the help desk page stating, "all the announced cast so far are good actors in OSC's opinion." But I can't help wondering how he feels, finally seeing his work transformed into a visual reality with these faces...must be weird.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping that the little blurbs about who the people are is not completely accurate. The Bean description is the one that first comes to mind - Yes, by the end of it they were friends, but Ender is not to Bean what Dink or Petra were to Ender.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jpgray
Member # 12776

- posted      Profile for jpgray   Email jpgray         Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting to see that they've got a female playing Major Anderson. Should definitely make the Anderspon-Graff dynamic different, though.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
Female Major Anderson?
I hoped that Ford will play Rackham.

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I just want to say, they could be puppets for all I care. Thank you Hollywood for finding a way to make this project palatable to Mr. Card, I have been waiting for this for 15 years.

Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KirKis
Member # 12454

- posted      Profile for KirKis           Edit/Delete Post 
OMG Harrison Ford for Graff?

Also I really liked their choice for Bean.

I'm excited...

Posts: 91 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I was surprised who came up after Fly Molo:

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20483133_20548946,00.html?stitched

I mean...I knew they'd have to make some changes in the screenplay, but this is too much.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, I looked up the IMDB and there is a kid whose real name is Nonso, I did a double take and had to make sure they hadn't changed Bonzo's name.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly1101
Member # 12562

- posted      Profile for Kelly1101           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
I was surprised who came up after Fly Molo:

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20483133_20548946,00.html?stitched

I mean...I knew they'd have to make some changes in the screenplay, but this is too much.

LMAOOOO [ROFL]

OMG LINCOLN WAS PUT ON A SPACESHIP AND SENT THROUGH TIME BY RELATIVITY TO SAVE US IN OUR BATTLE AGAINST THE ALIENS.

Posts: 115 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty hard to read Card's review of Hunger Games without reading between the lines and thinking that the director of Ender's Game has given him the shaft and is going to butcher the book:

http://greensboro.rhinotimes.com/Articles-Columns-c-2012-04-04-211530.112113-Hunger-Expectations-16-Gallons-Per-Flush.html

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. The bitterness comes through loud and clear.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
oh gee.. that makes me kinda sad.
I hope the script isn't that bad.

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're reading something into it that isn't there. All indications from cast and crew are that there is major respect for the original EG book, and that there has been insightful communication with OSC on the project. The filmmakers - and many of the actors - are very clearly fans of the book, and OSC has gone on record saying that he feels they 'get it'.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope so. It would surely have been an odd way for him to vent about something like that, but on the other hand it sure sounds like he's fired up about that topic.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Even so, it could be based on past experiences, rather than current ones.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
How can OSC talk so much about how the movie was a good representation of the book and then go on to say he never read the book?
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
How can OSC talk so much about how the movie was a good representation of the book and then go on to say he never read the book?

was thinking the same thing.

made it all sound even more like a personal rant rather than a real review.

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pepek:

made it all sound even more like a personal rant rather than a real review.

Which is why I stopped reading most of his reviews a long time ago!
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BryanP:
I hope so. It would surely have been an odd way for him to vent about something like that, but on the other hand it sure sounds like he's fired up about that topic.

I've heard Mr. Card talk about the perils and benefits of having an author on set long before Hunger Games was released. I'm sure he mentioned it in regards to the Harry Potter movies.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve_G
Member # 10101

- posted      Profile for Steve_G   Email Steve_G         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same question when reading it. Perhaps other members of his family read it and told him what was an wasn't changed in the movie from the books. Still, his authoritative voice doesn't jive with the revelation that he never read them.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PeterWolf10
Member # 12822

- posted      Profile for PeterWolf10   Email PeterWolf10         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I don't quite understand about an Ender's Game movie: Much of the book is based on inner dialogue, and the thoughts of the characters. How does that translate into a movie? Endless voiceovers?
Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bCurt
Member # 5476

- posted      Profile for bCurt   Email bCurt         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is pretty much what OSC has stated in the past is difficult about making an Ender's Game movie. When he was working on a script he mentioned using Ender's Shadow to provide more voice to the story.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PeterWolf10
Member # 12822

- posted      Profile for PeterWolf10   Email PeterWolf10         Edit/Delete Post 
K. Well, I hope that this movie turns out well, and even be worth watching for those who read Ender's Game.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

The inner dialogue issue comes up a lot when trying to turn a book into a screenplay. It can change the whole experience of the story.

The way i've decided to look at it is this: it's a movie that's based on a screenplay that's based on a book.

Orson had a vision, and now he has given someone else permission to show us their take on Ender's story.

I'm not going to go into it expecting to see the book.

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

This discussion reminds me of the Abyss. Both the book and the movie are good, and in different ways, but when read/watched together they complete each other as no book nor movie can do by itself.

And it really is a question of the strengths and weaknesses of the particular medium. A movie conveys emotion (through acting and music), visuals, and has immediate impact that books can rarely can, and books have a depth of understanding, detail and characters which are nearly impossible in a movie.

A good movie/book combo work together hand and glove to give the audience/reader a more complete experience of the work they depict.

For EG the movie to be a good movie, there will have to be changes from the book, and I have no doubt that some people will be very dissatisfied that there -any- changes, regardless if they are good or bad.

I hope EG the movie doesn't try and be EG the book, as EG the book is already here and wonderful. I hope EG the movie is a good movie, which helps complete the experience that EG and ES started by providing what a book can never have.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PeterWolf10
Member # 12822

Personally, I would prefer it to be a parallel story to EG, like Ender's Shadow; that way they wouldn't have to change anything (personally, I always found Dink Meeker interesting). Unfortunately, it's probably too late for that, now that the movie's title has been revealed. Despite that, my irrational hopes will continue.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The difference is that the novelization of Abyss was BASED ON the movie. It's an entirely different situation than going in the other direction.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

IIRC, that's not true...the movie and book were made at the same time...not the movie then the book...the actors got to read it so they knew the back story, and the book would reflect the final cut of the movie.

Yes, EG won't be the same kind of thing as the Abyss.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Now you've got me curious. I just went to look for my copy, to read the fore and afterword. Couldn't find it, though.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

quote:
Card wrote the novel based on the screenplay and discussions with Cameron. He wrote back stories for Bud Brigman, Lindsey Brigman and Hiram Coffey as a means not only of helping the actors define their roles, but also to justify some of their behavior and mannerisms in the film.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Abyss_*Orson_Scott_Card_novel**

(Won't let me make it an url because there is a paranthasis in the addy for some odd reason)

* = (
** = )

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Wait...it auto linked for me? Is that a new feature?

http://www.testingtesting123.com/

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yeah, that tracks with my memory. And doesn't in the least affect the point that I was making, which is that making a movie from a novel is an entirely different process than the other way around.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

I'm glad we agree so thoroughly.
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
PeterWolf-- OSC said somewhere that it's kind of a combination of ES and EG.

I'm so excited for the movie!

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bCurt
Member # 5476

- posted      Profile for bCurt   Email bCurt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PeterWolf-- OSC said somewhere that it's kind of a combination of ES and EG.
When he was writing the script. Gavin Hood (also the director) is getting the script writing credit but hopefully got some good ideas from OSC's script.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.