FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Where did Orson get the idea for the name of Ender?

Author Topic: Where did Orson get the idea for the name of Ender?
Stand Watie
Member # 12895

- posted      Profile for Stand Watie           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody here know if he's ever commented on it? I ask out of mere curiousity (That is like 'Mere Christianity' but not written by a theologian), because I know a couple or three andrew wiggin's.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, 'Ender' is how Valentine pronounced Andrew when she was very young.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, he said in a video interview that when he started writing the story he thought of the term "End Game" from chess and wrote that down at the top of his paper.

The video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cs1Mhu7Fx9w and on the main hatrack page. The part I'm referring to is around :57.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bCurt
Member # 5476

- posted      Profile for bCurt   Email bCurt         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe both answers are correct. He got Ender from "End Game" but used Valentine's pronunciation of Andrew as the reason in the fictional 'verse.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josh Cooper
Member # 11533

- posted      Profile for Josh Cooper   Email Josh Cooper         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that was suggested in Ender's conversation with Mick.

"I'm Mick."
"Ender."
"That's a name?"
"Since I was little. It's what my sister called me."
"Not a bad name here. Ender. Finisher. Hey."

In the story, it's from his sister, but it also suggests that he is the one who will end the war.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.