FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Finishing Series

Author Topic: Finishing Series
MikeMarine
Member # 12859

- posted      Profile for MikeMarine   Email MikeMarine         Edit/Delete Post 
I love reading Orson's work. I've enjoyed him since the 1978 World Science Fiction Convention in Phoenix. I have hardbacks of all available as such. I've had many autographed by him. However, I'm about to go crazy. I love the Alvin Maker series (not finished); I love the Ender's Universe (not finished); I love The Women of Genesis series (not finished). Now we have the two new young adult books with 2 more contracted for on each one in the next two years AND another Ender trilogy starting with two more down the road. I refuse to by another OSC work unless it is to complete the above referenced series that I started reading OVER 20 YEARS AGO!
My children are also rabid OSC fans and have suggested marketing t-shirts with verbage like:
WHEN WILL ENDER'S END?; DOES GENESIS FINISH?; WILL ALVIN MAKER EVER BE MADE?. I've read the interviews, heard him speak but he's becoming like Harlan Ellison (I'm truly sorry for the comparison, Mr. Card) with the never ending LAST DANGEROUS VISIONS dangling just out of touch. Please start finishing the series that made you famous and has brought me, my wife, my children and now my grandchildren into your thrall. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Think of it more of a canceled tv show like Firefly. Assume the worst, rejoice if you are wrong.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeMarine
Member # 12859

- posted      Profile for MikeMarine   Email MikeMarine         Edit/Delete Post 
At least with Firefly they made the movie Serenity to make it easier. So many things are hanging and they have been for YEARS. I got a note from his assistant saying his publisher tells him what to write, that's only if he signs contracts for new books. He now has 6 books, 3 a year on his plate, that he signed for. I guarantee if he wrote the last Alvin Maker book he'd sell a ton of them because we're all waiting for it. I'm getting older with many infirmities (Agent Orange-Viet Nam), I may die before Firefly is off the air, so to speak. I'd like to know the conclusion. Does Alvin get killed, like Joseph Smith, his model?
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, he gets killed. Card's never made any bones about that.

I sympathize with how you're feeling. I'm not avidly awaiting any of the books that you are, but I spent years gnawing the furniture waiting for that third Dangerous Visions anthology, and the wait for Martin's 4th and 5th Ice and Fire books was agonizing.

I do think, though, that Neil Gaiman had the right of it with his "George R.R. Martin is not your bitch" piece.

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeMarine
Member # 12859

What scares me is, having heard him say it at a convention. He claims he is going to have Susan burn everything when he dies that isn't published........I too eagerly await Last Dangerous Visions....at the 78 World Convention where Orson won new rising star award Ellison said it was 2 volumns and would be published in 2 years.....I agree with respecting the artist but George R R Martin is working that series to the end, albiet a long distance we know it is coming. Mr. Card is having to write 3 books a year for the next two years by contract. So we know the burner the other series go on. It's good to know others wait on the same works. The difference with Orson is that Frank Herbert and other writers who carried series forward began putting out garbage. Was any other Dune book as good as the first? Mr. Card's work has always maintained a standard of excellence throughout. That's why the series are so good.
Jeff C.
Member # 12496

- posted      Profile for Jeff C.           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I don't know if I agree with you about the quality of his work, but I would certainly like to see the conclusion of his series. It sort of bums me out that all of his stuff is mostly unresolved at this point. It really makes it difficult to be a fan at times. Still, if you look at the Ender series as starting with EG and ending with Xenocide (the way it was originally intended), then I think that's satisfying. Alvin Maker is, of course, a different story.

The quality of his work, on the other hand, is debatable. I think 80's Card had much better ideas, but that's me. Next to Ender's Game, my favorite books of his are Treason, Worthing Saga, and Speaker for the Dead. His other stuff is great, too, but he seemed to really hit his stride in the 80's and early 90's for some reason.

As for sequels, I think everyone can agree that the two most eagerly awaited of them are Seventh Son and Shadows Alive. If he can just knock out those two books, we'll hopefully get the conclusions we want. The man stretches himself way too thin, which is remarkable, but also regrettable. He teaches, he writes books and articles and blogs, he has a family, directs plays, and I'm fairly certain he's involved in his church in some capacity. That's a lot of work and he still manages a few books a year. Very impressive.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeMarine
Member # 12859

He's a counselor in the Bishopric of his ward. That's a lot of time, I've been there and been Bishop twice. Most writers do this though. Look at Ellison's life. He's only slowing down because of his age. Another favorite of mine was Lost Boys. I just found a 1st edition at Bookman's for $3 in perfect condition. Take care, eat healthy and maybe we'll make it to the conclusion of one of the better series.
Kelly1101
Member # 12562

- posted      Profile for Kelly1101           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jake:

I do think, though, that Neil Gaiman had the right of it with his "George R.R. Martin is not your bitch" piece.

This was my first thought. And something that should be posted every month or so, to keep reminding people.

Although I wish GRRM was my bitch. How many more years? *cries*

Posts: 115 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
millernumber1
Member # 9894

- posted      Profile for millernumber1   Email millernumber1         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. I would and will pay through the nose for Shadows Alive, but I'm actually really happy with where everyone is in the Ender series. Yes, there are more stories, but unlike Xenocide or most of the Shadow books, it's not a cliffhanger.

I leave all the Ender books feeling satisfied, but perfectly happy and excited to read another one. But maybe that's just me.

That being said, I really hope OSC takes care of himself! I also enjoy the Lost Gate series, and would love to have that trilogy as well.

Posts: 428 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZachC
Member # 12709

- posted      Profile for ZachC   Email ZachC         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you put me down for one of those t-shirts?
Posts: 87 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.