FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Any sort of ETA on Shadows Alive?

Author Topic: Any sort of ETA on Shadows Alive?
chmcke01
Member # 12603

- posted      Profile for chmcke01   Email chmcke01         Edit/Delete Post 
I have looked and looked but cannot find any sort of ETA for Shadows Alive, all I am seeing is a brief description. Is he currently writing it or is it simply on his "to-do" list for later? I know that since his last book came out only about 7 months ago I shouldn't expect anything too soon but if it will be quite a while I would love to be able to adjust my expectations accordingly.

Has anyone seen or heard ANY information about the stage of development or when it will be available?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
We probably won't see it get released for another year or two. Card is a bit slow with sequel novels right now since he's writing so many different series. He's been writing Pathfinder 2, Lost Gate 2, and possibly Shadows Alive. He can only write so much, after all.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chmcke01
Member # 12603

- posted      Profile for chmcke01   Email chmcke01         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know he writes a lot, its just where Shadows Alive and Shadows in Flight were originally going to be one book that he may have just continued on and written Shadows Alive while he was in the Enderverse mindset.

I accept that it will probably be a while, but even just an expected year of release would be greatly appreciated and in my opinion not too much to ask.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it was also revealed he's been at work on the sequel to the novel Lovelock which is titled Rasputin.

quote:
Originally posted by kacard:
OSC is also in the process of finishing Rasputin with Kathryn Kidd.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not getting my hopes up. Not because I think Kristine would ever lie but because if I do and they don't finish it I'll be crushed. I've been waiting for that book since the Clinton administration.

quote:
We probably won't see it get released for another year or two. Card is a bit slow with sequel novels right now since he's writing so many different series. He's been writing Pathfinder 2, Lost Gate 2, and possibly Shadows Alive. He can only write so much, after all.
Plus started a new magizine of sorts (and is still doing his weekly column for his local paper).

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
I've been waiting for that book since the Clinton administration.

You're not the only one.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

You mean Bill?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I can tell you when it’s going to happen. Shadows Alive will come out at the same time as Ender’s Game the movie next year. I can pretty much guarantee that’s when it will happen! It’s smart all the way around.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Jay brings up a good point. That would be a solid marketing move.
Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

It would. But I don't see it happening that way.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC seems to treat deadlines sort of like teenagers treat speedbumps. They're there for a reason, but it's fun to go over. Not that I'm complaining- the process is the process.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The Douglas Adams school of thought.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm happy to wait for a book while he takes his time working on the project. Though, there are some books which I'm less patient for lately than I used to be. [Razz]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
The Douglas Adams school of thought.

I was thinking the same thing. Although, Adams was incourigable enough to warrant, in more than one case I believe, actual professional babysitting while he completed certain projects.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

He had a Queen Latifah?
Hobbes
Member # 433

Man I liked that movie. Ever since I've wanted to either give or recieve flours in a relationship.

Hobbes [Smile]

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry I og-ogled you.

Okay, but only because you studdered.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Man I liked that movie.

Me too. It's a frequent rewatch for me.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I've just ruled out half of Greek literature, seven fairy tales, ten Chinese fables, and determined conclusively that you are not King Hamlet, Scout Finch, Miss Marple, Frankenstein's Monster, or a golem. Hmm? Aren't you relieved to know you're not a golem?
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, I know he writes a lot,
LOL
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mulrich
Member # 12863

- posted      Profile for mulrich   Email mulrich         Edit/Delete Post 
At the end of Pathfinder Card mentions that he writes about a chapter a day. If you figure each book is about 25 chapters that means 5 solid weeks of writing per book. I'm betting there's lots more time allocated for outlining/story boarding on the front end and editing/revising on the back end. Also add in all the side projects he's involved with. Also the fact that it's impossible to actually sit down and write for 25 consecutive days. I think 1-2 books per year sounds about right (which is about what he produces).
I just wish he would work on the books that I want to read next…
Master Alvin (he has to write it eventually, right, right?)
Formic War II
Pastwatch: The Flood (The original is still one of my favorites)

I read Earth Unaware, Pathfinder, and Shadows in Flight this week and I'm interested in sequels in the same order. Shadows Alive would be nice just to (hopefully) conclude the Ender storyline but Shadows in Flight didn't leave me wanting more (it could have been better at 1/3 the length). The other two have me intrigued but I'd still rather see the Alvin series wrapped up first. It seems like he's in an Ender world kick right now (probably due to the movie) so I'm betting we see Shadows Alive and the sequel to Earth Unaware before too much else is published.

Pathfinder seems like a combination of the Ender series (space colonization) and the Alvin series (frontier knacks) so maybe that will get him back into Alvin Maker. I doubt it but I can hope. It's been so long I wonder if Alvin is something he even remembers.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

Hey, it's never too late to write a sequel. Joe Haldeman wrote the only direct sequel to The Forever War 25 years later. It was called Forever Free and picked up with the same characters from the original.

So it can totally be done.

Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
Just re-listened to 7th Son, Red Prophet, and am currently listening to Prentice Alvin again so I was checking back in to see if there were any updates and what do you know, here is a discussion on the topic. In the afterword to the audio book of 7th Son OSC stated that Master Alvin would be the last book even if it is 3000 pages long. So it might be a year's worth of writing by itself.
Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.